What Did You Listen To In The 80's?

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
in the early 80's it would be my drill sargent! And a grumpy husband. Oh! and the neigbors dog that barked constantly.

plus some glam/hair bands.......oh YEA!

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Motley Crue, Zeppelin, Ratt, Dokken, VH, AC DC, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Def Leppard, Ozzy

Stray Cats, The Smiths.

Anyone remember the song from Sesame Street "one of these things is not like the others"? Heh, can change that to TWO of these things are not like the others. :heheh:

Good list though Tomcat! :grinthumb

rockgoddess1968

Reaction score
Usually whatever was on the radio for the early part of the 80's, along with my dad's albums which included, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC etc...

By the mid 80's I'd really got into the 'hair' metal of Bon Jovi, Whitesnake, Motley Crue, Ratt and the like, ending the decade by listening to bands like
Metallica, Slayer, Candlemass and Queensryche.

b.o.b.

Reaction score
Lots of Romanian rock/folk artists you never heard of like: Phoenix, Iris, Compact, Holograf, Celelalte Cuvinte…
Disco pop dance like: Modern Talking, Sandra, C.C. Catch, Bad Boys Blue, Madonna, Michael Jackson…
A little rock music from Scorpions, Europe, Bon Jovi, Whitesnake.
Some electronic music like Vangelis or Jean-Michele Jarre.
You must know that I was born and raised in a communist country beyond the iron curtain where the rock/metal music was almost forbidden until 1989. Many of our local rock bands were also banned.

flipflop

Prisoner of rock'n'roll
Reaction score
Lots of Romanian rock/folk artists you never heard of like: Phoenix, Iris, Compact, Holograf, Celelalte Cuvinte…
Disco pop dance like: Modern Talking, Sandra, C.C. Catch, Bad Boys Blue, Madonna, Michael Jackson…
A little rock music from Scorpions, Europe, Bon Jovi, Whitesnake.
Some electronic music like Vangelis or Jean-Michele Jarre.
You must know that I was born and raised in a communist country beyond the iron curtain where the rock/metal music was almost forbidden until 1989. Many of our local rock bands were also banned.

There was a really cool documentary on here the other day about the Beatles cult in the Soviet Union and all of the east block countries. Lots of interviews with the old 'rockers' from then talking about how incredibly much the Beatles meant to them, how listening to the Beatles helped them survive, basically. Plus clips with Paul McCartney playing on the Red Square in Moscow and in Kiev. Local amateur bands playing in rock clubs and Beatles clubs. Growing up I was aware of all this but it was great being reminded how it used to be east of Western Germany not too long ago.....

Anyhoo, I listened to just about everything in the 80's. It was the decade where I got into music right from the beginning of the decade. Started out on radio, pop, and my Dad's records - very mixed bunch to say the least :heheh: But it was back when both radio and pop was good so...

Then there was a couple of big record collections that introduced me to hard rock, metal, classic rock bands.....

So yeah, I listened to everything in the 80's it seems. Mostly rock, pop and metal though I guess. Blues, classical and jazz came in the 90's, big time.

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
In the early 80's
u2,REM, Talking Heads, King Crimson(Adrian Belew KC), Peter Gabriel, Frank Zappa, Dixie Dregs, Alan Holdsworth, Brand X, Grateful Dead, D. Bowie, Weather Report, Bob Marley, Steve Hillage, Mike Oldfield,Jorma Kaukonan, Hot Tuna,Pierre Moerlen's Gong, Pretenders, Yes, Genesis, The Clash, Police, Rolling Stones, UK, ELP

also big into jazz and classical
Joe Pass, Oscar Peterson, McCoy Tyner, Chick Corea, Max Roach, John Ambercrombie, John McLaughlin, Andreas Segovia, Jim Hall, John Williams(classical guitarist), Julian Bream, Franz Bruggen, Tomita, Vivaldi, Mozart, Bach plenty others

mid to late 80's
The Psychedelic Furs, The Smiths, The Cure, The Pixies, The The, Talk Talk, REM, u2, Michael Hedges , Tears for Fears,db's, Kate Bush, Fine Young Cannibals, The English Beat, B52's, The Fixx, The Stone Roses, General Public

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online