What's an artist that only you like? (and I mean ONLY you)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
An English band that I like, that no one else seems to like (or even know about) was called Curve.

Pioneers of the electronica and trip-hop styles of the 90's, it's been claimed that their hiatus in the mid 90's gave rise to Garbage, in the same way that Crosby, Stills, & Nash's hiatus made room for other harmony-based groups such as The Eagles and America.

Toni Halliday of Curve: "In a way it's very flattering to be tied in with... Garbage. But eventually Garbage are a pop band, and Curve were never a pop band."
Well, for "not a pop band", they sure have plenty of hooks in their songs.

Curve have released 5 full-lengh albums and as many EP's.

Alligator's Getting Up (1998)

Super Blaster (1993)

Well now you aren't the only fan. :heheh: I'd heard the name before but never heard them. Damn, you could've said this was Garbage and I would've bought it hook, line and sinker. This is as a Garbage fan who owns all their albums. :)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band

I've never met someone who liked them as much as me. Part of why I like them is because they did the soundtrack for Eddie and the Cruisers which was a pretty good rock and roll movie. There was also a sequel which was slightly less impressive as a film, and also featured some of their lesser known songs.

And yes, they sound a lot like Springsteen...maybe too much so. But I'm still perplexed to this day why they didn't ride his coattails to success.

If you've seen the movies, you know their big hits. But they also had other good songs that weren't in the films. So I'll leave one of each here for you to check out.

I always liked the songs from the soundtrack but I had a friend some years back who specifically liked these guys quite a bit. I listened to the songs you posted and really liked the first one. :grinthumb

Black Dahlia

A Seasoned Witch
Reaction score
Well now you aren't the only fan. :heheh: I'd heard the name before but never heard them. Damn, you could've said this was Garbage and I would've bought it hook, line and sinker. This is as a Garbage fan who owns all their albums. :)

Excellent! That's what I like about this forum. I've discovered so much here, and it's nice to help others hear something new, too.
lady_02_zpslhqcpmdh.gif

RatBoy

Reaction score
It used to be that I'd be the only Sparks fan in certain places (and then I guess a bunch of English/German/Norwegian people gravitated toward me and that changed quickly - maybe Americans are just lame).

Though I've noticed that there are even less fans of Ric Ocasek. And I'm totally cool with that. ;D

Hey, hey, hey... American here. Talent is a Virtue!!!

Umm... am I the only Rose Tattoo fan around? :tup:

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
There's only one artist for whom I am literally the only fan. He was a greeter where I work 8 or 9 years ago -- a kid at the time, maybe 16. But he would produce his own rap music. He went by the name MaZe and he had an album, an EP called the Smoker's Section.

The album tells a story where he gets up in the morning, smokes weed, has breakfast, his friends come over, they smoke, they go get some snacks at the corner store, and that's about it. But think about it, have you ever heard a "hip hopera" like this before? There have been some rap concept albums, but I'm not aware of any story albums like this in the tradition Tommy and The Wall.

It's an exceedingly clever concept, when you think about it. For a stone cold loner like me, the EP was revelatory. I could sit at home and spin this album, and it would feel like I was having an adventure with friends. But without all the anxiety and disappointments.

I doubt he raps anymore and if you asked him HE probably doesn't even like his music anymore, but it remains one of my favorite albums. I consider it a truly visionary work of art, and something that is objectively unique. But it doesn't exactly conform to typical radio standards (the production, though inventive, is extremely primitive), and none of the friends I've played it for over the years have been impressed.

BikerDude

Dude
Reaction score
Root Boy Slim & his Sex Change Band is a band I never see mentioned although I know he has his fans. Rootboy passed away in the 90's.

Here's Root Boy Slim's "Boogie til You Puke"(There's a boring 2 minute intro)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roC_JLOcnxE

Root was a GREAT live band!
I mean great.
Saw them numerous times on new years eve back in the 70s and they always delivered.
Plus root boy had the dubious honor of having his band banned from the fraternity of none other than George W Bush.
He was certainly one of a kind.

While at Yale, MacKenzie formed a band with classmate and fraternity brother Bob Greenlee, who was captain of Yale's football team. The band was named Prince La La and the Midnight Creepers. MacKenzie's growing dislike of authority and inner inclination to play pranks and his love of shock value expanded. Band members wore ermine capes, silver lamé hot pants and boasted that they were never invited for return engagements. The year after MacKenzie and Greenlee graduated, they returned to the DKE house during Yale's homecoming. Bush, who since their departure had become president of DKE, threw them out and banned them from the house.[1]

After graduation, MacKenzie drove an ice cream truck in Washington, D.C. One day he suffered a psychotic break after a particularly high dose of LSD, and he climbed over the White House fence. The United States Secret Service apprehended him as he ran up the White House lawn. He told the officers he was "looking for the center of universe." They hauled him off to St. Elizabeths Hospital, the largest long-term mental hospital that serves Washington, D.C. That incident led to a diagnosis of schizophrenia, for which MacKenzie was medicated for the rest of his life.

Long for a place to turn on my TV when I finally realized it was world war three!!!!!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FAQQP67skVw
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F57p4neQmnQ
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9yNvqoV3ya8

Last edited:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online