Who are your biggest influences?

RockNRollRanter

Reaction score
Hello all, vocalist/guitarist/pianist here. Playing music is more of a hobby for me than anything, but I do have influences. Interesting to see the mix that's here.

Vocal-wise, my single biggest influence was my mom. She was a professional blues singer for quite a while, and she was GREAT. Still is, when she does sing. So she was pretty much the one to lead me into singing. She also taught me to play the piano and helped introduce me to the music I love. She's my single biggest musical influence of all to this day!

Guitar-wise, Brian May is my hero, and I'm still learning from him to this day (I play with coins and the one kind of solo I can do is a delay pedal solo--I can't play lead at ALL besides that, I'm a riffer), but I guess the one that technically influenced my playing most was Pete Townshend. He was my idol when I first picked up the guitar, and he's where I learned most of my weird chords (sus4, 9, 11, etc.). Also, I consider myself a rhythm player rather than a lead or rhythm AND lead, and a lot of my style came from him. No, I don't run around windmilling, if that's what you're thinking :)

Just thought I'd share that with you guys. :D

Titokinz

Earthbound misfit
Reaction score
I very much enjoy singing, always have. My biggest vocal influences ought to be Axl Rose, Steven Tyler and Stevie Nicks. I also dig writing lyrics, and Jerry Cantrell and Stevie Nicks are both very infatuating for me lyrically.

I just started to play guitar a few months ago so I haven't really developed any influence from anyone at all quite yet. Maybe when I'm able to play my own music I'll get back to you all. :D

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
As a bass player:

Nick Simper (Deep Purple, Warhorse)
Roger Glover (Deep Purple)
Paul Newton (Uriah Heep)
Pete Agnew (Nazareth)
Geezer Butler (Black Sabbath)
Arthur Grant (Edgar Broughton Band)

The Icon

Reaction score
Guitar: Johnny Thunders, Sylvain Sylvain, Joan Jett, Malcolm Young

Songwriting: Springsteen, Willie Nile, Adny Shernoff, Joey Ramone, Lou Reed, all the '60's bubblegum pop songs

gregjohnson1229

Reaction score
Guitar: Johnny Thunders, Sylvain Sylvain, Joan Jett, Malcolm Young

Songwriting: Springsteen, Willie Nile, Adny Shernoff, Joey Ramone, Lou Reed, all the '60's bubblegum pop songs

I imagine you have a very straifhtfoward, no frills guitar style. I like that.

Hardnecker

Reaction score
Been playing guitar for 35 years. Ace Frehley is where it all started. Then Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Alex Lifeson and Neal Schon opened my eyes. Joe Satriani and Steve Vai expanded my vocabulary. Jazz guitarist Stanley Jordan blew my mind. There are many other players I admire but the afforementioned had the most influence.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jik32

Members online