What's your favourite Neil Young album?

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
Which is your favourite album by Neil Young, with or without Buffalo Springfield, Crazy Horse or CSN&Y?

I like the heavy grungey material from the late seventies, such as Zuma and American Stars 'n' Bars, but Rust Never Sleeps and Live Rust (both 1979 and sometimes released together) stand out.

_Young_%26_Crazy_Horse-Live_Rust_%28album_cover%29.jpg

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I was never a big fan of Neil Young, but I do like the Harvest album

neilyoungharvestalbumcover.jpg

Philmore

Reaction score
It's hard to pick just one Neil album but Tonight's The Night is my choice.

Neil_Young_TTN_cover.jpg

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
I hated all of what you might call his 'experimental' albums, and especially stuff like Trans and Reactor, what a racket, but apart from that his best albums for me are Harvest, Silver and Gold, On the Beach, Old Ways, Harvest Moon, Prairie Wind, and Comes a Time. As a rule I prefer his more C&W style records to his rock/electric stuff, though I also highly rate the album he made with the guys from Pearl Jam, Mirror Ball.

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
^ I've never heard Trans, but I've read a lot about the album. Is it all bad, TS?

Not entirely. The album record sleeve is OK :uh:

220px-Neil_Young_-_Trans.jpg

BE, I don't even know where to start. There's a couple of decent tracks, but it's mostly a kind of synthesized disco electronic distorted din, try to imagine playing Kraftwerk at the same time as your garbage disposal unit is operating, and that's Trans. It's mainly what he does with his voice which goes through some machine so he sounds like the Daleks from Doctor Who. Try finding the hideous 'Computer Cowboy' or 'Sample and Hold' on YouTube and you'll see what I mean, I would link to them here but I don't want to be held responsible for the consequences!!! :uh:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentonBeo

Members online