Your Favourite Pieces.

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
Superb stuff fellas - the 'Great Gates of Kiev' section right at the end, in Ravel's orchestration, has to be one of those pieces that makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up when you hear it.

On the Russian theme, not much time tonight, but I'll just post this as it was the first thing that came up on my iPod this morning when I just hit the shuffle button, and as ever it blew me away, and put me in the mood for more Tchaikovsky with my symphony tomorrow!... so I played it a second time! Make sure all the cannons going off dont make you jump too much!!

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score
sarah-roemer.jpg

wonder-woman-reboot-20101004044004597.jpg

:flirt

Last edited:

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
LG great stuff .. as you know I don't know very much about classical music really but I enjoyed your vid ,, so I am scribbling notes on stuff posted in here. :grinthumb

TS I love that one.

Mr. Shadow more for my notepad.:cheers2

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
Couple of amazing pieces here from 'Planets Suite' composed by Gustav Holst, unless you have giant speakers and tolerant neighbours, you especially really have to listen to 'Mars : The Bringer of War' with your headphone on loud to achieve the full sonic effect, it's essentially an all-out musical stamped like 'Supernaut' from Black Sabbath Volume 4 or something, but written for a 120 piece classical orchestra in 1915!!! ...and significantly during the early years of WWI, so I think you can hear what Holst was trying to illustrate, it's incredibly war-like. I love the images of the Maritan landscape that the video shows here too...

The second piece is 'Jupiter : The Bringer of Jollity' which is far more optimistic, but no less grand and inspiring, with that great Holst hymn-tune 'I Vow to Thee My Country' coming in from about 3.00 minutes in...

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^An essential for everyones classical collection TS.

I don't use headphones, I use my Big system to play Mars, it always shuts everyone up in awe when I put that piece on.:bow:

Here's a "Corker" that everyone associates with a particular movie, this intro has to be the most stentorious opening in classical music.

Also Sprach Zarathustra by Richard Strauss.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
LG I always wondered who wrote that , a definite for the collection and so is The Planets .. I'm gonna need a new cd tower. :)

One of my all time faves.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^All of Mendelssohn's symphonies are good too, especially the "Scottish" and "Italian".

Years ago I had a bunch of my little brothers friends over for a Friday night of music and videos. As the night went along an argument broke out about what CD to play next, do we need more beer, how about some pizza...etc the usual stuff when too much beer is consumed.

Anyway when they were all embroiled in those discussions I simply picked up my Strauss CD and played "Sprach Zarathustra", the same piece I posted. I wished I had pictures of the looks on their faces when I cranked it up...they all went completely silent and were awestruck by the music...:oyea:

After that interlude two of them went for beer, I ordered some pizzas and we ended up watching my Pink Floyd VHS tape. But it was great to show off some of my classical to a younger generation and impress the hell out of them.:grinthumb

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
^^^ My older brother used to play Carl Orff - Carmina Burana full tilt and it had a similar effect on us especially after a few bevvies.:)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
O' Fortuna is another excellent opener...I have 3 copies of that one including a DVD-audio version that still makes the hairs on the back of my next tingle...:D

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Staff online

Members online