Why Are The Beatles So Popular?

Radagast

Reaction score
#1 All Time R & R Band

The Beatles are in my opinion one of the most overrated bands ever. They are commonly called the best rock band ever. Why?

I was a 7yr old when The Beatles came on the scene. They are a part of my life. I'll try to explain the groups popularity.

Young people, even in my generation, did"t want to be like the "grownups".
The Beatles arrived on their first visit to America at a time when young people were ready to change from the 50's style. The Beatles music was new, different, and popular. They set the new style in hair, cloths, and language.
Their early music releases set the standard in music for that time. Many rushed to copy their music style. In addition, as time passed, The Beatles music kept breaking new ground and scoring #1 Hits. The Beatles were inspired by other musicians, but they were very original. The Beatles showed everyone how and what a Rock & Roll band was and needed to do.

I heard the music of my parents as I grew up. It was not "my" music, but still I learned to appreciate it. The Beatles music is not this generations music, but it can be appreciated. The Beatles will be remembered alongside of Mozart, Beethoven, Gershwin, and Chopin a hundred years from now. No one will know who,"One Direction" ever was.

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
in my mind,anyone who questions the validity of the Fab Four being labeled the greatest band of all time obviously doesn't know too much about the possibility of an artist's works having significant impact on world culture.The Beatle thing went beyond the music and their success on the charts.They projected major influence on peoples' sociological perspectives and along with Bob Dylan were the pied pipers of the highly revolutionary 1960's.Nearly indescribable influence on the world,particularly here in the western hemisphere..............

PapaJacques

Obligatory New Guy
Reaction score
I neglected to mention prior, that the Beatles are innovators in practically every subgenre of pop/rock music, meaning they have such a wide range of styles in their discography that you're unlikely to find someone who doesn't like at least one Beatles song.

Bach RocksToo

Reaction score
John Lennon and Paul McCartney were two of the most amazing songwriters in history. That's why the Beatles remain so popular. Plain and simple.

davinci

Reaction score
Most bands have an image that they cultivate throughout their entire career. There is no evolution of their look, of their sound.

Right before your eyes, the Beatles changed from straight-laced teenagers who all had the same haircut and clothes, into long haired hippies. The change began after they tried marijuana for the first time. And their music changed with them.

And that is just one intriguing aspect of the band.

Jon

Reaction score
You have to put them in the context of the times. Listen to the charts before and after The Beatles took hold. Their influence was immeasurable.
Whoever your favourite post Beatles artists are, check out why they picked up a guitar, etc, it was down the the Beatles or The Stones.
Ozzy heard Please, Please Me and it changed his life, there's just one example.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online