Your Top 10 Classical Composers

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Okay here is my list...Beethoven is first, and Tchaikovsky is my second favorite, the rest change places over time.

Beethoven, Saint Saens, Chopin, Dvorak, Haydn in the top row.

hrg38z.jpg

Lizst, Rimsky-Korsakov, Schumann, Shostakovich, Tchaikovsky on the bottom

I could easily have added Brahms or Mozart but I like to see a variety between our lists.:grinthumb

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
^^Surprisingly Yngwie and a couple of other master shredders have done some "classical' Compositions Lynch...and if he's your only pick then that is fine with me.:D

He wouldn't be my only pick, but he would be my only contemporary-type choice. So yeah, put him on my list. :D

I'm not huge into classical music by any means, but what I like, I really like. Top of the list of course has got to be Beethoven. Others that I don't mind listening to every so often are Wagner, Mozart and Bach. Another one I like, but probably wouldn't be considered a "classical composer" would be Martin Luther, someone who from what I remember was a big influence on Bach himself. That's gotta say something.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Uli Jon Roth is another guitarist who has released 4 classical albums, and I have this one in the collection.

20a3n6w.jpg

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
Outstanding Top 10 there LG, and beautifully done with the composer pic/portraits too! I don't know about you, but unlike rock music, where to me my favourite artists remain my favourite artists almost unchanging from year to year, with composers it is a far more fluent thing, with my preferences changing all the time, which I don't quite understand why that is! My Top 10 today could have 5 or 6 new faces in it if I did a new Top 10 in a few weeks time. I obviously go to a lot of concerts as it is my wifes' job, so that may have something to do with it as I frequently sit through works by composers that I hadn't heard for a while, and instantly recognise their greatness, live music I think is very good for that. Rimsky-Korsakov and Saint-Saens are interesting choices, most of their works possibly not as well known as many of the others, with a few noteable exceptions, but both deserving of a place in the upper reaches of the classical composers world. Have to talk some more classical later, have to go, but your Top 10 was well worth the wait!

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Thanks TS, I like to put a face to the names...and like you my top 10 change with the exception of Ludwig and Pyotr, they seem to be permanently perched at the top.

I would recommend Rimsky's collected Suites for anyone interested in great classical music, and Saint-Saens is very good, I thought about Debussy, or Berlioz but wanted to show Camille some love.

noodlez

Reaction score
Most of the composers I would list have already been posted. Hardly ever listen to classical nowadays. Dvorak is probably my favorite overall, but here's a couple rarely mentioned ones that I enjoy:

Christopher Rouse - Loves to take music to it's extremes - delicate and quiet to ferocious and menacing. It's not for everyone...very experimental and bizarre...little melody to follow along to. Lots of chaos and randomness.

Check it out:

Stheno from Gorgon

Paul Hindemith

----------------
Now playing: Gov't Mule - Blind Man in the Dark
via FoxyTunes

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I have 8 Hindemith CD's, but Rouse is a new one for me. Good to see another classical fan pop out of the woodwork Noodlez.:mn:

Kink Floyd

Reaction score
I like the lists I'm seeing here.

I personally haven't even listened to enough classical music, but I'm looking to. So far, my go to guy is Mozart, I've just bought that big boxset put out by the Brilliant Classics label. He's very melodic and accessible, just like Herbie Hancock was for Jazz (my go to guy for Jazz).

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Nice to see you giving Amadeus a listen Kink Floyd. There are a lot of excellent box sets available now for a great price making it very accessible to all fans if they want to explore the marvels of the classical genre.

Brilliant has done some great collections recently, keeping the music alive.

Mozart is melodic and writes beautiful music, you can't go wrong with him.

MozartBoxSet.jpg

Kink Floyd

Reaction score
^^Nice to see you giving Amadeus a listen Kink Floyd. There are a lot of excellent box sets available now for a great price making it very accessible to all fans if they want to explore the marvels of the classical genre.

Brilliant has done some great collections recently, keeping the music alive.

Mozart is melodic and writes beautiful music, you can't go wrong with him.

MozartBoxSet.jpg

Agreed with Mozart, many of his pieces are featured in commercials and movies so the "recognizablity" factor is there. and he's pretty prolific having made a wide range of music, symphonies, concertos, operas, etc. I think he's a good artist for beginners to taste test to truly dive into classical.

And god bless Brilliant for their box sets. They are the bargain bin collections of the decade!

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online