Yes - Fly From Here set for release

Mr. T

Reaction score
from melodicrock.com

The most influential and ground-breaking progressive rock 'n' roll band in history, legendary rockers and Grammy Award winners Yes, will release their first studio album in a decade, Fly From Here, on July 1 in Europe and July 12 in North America through Frontiers Records. Their long awaited 20th studio album is the follow up to 2001's Magnification and marks the band's return with producer, Trevor Horn, who produced the band's chart topping album, 90125, in 1983 and also sang for Yes on the Drama album in 1980. Yes is Benoit David on vocals (his first studio recording with YES), Steve Howe on guitars/vocals, founder Chris Squire on bass/vocals, Geoff Downes on keyboards and Alan White on drums. Roger Dean, creator of a number of YES' most memorable album covers, also returns with his signature style for Fly From Here.
“At last we have some shape and dynamics within these tracks that are truer to the original idea of what a YES recording is about,” proclaims Howe.
“The new album represents the best of YES from the 70s and the 80's with a current twist,” Squire adds.
All of the songs on Fly From Here embody that classic and now iconic Yes sound and style. The first single, “We Can Fly,” (to be released digitally on June 13th) is borne from a piece of music that was written prior to the Fly writing sessions - an idea that has now grown into an overture and 5 subsequent movements that feature the unparalleled musicianship and virtuoso talents that are synonymous with Yes. From the first chord of “Fly From Here – Overture” to the last note of the album's closer “Into The Storm,” there is no question that the unmistakable technical proficiency of Yes carries on.
"It's awesome working with Trevor Horn again, he pays a lot of attention to detail. It was a great pleasure in the studio to play some incredible music with some great players,” says White.
First formed in 1968, Yes' remarkable career spans over 40 years and the band has time and again redefined the boundaries of rock music. Yes has sold nearly 50 million albums worldwide and continues to stretch the boundaries of progressive art-rock with their symphonic use of sound and innovative musical styles. This summer, Yes will return to the road to bring Fly From Here as well as some of their classic hits to their loyal following. European tour dates are scheduled for the fall.

Fly From Here track listing: 1. Fly From Here - Overture 2. Fly From Here - pt I - We Can Fly 3. Fly From Here - pt II - Sad Night At The Airfield 4. Fly From Here - pt III - Madman At The Screens 5. Fly From Here - pt IV - Bumpy Ride 6. Fly From Here - pt V - We Can Fly 7. The Man You Always Wanted Me To Be 8. Life On A Film Set 9. Hour Of Need 10. Solitaire 11. Into The Storm.

Fly From Here will be released in 4 different configurations: CD, CD plus a bonus DVD including a documentary “Making of the Album” in digipak edition, a gatefold vinyl and a Special Box set limited edition including the CD, DVD, vinyl, t-shirt, poster, sticker and a lithograph of the cover art.

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
Can someone please tell me why Jon Anderson isn't on this record and in the band?

I consider myself a big Yes fan, but must admit I'm out of the loop on what's happening?

I know Yes has been touring without Anderson and Jon has been doing solo shows over the last couple of years...

but to record an album without him, this late in their career is just wrong, imo.

runningshoes

Great White North
Reaction score
Yes is one of my all time favourite bands and although I am looking forward to a Trevor Horn produced album, I'm not to thrilled that Jon Anderson is not on it. I'll probably get it to satisfy my curiosity, but it's going to have to be outstanding to get a second play.

Groovy Man

Reaction score
Yes is one of my all time favourite bands and although I am looking forward to a Trevor Horn produced album, I'm not to thrilled that Jon Anderson is not on it. I'll probably get it to satisfy my curiosity, but it's going to have to be outstanding to get a second play.

Same here.

Anything with Howe and Squire is worth a good listen.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Same here.

Anything with Howe and Squire is worth a good listen.

I have to agree with you Groovy. But it is sad not to have Anderson on the album as well, but from what I can gather, Anderson has not beem in very good health. He wanted the band to take a few years off, and Yes went on without him.

Groovy Man

Reaction score
^ Wow....he got pretty sick....and was near death...and his band mates didn't keep in touch?

I know there's two sides to every story ...but if it's true....or half of it's true....

that's pretty sad..........

This is why I don't read books or stories about muscians - most of the times, they let down as human beings.

Thanks Magic....that was perfect.

Kind of hard to believe.

Last edited:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Yes, it is sad they didn't keep in touch with him....especially since he was so ill. I guess there has been a lot of turmoil and unrest over the years with the band, yanno.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I do find it hard to believe Chris Squire and Steve Howe would have lost touch completely with Jon Anderson. Even if you have artistic differences and go your separate ways that is no excuse not to at least keep in touch.

Rick Wakeman was also very sick a few years ago, and I don't think he will ever tour outside of England again.

I've heard the new singer the band has hired, he's good and has a similar sound to Anderson,,,but for me Yes without Jon and Rick is not the same.

I have not decided whether I will get the new record or not.:dunno:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rascal_212

Staff online

Members online