Votes: 9 52.9%
  • No

Votes: 8 47.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
I must disagree with Vehicle.Mainstream music is not E-volving,it is DE-volving into a mire of vacuous meanderings..................

No argument here.

There's just so much emphasis on vocals today the the actual music is an afterthought.

All these cattle call shows are about singing. There are no talent search shows devoted to musical instruments of any kind. Once in a while, a band will show up, but I don't recall any winning anything.

If you think about it, what makes a genre? Is it the vocals? The lyrics? The era? The look? The attitude?

The answer to all these things is yes. They all have some part in the creation of a genre.

However, all these things combined don't come anywhere close to defining the music of a genre.

The music is how people differentiate one genre from another. That's the core, the lightning rod, the measuring stick.

If Sinatra sings The Trooper with a full brass section behind him, you're not gonna find it in the record store's metal section. It's gonna be in the swing/big band section.

What if one of those death/speed/phlegm metal bands did There's No Business Like Show Business? You're not gonna find it in the show tunes section.

The song's music defines the genre.

The music is the final deciding factor when comes to genre. That's why mainstream is so watered down and bland. They don't care about the music, only the vocals.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying vocals aren't as important as the music. It just that vocals are the most easily manipulated musical instrument.

That's why these talent shows focus on vocals. You don't need to know much about music at all to be able to sing.

Same thing applies to listening. Most people can tell a good singer from a lousy singer.

Getting back to the topic at hand, rock music is still here, you just have to do a little more looking.

The music industry is a vocal Pez dispenser now.

If you want current rock music, it can be found right here at CRF. Just look around.

Here's a start

http://www.classicrockforums.com/forum/f51/new-bands-classic-rock-fans-would-like-14137/

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
If rock DOESN'T make a comeback,I just hope we don't have to tolerate too much more of this Pitbull Sh**head.Just as with many other of today's mainstreamers,you take away the fancy light shows and dancing girls,and you are left with little or no substance.True rock and roll NEVER lacks substance,even in cases where you're not particularly a fan of the artist.Seems like it's almost all pageantry nowadays,being both shallow and innocous

Radagast

Reaction score
Long Live Rock

If rock DOESN'T make a comeback,I just hope we don't have to tolerate too much more of this Pitbull Sh**head.Just as with many other of today's mainstreamers,you take away the fancy light shows and dancing girls,and you are left with little or no substance.True rock and roll NEVER lacks substance,even in cases where you're not particularly a fan of the artist.Seems like it's almost all pageantry nowadays,being both shallow and innocous

I agree with you, but don' despair, the roots of the tree still has sprouts . We all know that no generation wants to be like the past one or two, but I have seen signs that the cycle is headed toward full circle. Patience is needed and the passing down of recorded music will be necessary. Music is best appreciated without pier pressure. I have full faith that Rock & Roll will experience a revival, I only hope I'll still be alive to enjoy it.

Jet

Midway Up The Ceiling
Reaction score
I disagree with the "neigh-sayers" (I get to say it that way) :gig

I don't know how you can watch something like Crossroads and even think rock is dead? I think the really great artists just keep getting better. Even the ones that left us (Joe Cocker, Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin, etc.) left us music that will NEVER EVER die.

Fump

Reaction score
As there a no good and Original rock groups anymore these days, I fear a little for the rock music....

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
As there a no good and Original rock groups anymore these days, I fear a little for the rock music....

While there have been unique acts through the years, there haven't been original rock bands (or any other genre, for that matter) in decades.

Everybody gets their music from someone else. Some are better at blending their influences than others.

While Zep was a unique sound, it's obvious what their influences were. (In some cases it's blatant robbery.)

Albert King begat Stevie Ray Vaughan, who begat Kenny Wayne Shepherd.

It goes right on down the line. At least with the older bands, there was a sense of history. You could take a band and trace them back, musically, and see how they arrived where they are.

In today's mainstream, it's a bit tougher to do,because as I said before, music isn't as integral as it was. It's something to fill in the background of the vanilla vocalist of the week.

mrJim

Reaction score
Didn't vote on this one because I am not sure I even agree that it's "Dead", there is more of the "old guard" touring and creating in their 60's and 70's than even before. 60+ years old and touring, creating and selling music... that's not dead to me.

An I agree with what Vehicle is saying.

Today there a larger audience for "Pop Culture" or what's popular and the focus there is Vocal and what's popular that's where the money is.. and the mass of those creating music always follow the money.

it will correct or continue to evolve, but how and to what depends on how those who purchase music evolve. for better or for worse....

it's a society that's become fairly brainless who wants to be fed what it consumes. It's not a society that wants to decide, make choices and commit to what it's fed. fewer people today seem to be ok with being different when viewed with the masses. and that may make the evolution slower than in the past.

Jim

Last edited:

Fever

Reaction score
In the past rock songs would make the Billboard singles charts.I counted about 40 songs on the Billboard top 100 songs of 1984 that could be classified as rock (,some are borderline like Oh Sherrie by Steve Perry ,some Hall and Oates that don't really rock but are by artists that have done rock music.).
Then I looked at the top 100 of 2014 and I don't know most of them so I might have missed some,but I counted only 4 rock songs (and that's counting Maroon 5 as rock and I don't think they are :grinthumb)

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
I think people should condsider re-making old catalog rock and pop.It's obvious at least every melody worth buying has probably been written already.With no where else to go.I'm thinking a big retro movement may be in order here..............

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
Sure it will.

Now that Kanye has given Paul McCartney his big break, his career boutta blow up. Yo.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LillaMackr

Members online