What are the worst band names ever?

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I love the band, but I was always irked by the name The Guess Who....I mean it was as if they wanted to call their band The Who but couldn't. :oyea:

Still love the music though. :grinthumb

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
Also Queen was not named out of any sort of statement. In Freddie's own words: "I thought up the name Queen. It's just a name, but it's very regal obviously, and it sounds splendid. It's a strong name, very universal and immediate. It had a lot of visual potential and was open to all sorts of interpretations. I was certainly aware of gay connotations, but that was just one facet of it."

um...yeah, it was ....Hello????

that's a statement.

I was right.

Freddie Boy can down play it all he wants.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
The factor to the Queen name IMO...was that they were from England.

tumblr_kyq0eqqsL81qb987ko1_400.png

The whole sophisticated, rich, royal, dimaonds and jewels image worked well around the name.

Other meanings and interpretations can also surround it...but that to me was always my first impression.

They play God Save The Queen at the end of every show.

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
MP, you can down play it all you want....we all knew the why they called themselves Queen since the 70's, it was no secret, don't try and spin it around 35-40 years later. C'mon please, you're not talking to some kid.

Well you can think what you want, but I think I'm gonna believe the man who thought of the name though.

And he said it himself....because it was ''gay''.

Don't be in denial.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
And he said it himself....because it was ''gay''.

Don't be in denial.

No, he did not say it was gay, you're just reading something that's not there to support the point you're making. What Freddie said was that he was aware that the word "Queen" had gay connotations. Germany of course will always have ****'s associated with it but the whole country isn't made up of **** in the same way that not everything associated with the word "Queen" is gay.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
There is no "denial"...either from my opinion or Freddie's statement. I see Freddie clearly states that being gay was one "facet". It cannot be the whole however. The entire band is not gay.

Freddie was not a solo artist and they all sang and wrote.

There is the Queen of England herself that factors into the name (whether it was meant positive or negative/sarcastically I don't know)...and the whole regal type attitude that the band already had. They enjoyed that stuffy/rich/royal attitude...they were all well educated.

Again no denial....Freddie said there were multiple meanings for the name...when I was a kid...I could come up with alot of them with each album.

9dd8024128a0d53b43c81010.L._AA300_.jpg

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score
I love the band, but I was always irked by the name The Guess Who....I mean it was as if they wanted to call their band The Who but couldn't. :oyea:

Still love the music though. :grinthumb
Hmmm. MP, do you not know the story of how they came to use that name?

Not sure if it was Randy or Burton's idea, but I believe after they cut their first single they sent it out to radio stations with "Guess Who?" printed on the label to generate interest in the band. The gimmick worked and the name stuck. For better or worse apparently. :D

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score
Queen fun fact: A Day At The Races was intended to be the continuation of A Night At The Opera in the grander, conceptual sense.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Staff online

Members online