What John Norum really thinks of "The Final Countdown"

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
from classicrockmagazine.com

Europe guitarist John Norum has told Classic Rock what he thought of the mega hit The Final Countdown when he first heard it.

“When Joey (Tempest, Europe vocalist) first played us the demo, I was one of those who said, ‘Are you mad? This isn’t what we’re about’. It had synthesisers all over it, and we were more into Thin Lizzy, UFO and Deep Purple. But the song did grow on me.”

However, Norum has admitted he finds the song boring to play.

“As a guitarist, there’s not much for me to do on that song. Sure, there’s a Ritchie Blackmore type solo, but that’s it. Yet when you see the crowd reaction…well, it does make it all worthwhile. I suppose this is a song that now belongs to the world. We’ve never dropped The Final Countdown from our set, and I doubt we ever will I can just imagine how angry our fans would be!”

Europe play the iTunes Festival at The Roundhouse in London on July 5 (with Foreigner) and the Sonisphere Festival at Knebworth Park on July 30 (appearing on the Saturn Stage).

Norum releases new solo album, Play Yard Blues, on July 14.

Find out more at | JOHN NORUM OFFICIAL WEBSITE

Dairenn

Recording Artist
Reaction score
It is a synth-heavy song, but it's the one that got them on the map. Which is interesting. Since just about everything on "Out of this World" was about 10x more interesting to listen to.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Sometimes the best musicians are the ones who are able to underplay to benefit the song. I've known and worked with alot of "complex" musicians who didn't know how to simplify properly. :rolleyes:

Good song btw. :grinthumb

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Thanks Soot...but it's true..some I've known were so used to dinkin' around that a simple song was virtually impossible. :heheh:

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
My history on Europe isn't that great but didn't Norum leave the band for a number of years because he didn't like the idea of the band becoming too commercial?

This isn't the first time I've seen quotes of him putting down songs from that album.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
I don't mind The Final Countdown. In fact, I had it playing in the car almost exactly an hour ago on a compilation CD I was listening to. However, it's far from my favorite track by Europe.

The good thing about the song was that it got them on the map in America. Nearly every other song on that album is better than Countdown, but at least it got them noticed. The most unfortunate part of that equation is that it's also the song they are most well known for and as I said, it's about the worst song on that album. They were a good band with a lot of good stuff that most Americans don't know much (or anything) about.

I have no clue how they are still received in Europe or in Scandinavia.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rascal_212

Members online