What Is Your Personal Definition OF Music To You???

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
I've thought about this alot and I'm betting it means a wide variety of different things to all of us..
Poetry will abound I'm sure in this thread since music to me is the caverns carved deep in my soul where my life's rivers have flowed..
I'll fire away after seeing if you guys can seriously describe the complex explanation of your personal definition of what "MUSIC" is to you..

Your assignment if you so chose to do so is..

Enthrall all of us with your deepest exerts and philosophical understanding of what your personal definition of music is to you...

Tarn

Reaction score
I don't have poems or a deep meaning to explain my love of music ... but music has always been around since I was a 3 years old and of course I don't remember that at 3 but I do remember at 5 my parents just loving music. the "radiogram" would go on and the house was always filled with music. Not my thing musically, but I had an older sister who always had records on (which was more my thing).

Not everyone has to like what I do .. but I can't understand when I ask "what music do you like" and they go "I don't know .. anything"

Music brings back memories of times with certain people when we liked a certain band. I can hear a song now and think gosh that band was crap but hey I was with a group of friends at that time, and what memories of fun times .. music is memories

It's still my main focus and I spend wayyy too much time looking around for music and maybe making new memories

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
I don't have poems or a deep meaning to explain my love of music ... but music has always been around since I was a 3 years old and of course I don't remember that at 3 but I do remember at 5 my parents just loving music. the "radiogram" would go on and the house was always filled with music. Not my thing musically, but I had an older sister who always had records on (which was more my thing).

Not everyone has to like what I do .. but I can't understand when I ask "what music do you like" and they go "I don't know .. anything"

Music brings back memories of times with certain people when we liked a certain band. I can hear a song now and think gosh that band was crap but hey I was with a group of friends at that time, and what memories of fun times .. music is memories

It's still my main focus and I spend wayyy too much time looking around for music and maybe making new memories

This is something about music I think we all understand..
It brings back a memory of a good time which I find happens alot on this forum when some talk about the 80's Hair Band decade..
It has come full circle because the younger on here relate to the music from the last 20 years ago and the 80's was more of a time when they were at a age where the music didn't mean what it does when they got older.
Did that come out right?? :heheh:

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I see music in many definitions but the main one to me is a non verbal way of delivering a message. I see music as a message being delivered through instruments. Open to different interpretations.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
So I take it we're not looking for a technical definition of what does or does not qualify as music? 'Cause that's what I was gonna write...

Music is that peculiar precipice between entertainment and self, the precarious collision point on the cosmic scale between idle chit chat and world-defining philosophy, that moment when mere, crude sound waves suck on a sliver of the divine and transcend into unfettered ether. Music is the gliding Pegasus that will carry me from who I am today to the better me I one day shall be. When I needed blood, it was a sword. When I needed reinforcements, it was an army. When I needed the eyes to see the good in my world, it touched my face and gave me the love that I couldn't feel. When I needed whimsy to save me from myself, it was glitter and a party hat.

Or it was some junk I listened to when I was bored.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Music is really two things for me.

Time Travel being one of them. Music will always take me back to a better time. I can almost remember things more clearly through music from a certain time. This also applies to music that was before my time. Classical music for instance. I get a rush listening to good classical music. Even though I wasn't there I can almost smell the musty walls, the outside open air...again almost as if Time Travel exists. The closest I'm gonna get to the 1700's or 1800's. It's real evidence of a real time.

Music from the 50's does this to me as well. Through photographs and music I can relate to the era of my parents, and sense what a great time it was and is.

Beyond that...any new music I listen to, takes me in to a somewhat dreamscape. Removes me from the real world for awhile. A great escape. I hardly EVER listen to single songs and I don't do the 'ol I-Pod. For me, it's like reading a book. The album/ CD goes on and stays on until it's over.

:grinthumb

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
^^^ Very well put MP.. I like the Time Travel explanation and Yes.. It does take you back to a time before..:grinthumb

I also consider music as part of my alter Ego.. The lyrics to me explain my deeper parts of my soul.. How many times have you sat there listening to a song and the words had you thinking "I've done that" or "That's just how I feel everytime that happens to me.

I've heard songs that when the lyrics were put to music it gave the words a whole different feeling or meaning.. Vocals to me express so well.. pain.. joy.. Love etc..

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Yup!!! Couldn't agree more. When the lyrics and the melody match up perfectly there is no better rush!!! :grinthumb

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FernandoRu

Staff online