Your Favorite Band Logo?

TeleCat

Blackmore's Advocate
Reaction score
ritchie.jpg

LXA

Old Noob
Reaction score

Yeah man, Iron Maidens definitely stands out. I like Metallicas logo too. Megadeths is cool but it could be cooler, although Megadeth would be my favorite band out of those you picked.

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score
Which was the first band to use a stylized typeface for its name? Was it the Doors in early 1967?

Attachments

• A DoorsLogo.jpg
    A DoorsLogo.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 58

FretBuzz

Monkey Man
Reaction score
Lovin' this thread. I'm a commercial artist and work with fonts and logos every day, plus I'm a pop culture graphics junkie in general.

Which was the first band to use a stylized typeface for its name? Was it the Doors in early 1967?

Re: the Doors logo. Excellent question! The Monkees logo premiered in 1966, so it predates the Doors logo. ( BTW,The Monkees logo was designed by Nick LoBianco, who illustrated many lunchboxes of the 60's & early 70s)

Monkees_Logo.gif

And then there is the classic Beatles logo. I've always wondered what the story was behind this logo, as it appears to hand-lettered. I found this info on it on wikipedia:

"The Beatles' iconic "drop-T" logo, based on an impromptu sketch by instrument retailer and designer Ivor Arbiter, also made its debut in 1963. The logo was first used on the front of Starr's bass drum, which Epstein and Starr purchased from Arbiter's London shop."

beatles-logo.gif

I can't recall this logo ever being used on any album covers back in the 1960s, but it appeared on Ringo's bass head, as well as lunchboxes and other merchandise back then.

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score
You're right. I thought of the Beatles' logo but I didn't think it appeared until later because it wasn't used on any of the album covers in the sixties.

:****:

WetWilly

Whiskey Rock-A-Roller
Reaction score
foghat_logo.jpg

I remember when I was in the 8th or 9th grade, in art class we were supposed to draw the person sitting across from us. Well my buddy who was sitting across from me was wearing a t-shirt with the foghat logo, and I drew him. Needless to say the drawing itself sucked but I got the foghat logo perfect & my art teacher was very impressed. Anyway I always thought Foghat had a pretty cool logo.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarrelDeSa

Staff online

Members online