What's your favorite Pink Floyd concert DVD?

Masherbrum

Riding the Steel Breeze
Reaction score
Pulse is good, but the stage set up is way to impersonal.

I saw both shows in Pontiac Michigan in 1994. I ASSURE YOU, they were far from being "impersonal". To even hint that, is nothing short of ludicrous. I went just for the MUSIC, the effects were icing on the cake. To date, it is the loudest, but most crystal clear show I have ever had the pleasure of seeing.

Gilmour's 2006 show notwithstanding. I took my wife to the Toronto show and gave her the better seat on the main floor. Why? I've seen Gilmour's Pink Floyd 3 times and just wanted to hear God's Guitarist play the music with Rick. But she had never seen him and regrets turning down my offer to buy her a ticket in 1994 when we were dating.

To criticize "stage height", well that would be a subject for another day.

Masherbrum

Riding the Steel Breeze
Reaction score
Even though Pulse is an excellent show and Delicate Sound of Thunder was also great that is not the original Floyd IMO.. Live in Pompeii is not a live show but a "staged" show done for the cameras.. It does however feature the original lineup (except Sid Barrett of course). It also has a more "raw" feel to it compared to the polished shows on the other releases. It is also very early in their careers and in no way can compare to the stadium shows. They did not have the catalog that they had later..

I would of liked to see the original band on a good quality video release somewhere in the late seventies maybe on the "Animals" or "The Wall" tour.. It's a shame that it is not available. I do know about the "Earl's Court" video that is circulating but that is a bootleg (I think) and is not of good quality. It is believed that it was shot by the road crew since it is done from three different stationary cameras. The bootleg that is circulating on the internet seems to be quite degraded in both audio and video quality.

Here is a little more info on the Earl's Court and Nassau videos done in 80 and 81
The Wall Earls Court Video

Of course the 2nd Lineup is the best. Of course the "smaller venues" are better.

The Wall footage is horrible and even when blended with the "Is there anybody out there?" music, you hear the horrible.....but touched up Guthrie sound quality. The original masters were damaged in a flood in "Pink Floyd's Vault" (Britannia Row I would assume).

Even funnier are how 2-3 reels of film are still "missing" from Live at Pompeii. Someone has them, as they were not tossed.

gguerra

Reaction score
On a side note and for those "die-hard" Floyd fans I found this site which is in Portuguese (and English) but seems to have a lot of Floyd material both video and audio.

The Pink Floyd Collectors

Last edited:

sco703

Reaction score
Mine has got to be Pulse. I love watching Pulse. It is such an amazing show with the lights and special effects. Live at Pompeii is great too, but Pulse to me is just more entertaining.

I still have yet to see the entire Delicate Sound of Thunder.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I love both Pulse and Delicate... Sco703, the set list is very close to the same for both shows, my friend thinks the production values of Pulse are better, seeing it's done a few years after Delicate was recorded, I still have my old VHS copy and it's held up rather well I have to say.

SmokeyMcBongWater

Reaction score
I have a reasonably large collection of Pink Floyd (and many other classic rock bands) bootleg dvds. Is there any facility on classicrockforums for setting up postal trades (or perhaps sharing vines) with anyone who might be interested?

t_ado

Reaction score
live at pompeii is really good. the way it's filmed and edited, and the atmosphere of it is perfect.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Staff online

Members online