What happened to guitar solos?

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
Magic wrote:

CP/M, it would astonish you how many musicians never took any formal guitar or music lessons. This is what fascinates me about music, how people can create such fantastic music just by sheer talent and a good ear for sound. :)

That's my point - these days it's probably all about Guitar Lessons - do this and do that mentality because that's probably what people think they need to do in order to play Guitar.

Stevie Wonder is a prime example....that man is gifted beyond belief.

And yet when Michael Jackson died - those idiots on radio said they couldn't compare MJ to any other performer in terms of how young he was when he started or his style of music - and yet Stevie Wonder is a prime example of an uprising star who started from an early age as well - just like The Bee Gees or Simon & Garfunkel is as well.

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
Magic wrote:

I realize the guitar is a staple of rock n' roll, but what about the long, hair raising solos? When did they become popular? and what genre uses them the most?

Long hair came in with Psychedelic music, so if you look at your late 60s Beatles or your Pink Floyds or Creams or Yardbirds, then the long hair caper was starting out with those groups.

taha

Reaction score
I would agree w/ Ted, "no soul" and Alice "where's the song going" ?

taha

Reaction score
Re: What happended to the guitr solos

Lack of talent and originality. But another reason is that songs are getting shorter again. The days of ten minute plus jams are fading fast.

like mp3, kids want it now, I don't NEED to wait

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Magic wrote:

I realize the guitar is a staple of rock n' roll, but what about the long, hair raising solos? When did they become popular? and what genre uses them the most?

Long hair came in with Psychedelic music, so if you look at your late 60s Beatles or your Pink Floyds or Creams or Yardbirds, then the long hair caper was starting out with those groups.

:lmao: Not long hair, CP/M, LONG SOLOS :D According to Wiki the longest guitar solo was in 2009 by a 15 year old boy named Paul Wayne Smith Jr lasting 24 hours/8 minutes. They said his fingers were bleeding when he finished. I tried googling this person and there is nothing but what wiki answers says...:rolleyes: Ripley do you believe it? :lmao:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Re: What happended to the guitr solos

like mp3, kids want it now, I don't NEED to wait

MP3's are a good example, Taha. kids dont want super long songs to fill their ipods up. So is this what is killing the guitar solo, too :banghead:

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
Magic wrote:

:lmao: Not long hair, CP/M, LONG SOLOS :D According to Wiki the longest guitar solo was in 2009 by a 15 year old boy named Paul Wayne Smith Jr lasting 24 hours/8 minutes. They said his fingers were bleeding when he finished. I tried googling this person and there is nothing but what wiki answers says...:rolleyes: Ripley do you believe it? :lmao:

You said "Long Hair" not me, but the answer still is Psychedelic Music with long tunes like "Interstellar Overdrive" both Short and Long Versions of the song, and songs like "Light My Fire" from the Doors and extended long live versions from bands like Cream - even Ten Years After did some really long stuff and likewise The Lemon Pipers - and guys like Jimi Hendrix who also brought Long Guitar and Hair solos into play! :tongue: But that's where it began in terms of who was responsible for extending their songs.

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score
Who made the guitar solo popular anyway? Hair metal or progressive rock? I think Led Zeppelin, Iron Butterfly, or The Outlaws started the long guitar solos, but who really made it popular?
I would venture a guess and say Jimi Hendrix. Sure, Chuck Berry and the like from the 50's played short, quick solos in their songs, but at that time the guitar solo wasn't the main feature in the song. Hendrix, I believe, not only changed that, but he opened the gates and inspired others to do the same.

Admittedly, I really don't know what Clapton, Beck and Page were doing in the Yardbirds prior to Hendrix' "Are You Experienced" album in 1967.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online

No members online now.