Your Favourite Pieces.

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
^^^ That's right it's the artwork for Rooster's "Death Walks Behind You" album.

Amazing painting by William Blake I believe, his “Nebuchadnezzar'

Been in the south of France for the past week at a wedding, sort of stretched it out to a short holiday. Had 2 or 3 musical experiences which we will treasure, a piano recital in the great hall of an 18th century chateau, very romantic, plus on the way to visit some Roman ruins up in the hills looking out over the Med, we heard this on local radio, and as we sometimes do, we pulled the car over to the side of the road to listen, as you have to savour these moments in music, as they may never come around again, being Faure, one of the French 'greats', it just seemed to encapsulate our whole trip...

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
^^ That's right TheSound and Blake was also a fine poet if I'm not mistaken ???

I have got a bit of catching up listening and learning to do in here, some great posts. :cheers2

TheSound

Reaction score
One very fine composer I am discovering more and more about, is Gerald Finzi, this is his 'Eclogue for Piano and Strings' as performed by the English String Orchestra, with Martin Jones on piano, it has a sort of Vaughan Williams feel to it, becoming a huge favourite of mine. I didn't know what an 'eclogue' was and had to look it up, it's apparently a poem in a classical style, on a pastoral subject, which I think probably sums this up, I like the way the piano and strings play independently from each other at times in this score, quite nice anyway.

TheSound

Reaction score
How does this grab you as a nice concert for a Sunday afternoon, after a nice lunch in the concert hall restaurant! This Sunday, at the Philharmonic Hall in Liverpool...we will of course be there!...

Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra :

Vaughan Williams : Wasps Overture
Mozart : Piano Concerto No.23 in A Major, K.488
Tchaikovsky : 'Manfred' Symphony

Hélène Grimaud, piano
Vasily Petrenko, conductor

Here's some of what we can expect, or even better, as there is no substitute for live music!...the Wasps, the adagio from K.488, and the finale of the magnificent Manfred...

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I am green with envy TS, those are all fabulous pieces...:bow:

TheSound

Reaction score
Well LG I go to quite a lot of classical/orchestral concerts, for obvious reasons! But the combination of Mozart, Tchaikovsky, and RVW is about as good as it ever gets for me, so it's a bit special.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Add Beethoven and I would agree with you.:mn:

I'll post a piece for Sox in here tomorrow, let me know how the concert went.:cheers2

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
Gonna put this up and give one our fave prog bands a big cheers for getting me into this, :cheers2

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^That is one of my faves too Sox...have you ever listened to the original solo piano version? Ravel did wonders adapting Modesto's score for full orchestra, and I enjoy both versions a lot.

Here's a sampling by Evgeny Kissin.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Members online