What's your favourite Neil Young album?

rtbuck

Reaction score
Tough call for me ...I am going with ... 'Live Rust' as it was the album that got me into Neil Young. In the late 70's I was blown away after Casey Kasem played the acoustic & electric versions of Hey Hey My My and My My Hey Hey back to back. Shortly after a 3500 seat theater played The Live Rust movie in 3D. I only knew of the My My Hey Hey tunes and Cinnamon Girl at the time but they also were playing a 30 minute Lynyrd Skynyrd film so I went and loved the Neil Young movie and it remains up there as one of my all-time favorite Rock film/movies.

I also do love After the Goldrush and Everybody Know this is Nowhere( my favorite Neil Young tune is Cowgirl in the Sand) so those albums are up there as well. I also enjoyed Landing on Water (I seen the Rusted Out Garage Tour that coincided with Landing on Water album and that tour was unbelievable!)

Zombeels

Reaction score
Everybody Knows This is Nowhere followed by After The Goldrush

Abraxas

Reaction score
Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere.

Mr. Bob Dobolina

Reaction score
I love the three albums he did with Buffalo Springfield, with "Last Time Around" being my favorite. "Deja Vu (C,S,N and Y) is good, with Neil's "Country Girl" suite being the standout track for me. I find his self-titled solo album utterly charming and "Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere" and "Live Rust" are also firm favorites.

PAN Nexus

Waking The Dreamer
Reaction score
Experimental?

I hated all of what you might call his 'experimental' albums, and especially stuff like Trans and Reactor, what a racket, but apart from that his best albums for me are Harvest, Silver and Gold, On the Beach, Old Ways, Harvest Moon, Prairie Wind, and Comes a Time. As a rule I prefer his more C&W style records to his rock/electric stuff, though I also highly rate the album he made with the guys from Pearl Jam, Mirror Ball.

Not sure I would classify re*ac*tor as "experimental", especially by Neil Young standards. :huh: I'll grant you TRANS and ARC, too, for that matter, but, to my ears, anyway, re*ac*tor just sounds like standard, ass-kicking rock & roll, Crazy Horse-style. :D :grinthumb

Listening to it right now, actually, and it's one of my faves. :metal:

My top five would be: 1. AFTER THE GOLD RUSH
2. RUST NEVER SLEEPS
3. re*ac*tor
4. RAGGED GLORY
5. FREEDOM.

There's still quite a bit of his stuff that I haven't heard yet, though. I still need to get his first album, JOURNEY THROUGH THE PAST, TIME FADES AWAY, TONIGHT'S THE NIGHT, ZUMA, COMES A TIME, EVERYBODY'S ROCKIN', LIFE, and THIS NOTE'S FOR YOU. And a lot of the stuff that I have got is still old vinyl copies that need to be upgraded to CD.

Of the rest of the stuff I have heard, though, I guess I would have to rate them like this: 6. AMERICAN STARS 'N BARS
7. OLD WAYS
8. HAWKS & DOVES
9. ON THE BEACH
10. HARVEST
11. WELD
12. LANDING ON WATER.

The only thing I've ever heard of his that I didn't like was 1992's HARVEST MOON. That, I believe, was simply a case of putting out one album too many. :uh: The muse just seemed to have left him at that point. Never bought anything he put out after that, and what little I saw and heard of it on MTV didn't impress me at all. Totally uninspired. Guess he should've hung it up after WELD.

Last edited:

Jonny Come Lately

The New Kid In Town
Reaction score
I like re*ac*tor a fair bit as well, and I have to say I quite like the infamous T-bone with the repeated refrains of 'got mashed potatoes' and 'ain't got no T-bone' over its 9 minute length (!). This song isn't for everyone but the music rocks and I do find the 'lyrics' quite amusing. Opera Star and Southern Pacific are also good tracks.

My most recent additions to my collection have been Ragged Glory and American Stars 'N' Bars - I had a few tracks from the former on Weld but it's great to have the studio versions. Country Home, F*!#in' Up and Days That Used To Be are highlights IMO. Like A Hurricane is definitely my favourite from the latter but I also really love the melancholy Star Of Bethlehem.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shandi

Members online