What happened to guitar solos?

troggy

aka Billy Bubba
Reaction score
Re: What happended to the guitr solos

IMO some kind of guitar solo is needed in the structure of a rock song.

If by solo you mean a bridge or break, then I agree with you. I don't think that elongated solos are structurally needed at all though.

troggy

aka Billy Bubba
Reaction score

some of the songs, yes... the guitar solo is very appealing to me, not only because I play.. it just sounds awesome, and in response to the "guitar solos today" discussion, kids my age do not want to wait through them, also, you kind of have the two branches of the impatience and lack of appretiation for skill...

Skill is overrated, if what's being played doesn't sound interesting to you. Sometimes I think that musicians have a different take on things than people who are just fans.

I remember one time I went into the office of a co-worker, who was also musician with his own band. He was listening to new-age music and asked me how I liked it. I told him it sounded boring to me. He told me I didn't know how hard it was for the guitarist to play what he was playing.

As a mere music fan, I didn't care how skilled the guitarist was, only that I didn't find what he was playing interesting in any way. As a musician, my co-worker had a different set of things that were important to him. I don't think his take on things was any better than mine just because he was a musician. It was just different.

Skill means nothing to me, if I don't like what I hear.

Reaction score

Skill is overrated, if what's being played doesn't sound interesting to you. Sometimes I think that musicians have a different take on things than people who are just fans.

I remember one time I went into the office of a co-worker, who was also musician with his own band. He was listening to new-age music and asked me how I liked it. I told him it sounded boring to me. He told me I didn't know how hard it was for the guitarist to play what he was playing.

As a mere music fan, I didn't care how skilled the guitarist was, only that I didn't find what he was playing interesting in any way. As a musician, my co-worker had a different set of things that were important to him. I don't think his take on things was any better than mine just because he was a musician. It was just different.

Skill means nothing to me, if I don't like what I hear.

I'm not talking of skill as in being able to play the fastest, or being able to play the hardest technique in the weirdest time signature... I mean skill as in playing something that sounds appealing to someone but as in instrument solos being different from the rest that makes somone like it.... I forget who said this but it was something along the lines of "Knowing when not to play sometimes makes the guitarist better" and I can respect skill and say "hey thats cool" but I won't listen to it if I don't like it, it means something to me, but as for listening, I'll say Johnny Ramone was a skilled guitarist, he could play much outside of barre chords and a two string solo, but it sounds damn good, he has the skill to make something so simple sound so great, but he doesn't possess much technical ability, skill does not always mean technical ability

Pat Catalano

Reaction score
On the other hand there are people who cant play guitar for shit and don't know what is good or bad. I love to hear guitar players as a musician and as a fan, if you can play and hold my attention and make it melodic and cool I love it. But every now and then I love to watch some one just burn up the guitar. But thats just my Opinion :heheh:

Reaction score
On the other hand there are people who cant play guitar for shit and don't know what is good or bad. I love to hear guitar players as a musician and as a fan, if you can play and hold my attention and make it melodic and cool I love it. But every now and then I love to watch some one just burn up the guitar. But thats just my Opinion :heheh:
Tom Scholz is all that comes to mind.....:grinthumb

gregjohnson1229

Reaction score

i think one of the most unnique soloists is Tom Morello. NOBODY play solos like Morello. He even has pretty good acoustic skills in hs group The nightwatchmen. The sign of a complete guitarist is the ability to play an acousitc guitar well.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
i think one of the most unnique soloists is Tom Morello. NOBODY play solos like Morello. He even has pretty good acoustic skills in hs group The nightwatchmen. The sign of a complete guitarist is the ability to play an acousitc guitar well.

I have to agree with Tom. He's definitely one of the most unique guitarists ever. Other guitarists that I think dominate both the electric and acoustic are Randy Rhoads (above and beyond anyone else), Jack White (say what you want about him but his style is all his own), Brian May (one of the most flexible guitarists ever, especially for not playing the blues in a time where that was almost everything for guitarists), Rory Gallagher (what can one say about Rory other than he is in a league of his own and far too forgotten), Tom Scholz (a brilliant guitarist and songwriter), and I'm gonna stop myself there before I start to ramble but there are many others (Blackmore, Petrucci, etc)

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Staff online

Members online