What's an artist that only you like? (and I mean ONLY you)

Džedaj

Groovy as hell.
Reaction score
You're not alone, Mr. Shadow, I'm a fan of hers as well (and lots of my friends are too).

I actually got to meet her once, and she was incredibly nice.

She did a solo tour in 1995 and I saw the last two shows on the tour. She had Sterling Morrison (who played guitar in the VU) in her band on that tour!

I saw them in Atlanta, but for some reason a friend of mine who really wanted to see them couldn't make it to that show. She was playing in Athens the next night, which is about an hour drive. He talked me into going with him (which was easy, since her Atlanta show was smokin').

Boy, am I glad I went. It was the very last show of the tour, and for their encore, they did about a 20 minute 'Bo Diddley' jam, with Moe's kids playing percussion too! It was great.

After the show, it was pretty late and I wanted to head back to Atlanta, but my buddy is a very obsessive record collector, and he brought a stack of stuff he wanted to get signed. So we sat around for a while after the place had cleared out. Finally somebody asked us why we were still there, and my friend told him he had some things he wanted to get signed.

So the guy said something like "No problem", and took us into a little room backstage. There the whole band was, and Moe's kids, all partying and chilling out. They welcomed us and were all super nice to us.

I spent about half an hour talking to Sterling, just me and him! I still can't quite believe that. I got him and Moe to sign my cd cover for the first VU album, which I had brought along. The VU's been one of my very favorite bands since I first discovered them back in 1980.

Sterling passed away about 5 or 6 months later. Man, am I glad I went to that Athens show with my buddy.
--------------------------------------

AS for an artist that only I seem to like? Hmmm, Steven Jesse Bernstein comes to mind. (lyrics NSFW)

Now I can't tell you how envy I am. I've been VU fan since I first heard them 3 years ago, and to meet one of original members of VU (and talk with them alone for half an hour) means a lot. Maureen and Sterling are kickass :grinthumb

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score
I have lent people cds from these bands (in addition to posting their music here on this forum) and have had zero response. That can't be good. But I still like them anyway.

1- Legs Diamond. A 70's band that never really made it out of the L.A. club scene, but recorded a few pretty good albums. Maybe the 70's band Charlie, as well.

2- Eric Gales. He came out of nowhere with two albums in the early 90's that was a mix of Blues/Rock ala Jimi Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughan. Great stuff!

3- Mad Season. AIC's Layne Staley and Pearl Jam's Mike McCready's excellent dark and brooding side project from 1994.

4- VAST. Also known as Visual Audio Sensory Theater, Jon Crosby's one-man band who recorded several excellent albums from the late 90's to the mid 2000's.

5- Craig Chaquico. After the Jefferson Starship disbanded, Craig ventured into the unchartered territory of New Age music in 1993 and was quickly named Best New Age Guitarist two years in a row following the release of his first albums. He would go on to record two more excellent acoustic albums before joining forces with The Rippingtons' Jeff Kawisha and Russ Freeman on two more albums with more of a jazz flair.

Last edited:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Dave78, I remember that my friend had the cassette of Mad Season in high school because one of the main guys, Staley, was in it. I remember liking it and like you I'm surprised it's rarely mentioned especially with it being an Alice In Chains side project. :)

taha

Reaction score
I have lent people cds from these bands (in addition to posting their music here on this forum) and have had zero response. That can't be good. But I still like them anyway.

1- Legs Diamond. A 70's band that never really made it out of the L.A. club scene, but recorded a few pretty good albums. Maybe the 70's band Charlie, as well.
(they even have a 2000's release)

and I'll add Tony Carey ( or planet P )

both are excellent but few know them.....great pick Dave

Black Dahlia

A Seasoned Witch
Reaction score
An English band that I like, that no one else seems to like (or even know about) was called Curve.

Pioneers of the electronica and trip-hop styles of the 90's, it's been claimed that their hiatus in the mid 90's gave rise to Garbage, in the same way that Crosby, Stills, & Nash's hiatus made room for other harmony-based groups such as The Eagles and America.

Toni Halliday of Curve: "In a way it's very flattering to be tied in with... Garbage. But eventually Garbage are a pop band, and Curve were never a pop band."
Well, for "not a pop band", they sure have plenty of hooks in their songs.

Curve have released 5 full-lengh albums and as many EP's.

Alligator's Getting Up (1998)

Super Blaster (1993)

Aero

Reaction score
John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band

I've never met someone who liked them as much as me. Part of why I like them is because they did the soundtrack for Eddie and the Cruisers which was a pretty good rock and roll movie. There was also a sequel which was slightly less impressive as a film, and also featured some of their lesser known songs.

And yes, they sound a lot like Springsteen...maybe too much so. But I'm still perplexed to this day why they didn't ride his coattails to success.

If you've seen the movies, you know their big hits. But they also had other good songs that weren't in the films. So I'll leave one of each here for you to check out.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HildredLad

Staff online

Members online