What happened to guitar solos?

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
True enough Fox, but many bands love to stretch out their own songs,,,,even the Stones do it to keep them interesting. I would love all headliners to do a set of at least 3 hours, to make sure they cover as many of the songs that their die hard fans want to hear especially at the prices they charge now.

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
The John Butler Trio I presume? That may explain why they've never caught my attention.

What's wrong with jamming is that when I pay the ticket price bands ask for concerts these days, I expect them to play more than five or six numbers. I expect a good representative sample of their discography/hits.

:drums:

Nah, they do have mainly 4 - 5 minute songs, it's just their style is often referred to as 'jamming' because of John's style of guitarwork, and the use of the double bass rather than an electric bass guitar.

That, and the lack of any other genres to pigeonhole them into :D

Reaction score
Got enough metaphors bergy? :tongue:

And nothing has happened to guitar solos, they're just no longer popular in mainstream music, but are found in indie. Listen to Dinsaur Jr.'s I Don't Wanna Go There for a long and tasty 2009 solo.
Do you think I should add more? I might have some similes up my sleeve as well:tongue::heheh:

gregjohnson1229

Reaction score
Re: What happended to the guitr solos

MP3's are a good example, Taha. kids dont want super long songs to fill their ipods up. So is this what is killing the guitar solo, too :banghead:

my mp3 player is full of instrumentalist guitarists like eric johnson and joe satriani. i am only 22 but i have a very eclectic and open taste in music. When i wrote this thread my meaning was guitar solos have completely dissapeared out of songs. If you are lucky you get a variation of the main riff during the bridge. I am a por/rock song writer with 3 to 4 minutes songs but i still find a way to get some kind of guitar solo i the song. IMO some kind of guitar solo is needed in the structure of a rock song. Many solos are generally not hard to play especially if they are based on any kind of blues scale.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

As if that's a bad thing. Do you really think that songs from the 70's or 80's are inherently better, just because they were longer and had more guitar solos than songs from the 50's and 60's?

Not that the music of the 70's and 80's is better than the 50's and 60's, just different. The solo gave the guitarist a chance to show off his prowess, to jam. Guitar solos aren't the only solo, either, drummers and bassists got their chance too. I do believe that at some point the solo became overbearing, and it was time to get back to the song, if you know what I mean. I dont like to sit through a long 4 minute solo, even when it is done live......I get all antsy for the song to move on.

There are certain songs that just wouldn't seem right without the long solos. Like Inna-Godda-Da-Vida or Green Grass and High Tides.

I have a huge appreciation for the artists laying down the music foundation from the 50's and 60's but I do not particularly like those decades in music. I happen to like the jammin' rock n' roll years that followed :grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
How about this one...:grinthumb

Part One.

Part Two.

So big he had to post it in two parts on youtube...lol.

While I don't like too many solos at a live concert for the same reasons Magic stated, there are some great songs with inspiring solos like this one, we never heard anything quite like before it was released in 1976.

Reaction score

Not that the music of the 70's and 80's is better than the 50's and 60's, just different. The solo gave the guitarist a chance to show off his prowess, to jam. Guitar solos aren't the only solo, either, drummers and bassists got their chance too. I do believe that at some point the solo became overbearing, and it was time to get back to the song, if you know what I mean. I dont like to sit through a long 4 minute solo, even when it is done live......I get all antsy for the song to move on.

There are certain songs that just wouldn't seem right without the long solos. Like Inna-Godda-Da-Vida or Green Grass and High Tides.

I have a huge appreciation for the artists laying down the music foundation from the 50's and 60's but I do not particularly like those decades in music. I happen to like the jammin' rock n' roll years that followed :grinthumb

the bolded songs aren't even totally solos, they take on a more jazz like some of them even classical like guitar part because they feature an instrument doing something more complex than chords.... take any classical song and look how complex the orchestration is, or a jazz song, its more than a few chords and then breaking into a solo, they don't want to hear the complex orchestration because it isn't as I said before something a lot of people wnat to take the time to understand... look at Frampton, "Do You Feel Like I do" is a fairly complex song featuring a guitar as a lead instrument rather than a backing instrument to vocals, they both work together as the main instrument, and the first time you listen to that you don't know everything thats going on in the song, its a "wow, that was amazing" then you listen again and "woah, I didn't notice that little lick, thats even cooler" no one wants to listen to it more than once to love it

EDIT: LG, great minds think alike apparently, I didn't see your post untill after I finished typing out my thing lol :lmao: of all the songs in the world we chose that at the same exact time as our examples hahaha

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^:grinthumb

That is an amazing coincidence EB.:hab:

Last edited:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
How about this one...:grinthumb

Part One.

Part Two.

So big he had to post it in two parts on youtube...lol.

While I don't like too many solos at a live concert for the same reasons Magic stated, there are some great songs with inspiring solos like this one, we never heard anything quite like before it was released in 1976.

I love Frampton's music :)

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score
Live solos also served as a break for other band members during a live show at times.
One great example is Bonzo on the drums playing Moby Dick, while the rest of the Zeppelin crew take a break back stage.

Last edited:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online