Your collection

Powerage

Let There Be Rock!
Reaction score
1-How big is it(cds,vinyl,downloads etc)(Include display pics etc if you want.)

50ish cd singles, 500+ cd albums, 30+ DVDs, 10+ box sets. I don't own a huge amount of vinyl, though whats left of my parents collections is sat in my room right now haha.

2-Is there stuff you have not played(how much)

Mostly stuff I've bought recently and haven't had a chance to yet. Off the top of my head I know I've not opened my deluxe version of the Who's Tommy I bought years ago.

3-Do you buy your music or do you take the odd frebbie download from blogs.

99.9% is bought. I've downloaded freebies, but I try and buy them as soon as possible. It's usually that I hear something then can't wait and have to have it. But I've spend so much on music, and continue to spend so much on all areas of music, that the odd obscure as **** Cheap Trick album or downloading the Buckcherry discography then buying it album by album isn't going to hurt anybody.

4-How much per month do you think you spend

Average is between £20 - £40

5-Is your collection out of control and growing like a monster

Yes. I have a book case, floor to ceiling which I have now filled. Top shelf is box sets, next shelf CD singles, then the next 9 shelves are CD albums. I have a pile of albums by my TV that I have no space for. Oh and I'm only 24.

6-How many chances do you give a purchase(eg 3 goes)

I don't really understand this question. How many chances do I give it before what?

7-Do you have stuff that you do not like(eg part of a bands discography)

Yep. But I find that's what happens when you collect bands and artists that have huge back catalogues. I bang on about Status Quo all the time on here, but I can't stand huge chunks of their discography. Though I own all of it.

8-Do you sell off parts of your collection from time to time.

When I first read this question, and when it's come up before I usually get all high and mighty about getting rid of parts of your collection. But as I've grown older and my tastes have expanded, I'm realising that maybe I can't keep everything, as I simply don't have the room.

But I can't bare to part with any of them, even the stuff I'll possibily never listen to again like Radiohead. So maybe soon I'll have to permanently store some albums, but they'll still be there if I want them.

9-Please feel free to say anything else.

My collection is largely based around the discographies of my favourite bands. It's rare I'll own just 1 album by someone, eventually I'll collect more.

Great set of questions!

Powerage

Let There Be Rock!
Reaction score
I don't buy albums I don't like. Well at the time anyway. I listen to most albums I buy first before buying them anyway. Unless it's a band like AC/DC in which case I'll always buy it because I know I'll like it.

Chevelle

Protected Witness
Reaction score
^^^When I started seriously collecting (early 70s) my intent was to collect the entire catalog of bands I liked. I would include live albums but not greatest hits.
When I started working at the record store I had access to all kinds of music and branched out to include jazz, classical and imports so having every album by a particular band became less important.
I do have albums that I don't like because before and after working at the store I did not have the luxury of hearing an album before I bought it. I took some chances and they did not always work out. I was also buying imports from a mail order house and again took some chances.

2LITTLETIME

Reaction score
^You need to purge the duds :grinthumb
Ive recently branched out into jazz.I like John Coltrane :bow:

Chevelle

Protected Witness
Reaction score
^^As I mentioned before, I want to check out a few record stores in my area (hopefully this weekend). I'll be looking for things that my collection is lacking but I will also look into trading or selling things that I don't want.

2LITTLETIME

Reaction score
Over a terabyte on my hard drive and 10000+ records at home. Don't have a clue where anything is but love randomly digging through shelves and finding forgotten gems.

All of my historical playlists get copied into one big playlist called traktor playlist and I often browse this folder for inspiration when stuck for something.

I think I may have acquired a bit too much music although how can you ever have enough? I love music and combined with my hoarding traits i'm swamped by it.
^Found this on a forum^Cool guy:omg:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hannibal37

Members online