What songs would you like Played at your Funeral?

ladyislingering

retired
Reaction score
Re: What would play at your funeral?

But more and more in recent years, I've come to a point in my life where I do not want a burial or a funeral.

Understood, completely.

My only fear about dying is that the event will be more than I ever deserved. I never liked unwanted attention; I love graveyards and have spent loads of time in them, but a part of me doesn't really want to end up in one.

I just worry about what will happen with my body. Sure, anyone can tell you, providing they're given the chance, that they're going to cremate you and make sure you're strewn about someplace nice, and not just shoved into an overpriced case that's just going to go in the ground, but there's always that social stigma present, or that whole stupid debate between relatives or others.

I've come to terms with death, for some reason. I'm ready for it whenever it comes; I know that if I don't do it myself, something else will, and I'm alright with that. But please, for the love of god, don't just bury and forget about me.

You know?

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score

I went to a funeral the other week and instead of the tired old ritual of singing hymns where hardly anybody joins in, his family had three songs played instead and it was great - a fitting tribute to a guy who loved his music and loved to play guitar. There was a Mark Knopfler track (didn't recognize it so can't name it I'm afraid), then Creedance Clearwater Revival doing Have You Ever Seen The Rain? and finally to close the funeral was Led Zeppelin's Stairway To Heaven.

As for the songs I'd like played at my funeral, I'll have to have a think about that!

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

Well here it is for me...

Playlist.jpg

I really wanted to have Queen bookend it but it just didn't feel right to end it with "The Show Must Go On" even though it's my favorite song and is just all around amazing and has a strong sense of finality to it I felt the finale to RENT was better to wrap things up. Now I'm sure things'll change eventually but for now I am VERY happy with this.

Fever

Reaction score

I had a friend die several years ago and they played Tears In Heaven.I am not sure who picked that song,but I am betting it was his mom and sisters because I don't believe he would have ever picked that song.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

I had a friend die several years ago and they played Tears In Heaven.I am not sure who picked that song,but I am betting it was his mom and sisters because I don't believe he would have ever picked that song.

Yes, that is the sort of thing I would like to avoid. I'm sure if my family were to pick something it'd be something religiousy that I would never want them to play....

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score

I'm sure it's going to change many a time before I hit the hay, but for the moment I've settled on Afterglow by Genesis.

(song only lasts until 4:15)

Like the dust that settles all around me,
I must find a new home.
The ways and holes that used to give me shelter,
Are all as one to me now.
But I, I would search everywhere
Just to hear your call,
And walk upon stranger roads than this one
In a world I used to know before.
I miss you more.

Than the sun reflecting off my pillow,
Bringing the warmth of new life.
And the sounds that echoed all around me,
I caught a glimpse of in the night.
But now, now I've lost everything,
I give to you my soul.
The meaning of all that I believed before
Escapes me in this world of none, no thing, no one.

And I would search everywhere
Just to hear your call,
And walk upon stranger roads than this one
In a world I used to know before.
For now I've lost everything,
I give to you my soul.
The meaning of all that I believed before
Escapes me in this world of none,
I miss you more.

limpy

Penguin Power
Reaction score
What song would you want played at your funeral?

Obviously we are still alive! But have you ever thought about what song you would like played at your funeral (when you bite the dust)? I have thought about it! And I can tell you I don't want any boring funeral music! I want something up beat and funky that represents me and my personality to remind people of what I was like!

Really I can't make my mind up, but anything like Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Lily Allen, Kate Nash, Powderfinger! Is what I would go with at the moment! Not very funeral like! But that's what I would like played! :D

So what sort of music would you like your loved ones to play at your funeral, that represents you, who you are and your personality?

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Re: What song would you want played at your funeral?

I think more people think about this than one might think. I'd definitely have my main song be Smashing Pumpkins "Mayonaise" since it's the song I've always felt embodies who I am as a person and my lifes journey. It really is a soothing, beautiful song so even though it's not happy like poppy or anything I still think it'd be pleasant enough for the living who are there.

Smashing Pumpkins-Mayonaise

LyricalLaurel

EΔЯ ЯESPOИSIBŁE, too!
Reaction score
Limpy I'm so glad you brought this thread back to life. I had been thinking of starting one...after checking for one of course.

My MIL wanted jazz music played at her visitation/service. No go per the funeral director. Had I been the one talking, we'd have had jazz or we'd have gone elsewhere. At the dinner we had the service, we played jazz and some of the other things she loved and it was a great time - we were all laughing just thinking of her.

I'm not planning on going anywhere soon, but when I do, I want spirited "happy" music. I've had a good life, all in all. And that somber music just - makes everyone cry. Having lost 3 parents (including MIL) in the last 11 years, I'm done with somber.

I'll put a list together if I can. Too many to choose from, lol. Guess that is a good thing. :D

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Murphy_orrest

Staff online

Members online