Will David Bowie tour in support of new album?

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
David+Bowie.promoFB.0118-13.jpg

SOURCE LINK

David Bowie will release his new album, “The Next Day,” in March, and speculation continues about whether the singer will tour behind the project.

"I would say that it's 50-50," Bowie’s musical director and guitarist Gerry Leonard tells Rolling Stone. "A couple of times, when we played back one of the more kick-ass tunes from the new record, he'd be like, 'This would be great live!' Of course, everyone was like, 'What? Did he just say that?' But other times he'd just roll his eyes if someone brought up playing live."

"If he gets the bug in him to do it, it'll happen,” continues Leonard. “His voice is sounding great and he's looking great, too. He could totally do it. You never know with David, though. I feel he might want to make another record before he plays shows. He's being really prolific right now."

Bowie is keeping a low profile for the release of “The Next Day,” doing no interviews or appearances of any kind to promote the album.

“I think he's reinventing the wheel,” said Leonard. “He's in a world where everybody is Tweeting and Facebooking. He's doing the complete opposite, and then he comes completely out of the blue with this thing. The silence is part of it. He's letting the record come out, letting the artwork out, letting the video out. In his mind, those are the artistic statements - not getting on the phone with everybody and setting it up with all kinds of chatter. So I really think it's just part of his aesthetic right now.”

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
If he does tour I'd bet it will be smaller clubs and venues, not an arena/stadium tour. I wonder how many fans would bother going new album or not. As my contemporaries get older artists like Bowie lose their fan base and I don't think new young fans will make up the difference.

I could be wrong but just putting it out there, his best years are way behind him like so many other "dinosaurs".

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
He could always appear "live" on the Today Show or one of the various other talk shows. This seems to be what other dinosaurs are doing.........When Rod Stewart appeared on the show, his album sales jumped way up on ITunes.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
That is a good business/marketing strategy, same as actors making the rounds before or just after a big film they starred in comes out.

Rod Stewart is a lounge singer now, not my cuppa tea but can't deny he's made a lot of cabbage doing his cover song albums.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
If he does tour I'd bet it will be smaller clubs and venues, not an arena/stadium tour. I wonder how many fans would bother going new album or not. As my contemporaries get older artists like Bowie lose their fan base and I don't think new young fans will make up the difference.

I could be wrong but just putting it out there, his best years are way behind him like so many other "dinosaurs".

I think you are very mistaken, LG. Of everyone from Bowie's era I'd say he's continued to be one of the most popular among people in my age range. Not to mention I am sure he still has a hefty bit of old fans.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I think you are very mistaken, LG. Of everyone from Bowie's era I'd say he's continued to be one of the most popular among people in my age range. Not to mention I am sure he still has a hefty bit of old fans.

I always consider you as having "eclectic" taste in music Cosmic so you being a big fan of David's doesn't surprise me but I just don't see him appealing to a younger audience.:hm:

If he does tour and play big venues then you are right, if he does a smaller club style tour then I will be right.

Just nice to see David active again no matter what he decides to do.:hab:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^You seem optimistic RS, guess we'll have to wait and see how his new album does and whether or not that rekindles his desire to tour.

He should call Robert or Jimmy and offer to open for Led Zeppelin next year.:tup:

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
I always consider you as having "eclectic" taste in music Cosmic so you being a big fan of David's doesn't surprise me but I just don't see him appealing to a younger audience.:hm:

If he does tour and play big venues then you are right, if he does a smaller club style tour then I will be right.

Just nice to see David active again no matter what he decides to do.:hab:
Huh:wtf:

Actually Bowie is big with the Indie/Hipster crowd, NIN crowd and plenty others. I don't think Bowie will do more than a few shows. However, Bowie could sell just as well as any of the classic rock giants playing live today.
If he does play he will play NYC and I'll hopefully be there.

Last time I saw him he did a few songs in Central Park with Arcade Fire:

50401746_6c61a54a4c.jpg

runningshoes

Great White North
Reaction score
Huh:wtf:

Actually Bowie is big with the Indie/Hipster crowd, NIN crowd and plenty others. I don't think Bowie will do more than a few shows. However, Bowie could sell just as well as any of the classic rock giants playing live today.
If he does play he will play NYC and I'll hopefully be there.

Last time I saw him he did a few songs in Central Park with Arcade Fire:

50401746_6c61a54a4c.jpg

I saw him in '87...Glass Spider...it was wild...Must have been 60 or 70 thousand there. One of the best I've seen and I've seen a lot. Duran Duran opened the show...that was when Warren Cuccurullo was with them. I didn't think I'd ever get to see Warren live. I missed him With Zappa by a couple years....but Got to see Steve Vai with Zappa. I don't think Frank ever toured with Warren in his band...just in the studio...I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nowiknowitsJAG

Members online

No members online now.