When is a band not a band?

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
That is a good example Fox, but I prefer Bon Scott to Brian. I was looking around the other day and never realized how Huge Back in Black was, the best selling album by any band in history, and second only to Thriller all time. About 40+ million copies. I like Highway to Hell more myself, but no denying they managed to prosper after Bon's death.

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
Hmmmm. I really think it depends upon whether the band is any good with the replacements.

Agreed, especially when it comes to performing live. When you have a band that has been around for a long period of time, sometimes one or two of the members simply don't like going on the road anymore. What do you do? The remaining members have to make a living somehow and they can't very well stop working all summer because one individual would rather sit at home.

So I don't see any real problem with touring musicians or replacement members in a group, as long as the band still sounds "good."

The show must go on.

Flower

retired
Reaction score
Procol Harum is now down to Gary Brooker .. I saw "them" a few weeks ago and not only is Gary still going strong, you won't know that he was the only member of the "original" band unless someone told you .... Here is a recent video ...

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score
That is a good example Fox, but I prefer Bon Scott to Brian. I was looking around the other day and never realized how Huge Back in Black was, the best selling album by any band in history, and second only to Thriller all time. About 40+ million copies. I like Highway to Hell more myself, but no denying they managed to prosper after Bon's death.

I am chuffed to know that I am not the only one. From another thread I thought I was. Something about Brian's voice annoys my ears, sorry, I just can't help it.

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
King Crimson switched their singer several times and marched on. Depends on what part of the band was the cog that turned the wheel. Lots of people say its okay to change drummers but thats not true of Magma who has changed every other player but the drummer, Christian Vander is the head of Magma.

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
I agree with a lot of the comments on hear, however some singers cannot replace the original and sometimes finish the band off, I will give you an example. Trouble were an excellent band and I have seen them four times, however the last time was with new singer Korey Clarke from Warrior Soul and he was very poor. You cannot replace Eric Wagner IMO and many of the fans too.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
I think there are times when it works. I liked the original Paul Di'Anno Iron Maiden but there's no denying what they have achieved with Bruce Dickinson.

Deep Purple were good with Rod Evans and Nick Simper but were brilliant when Ian Gillan and Roger Glover stepped in.

Jethro Tull's original bluesy guitar man Mick Abrahams was ace but Martin Barre covers the whole Anderson musical spectrum.

Thin Lizzy were sound with Eric Bell but when Scott and Brian joined it was BINGO the defining Lizzy vibe.

But on the whole when the key ingredient is not there say Phil Lynott in the Lizzy eg. The band has a choice they can fold or carry on knowing they will probably never hit the real highs again.

Last edited:

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
A band is not a band...when the fans stop showing up for concerts...

and buying their albums.

The fans really decide.

There are some bands, I think who aren't the same anymore because of different members have joined the band...

then there are bands, where the band isn't the the original band, because members have passed away, quit the band, or whatever, but still sound good in concert and it pleases the fans...

For instance, I wouldn't go see Yes with out Jon Anderson or The Allman Brothers Band with out Dickey Betts...

but, I would go see Lynyrd Skynyrd, because they still sound good, make decent albums, although most of the band has passed on...Skynyrd still packs 'em and still put on a top notch rockin' show.

Also, saw Deep Purple once without Blackmore, yeah, it wasn't really Purple, but they also put on a top notch show too....matter of fact, saw them with Lynyrd Skynyrd...fun concert. (but then again, not a fan of Purple albums with out Blackmore, to be honest, but Deep Purple still puts on a great concert!!)

Again, in the end, it's really up to the fans to decide when a band is not a band. If you like it - great, if you don't - that's ok too.

Last edited:

TrekkiELO

Reaction score
I think it depends on the band.

Queen without Freddie Mercury cannot be Queen. What about The Doors? Can they be the same band without the lead singer? I think that as long as the lead singer is still part of the group, a band can have the same identity. Without the original lead singer, it's not the same

I agree, there is not an Electric Light Orchestra with no Jeff Lynne and Chicago without Peter Cetera, then under different circumstances, Fleetwood Mac minus Christine McVie!

Signed,

Rick

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rascal_212

Members online