What Did You Listen To In The 80's?

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score
I spent a lot of time listening to all those back-to-basics bands like the dBs, the Smithereens and the Bodeans, at least when I wasn't listening to REM or Bruce Cockburn.

I also spent a lot of time listening to bluegrass then.

Last edited:

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score
REM (only up to the Fables of the Reconstruction, which was my favorite):grinthumb[/COLOR]

Excellent choice, Jackory. I vascillate between it and Life's Rich Pageant as my favorite (I may have a slight preference for Pageant). In general though I don't think anything can touch those first 4 LPs as a group.

BTW, the remastered versions of the first two are available and are well worth the price. I think the Fables remaster is supposed to be released sometime this year, and Pageant next year.

stardust

Reaction score
I was born in 1983 so I listened to kids stuff mostly and Madonna and Michael Jackson. I only developed a more refined music taste in the 90's :p

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
In the 80's, I was listening to:

-Rick Springfield ("Working Class Dog" was my favorite album at the time)

-Ozzy Osbourne (liked "Over the Mountain")

-Bon Jovi (liked "Slippery When Wet)

-UB40 (the "Rat in Mi Kitchen" album and the one with "Red Red Wine")

-INXS

-Bruce Springsteen ("Born in the USA" song and album)

-Georgia Satellites ("Keep Your Hands To Yourself")

-J. Geils Band ("Freeze Frame" album, especially the song "Piss on the Wall")

-Bryan Adams (the album with "In the Heat of the Night")

-Motley Crue (on account of my older brothers)

-Quiet Riot (also on account of my older brothers)

Most of this was based on whatever tapes my parents picked up for me, since many of the above I most likely became interested in because of Friday Night Videos (didn't have MTV) or the radio. Thus I would bug my folks about some of these groups until they got me the cassette.

In other cases, I was listening to what my brothers had on the stereo.

music man

Reaction score
In the 80s I really got into R.E.M., U2, Smithereens, Billy Idol, Bruce Hornsby & the Range, The Cars, The Fixx, Huey Lewis & the News (Sorry-I know - but I did get to see Robert Cray open up for them at a show I saw), INXS, Men at Work and a lot of the synth one hit wonder bands on MTV like Flock of Seagulls, Missing Persons, Cutting Crew, Human League, Naked Eyes & Wang Chung. I still like Tony Carey's Planet P Project. For some reason that first album has stuck with me.

AtomicPunk

Rock N Roll Rebel
Reaction score
Lots of AC/Dc, Van Halen, ZZ Top, Aerosmith, Dep Leppard, Scorpions, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest

joe

Reaction score
The age of MTV !

Jeezuz !!

:oyea:

Just brutal. I think the MTV/music video movement was more of a dentriment to music as it was more about producing "hit" videos than musical composition. Due to most of the music produced in the 80's that I couldn't stand I went back to discover music from the late 60's/early 70's. Some of the bands I did become a fan of were Iron Maiden, Metallica, Slayer and a handful of others.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElviraPeth

Staff online

Members online