Your Favourite Pieces.

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
2012 is the 150th Anniversary of the birth of the great English composer Frederick Delius, so I guess there will be a lot of new recordings and concerts this year, especially in the UK (I don't think Delius is appreciated as much in other countries, especially not on the US where you very rarely hear Delius played.

He was a remarkable man, he spent the last 15 years of his life paralysed and blind, but still managed to compose some remarkable music with the help of Eric Fenby, who essentially wrote down and played on the piano/orchestrated every note which Delius verbally dictated to him.

All of Delius's music has a very pastoral/rural feel to it; he was greatly influenced by nature, it's very English in character like Vaughan Williams...

TheSound

Reaction score
If you had a hard day, or even if you didn't, sit back for 15 minutes, attach headphones, clear your mind, and contemplate the fact that not all the most miraculously moving and uplifting things in life involve an electric guitar and a drum kit!!!

The sublime genius of Jean Sibelius, this music for me is all about life's real journey, up and down we go, and suddenly... it´s over...

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
- The Leningrad Symphony by Shostavovich. He is not everyone's cup of tea, but I prefer him to Stravinsky.

- Gymnopedies by Eric Satie. Melancholy, but beautiful. I was inspired by Rod Argent's version.

- Pictures at an Exhibition by Mussorgsky. I admit I was inspired by ELP.

- Nigel Kennedy's interpretation of Bruck.

- The Planets by Gustav Holst. Robert Graves once said something like, 'Shakepeare is a great poet despite everyone saying he is'. It also applies to The Beatles and Holst.

- Hebrides by Felix Mendelsohn.

- New World Symphony by Dvorak.

TheSound

Reaction score
- The Leningrad Symphony by Shostavovich. He is not everyone's cup of tea, but I prefer him to Stravinsky.

- Gymnopedies by Eric Satie. Melancholy, but beautiful. I was inspired by Rod Argent's version.

- The Planets by Gustav Holst. Robert Graves once said something like, 'Shakepeare is a great poet despite everyone saying he is'. It also applies to The Beatles and Holst.

All wonderful, especially I think the amazing 'Leningrad' ...which my wife played just last week!! (she's a violinist) Nice list there Big Ears!!

Cannons Ahoy

The Great Pretender
Reaction score
I don't listen to much classical music but my favorite piece is Pictures at an Exhibition by Modest Mussorgsky (got into it through ELP's cover)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Excellent list Martin, have all of them myself.:mn:

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
Thanks for the positive comments TS and Bruce. I was a bit surprised as classical music is the genre I know least about. But, I do know what I like.

- Carmina Burana by Carl Orff

- Appalachian Spring/Billy the Kid by Aaron Copland

- The Pearl Fishers by Bizet (for the Pearl Fishers Duet)

- Lakme by Delibes (for the Flower Duet)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Carmina Burana is one of my favorite...drinking albums...:blush:

:heheh:

I have all those except the Lakme/Delibes piece.;)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Nothing wrong with being humble on a Compilation album cover...I am not big on Opera it's the only part of the Classical genre I haven't explored. I don't speak or understand Italian so without subtitles I can't follow.

I do have a few opera highlights without the singing and they are fabulous.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online