We need some Funk & Soul music...!

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Alexander 'Neal was to be the lead singer with The Time, but he made this masterpiece instead. I couldn't stop playing it at the time and I'm a headbanger! Alex must be the coolest lead singer ever and I don't think he ever made a bad record. I assume this is another Lewis/Jam production and the great Cherelle Norton sings the other parts.
Actually, Alex WAS the lead singer of The Time for a short while, but was replaced by Morris Day when Alex and Prince either got into an arguement or a fight or something like that. (from what I remember) Morris was a highschool friend (and I think one-time bandmate) with Prince so when Prince kind of took over the reigns of The Time from behind the scenes, he put Morris in place. I remember something about a favor owed, but don't know if that was true or just rumor.

*shrug*

:cheers2

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
This is from an interview with Pete Lewis, dated August 2008, during filming of a TV programme called Life Swap:

His [Alexander O'Neal's] short-lived time in Prince’s then-budding late-Seventies Minneapolis supergroup Flyte Tyme (members also included Jam & Lewis and Morris Day)

“Flyte Tyme was a wonderful band, and I felt we were on our way to getting a national deal. You know, I’d been picked to be the lead singer in a group owned by Prince; we’d started recording at Prince’s house… But then I got kicked out the band before I got kicked IN! Some people said it was because I was too black in skin pigmentation. But I still think it was because I was opinionated. I’d started showing I could think and started asking questions about the financial arrangements. But, you know, to be kicked out was heart-breaking. And the main thing I couldn’t respect about it was that Prince hadn’t been man enough to tell me. Because, all of a sudden, Flyte Tyme started rehearsing behind my back so they could become `The Time` without me! And all this time we were still doing gigs together! You know, they’d suddenly start mixing these new songs into the set and I’d be like ‘Where’s THIS coming from?’! And the only one out of all of them with the balls to tell me what was happening was Terry Lewis! But, though when I got the news I was really hurt, a lotta times good things come out of a bad situation. And that was just fuel for the fire for me! Because I felt that, if I was good enough to even be CONSIDERED for a group by Prince, then I must be good enough for the music industry! And, when Jimmy (Jam) and Terry (Lewis) came home from LA one summer night - after THEY’D got kicked outta The Time by Prince - they came into this club I was performing at in downtown Minneapolis and were like ‘Alex, when we get our plans off the ground we’re gonna get you a record deal’. And that’s exactly what they DID!”

From (Link): ALEXANDER O`NEAL: Life swap!

Lynch

Reaction score
Well, he was in Flyte Tyme, which turned into "The Time". So, I guess, technically he wasn't ever in The Time, but he was in the early parts of the band. At least, that's how I'd put it.

As for Flyte Tyme, that's actually the name of the recording studio that Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis started in Edina, MN. I was there a few times back in the late 80's and in the early 90's. Alex did have a decent following around the Minneapolis area during the late 80's into the early/mid 90's. I can't remember the last time I heard anything from him though.

:cheers:

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
He appears on TV occasionally here. Most of the Minneapolis alumnus seem to have faded here, though, perhaps because of rap? I heard somewhere that Prince fell foul of the record companies because he refused to have rap on his records. If this is true, he deserves a medal for sticking to his principles.

Lynch

Reaction score
I'm not sure about the rap thing you mentioned. There was some rapping on his Diamonds and Pearls album (which I love btw). I think that came out in '91 or maybe early '92. I think his "Symbol" album had a song or two as well, but not much after that. Tony, one of the guys in The New Power Generation (his backing band after the Revolution was broken up) did a bit of rapping, as did Rosie Gaines on at least one song that I remember.

I do know that Prince put out a couple of albums of basically 'cast off' songs just to fullfil his contract with Warner Brothers because he wanted out of their record deal he had signed years earlier.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
Maybe I misunderstood the rap situation. I know he wanted to withhold The Black album, which contained rap.

I remember Prince appearing on TV (Top of the Pops), performing some funky singles, with a scarf over his face. I cannot remember the names of the songs. Prior to that he had appeared on an awards show, with a bodyguard. I suppose people can only take so much weirdness.

Last edited:

Lynch

Reaction score
if I remember correctly, he did the scarf thing, as well as had "slave" written on his face during some appearances prior to getting out of that WB contract. :rolleyes:

_39958085_princeslave_203.jpg

I love the guy, but he's excentric as all get out. Talent oozing out of every pore though. I've been lucky enough to meet him as well as see him on stage. anyway, that's probably enough of that, getting way off topic.

:heheh:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online