Was punk necessary?

Was punk necessary?

• Total voters

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
In a very real way a serious step backwards.

minimalism, meh

How was it a step backwards? It gave all those pretentious art rock bands a kick right in the ass with their drawn out solo's after solo's. Showed you did not have to be a virtuoso to play an instrument and make some good music.

Not all punk is minimalistic.

Yes, in the short run it was necessary. No, in the long run it didn't really change anything. The internet has changed the industry way more than the punk movement did.

Gonna have to disagree with you about in the long run. Hardcore Punk developed out of punk. Metal bands that were influenced by punk bands also started to pop up. Then you have countless thrash metal bands that were spawned because of punk rock and NWOBHM which had their fair share of bands that were influenced by punk rock. You have death metal and black metal bands that were influenced by nwobhm, thrash metal, and punk rock. Can't forget the alternative rock scene. Tons of bands influenced by punk rock and the diy stance from punk / hardcore punk.
I'd say it changed alot since it played a big part in influencing a ton of bands in different genres.

Last edited:

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
I think it was a necessary part of the evolution of rock music overall but not for the same reason as given in the poll heading. I have no problem with the so call "excessive" musicianship of bands like Yes, ELP, Deep Purple etc.
but it did bring in a whole new field to explore and expand upon. Which in turn gave people a whole new freedom and space to work as to what can and can not be done ( w/ the can not being all but destroyed) . I like a lot of punk as well. Black Flag, The Exploded, Dead Kennedys, THE MISFITS, Sex Pistols, The Ramones etc. they added a well need raw edge and attitude in the late 70's rock scene, which for the most part was turning into watered down, ** hum, radio rock, and touched a raw nerve of the more uptight members of society...both of which were greatly needed.

Without punk there would have been no Thrash Metal and no Death Metal, w/o both of them there would have been no Black Metal...I know a lot of people here are thinking so what, who cares about those genres away, but I add a big so what, who cares about your opinion.

And BTW, the Clash were no better musicians then most any other punk band of their era .

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think it was a necessary part of the evolution of rock music overall but not for the same reason as given in the poll heading. I have no problem with the so call "excessive" musicianship of bands like Yes, ELP, Deep Purple etc.
but it did bring in a whole new field to explore and expand upon. Which in turn gave people a whole new freedom and space to work as to what can and can not be done ( w/ the can not being all but destroyed) . I like a lot of punk as well. Black Flag, The Exploded, Dead Kennedys, THE MISFITS, Sex Pistols, The Ramones etc. they added a well need raw edge and attitude in the late 70's rock scene, which for the most part was turning into watered down, ** hum, radio rock, and touched a raw nerve of the more uptight members of society...both of which were greatly needed.

Without punk there would have been no Thrash Metal and no Death Metal, w/o both of them there would have been no Black Metal...I know a lot of people here are thinking so what, who cares about those genres away, but I add a big so what, who cares about your opinion.

And BTW, the Clash were no better musicians then most any other punk band of their era .
That clinched it for me as well. Punk was a huge influence on those bands and genres forming. I am thankful for that not to mention like you I also dig bands like DK(Jello Biafra days), Pistols, The Clash etc.

coltrane2

Musicologist
Reaction score
Even if you hate it, no punk = no post punk,college rock, new wave, rebellious hip hop or grunge = no R.E.M. U2, Black Flag, Pixies, Husker Du, The Replacements, Social Distortion, Nirvana, The Police, Talking Heads, Beastie Boys, Public Enemy or Green Day.

....And the two music extremes would be Phil Collins and Slayer, with only shitty R&B to separate them.

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
Even if you hate it, no punk = no post punk,college rock, new wave, rebellious hip hop or grunge = no R.E.M. U2, Black Flag, Pixies, Husker Du, The Replacements, Social Distortion, Nirvana, The Police, Talking Heads, Beastie Boys, Public Enemy or Green Day.

....And the two music extremes would be Phil Collins and Slayer, with only shitty R&B to separate them.

This is the very first time I'm reading from someone saying punk influenced hip-hop. Where the hell did it come from?

coltrane2

Musicologist
Reaction score
This is the very first time I'm reading from someone saying punk influenced hip-hop. Where the hell did it come from?

It's on solid ground my friend: Rick Rubin co-founded the Def Jam label that spawned both the Beastie's and Public Enemy and everything he did was informed via his experiences on the NYC punk scene. That sense of punk rebellion and busting the envelope is all over the early Beastie Boys and Public Enemy sides, if you care to take a listen.

Listen to You're Gonna Get Yours, opening track on Public Enemy's debut and tell me you don't hear it.

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score

Slayer might not even exist if punk didn't exist.

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
It's on solid ground my friend: Rick Rubin co-founded the Def Jam label that spawned both the Beastie's and Public Enemy and everything he did was informed via his experiences on the NYC punk scene. That sense of punk rebellion and busting the envelope is all over the early Beastie Boys and Public Enemy sides, if you care to take a listen.

Listen to You're Gonna Get Yours, opening track on Public Enemy's debut and tell me you don't hear it.

I don't hear it, I agree with Beastie Boys though. However it doesn't mean punk has changed hip-hop. Hip-hop was just emerging in the 70s (while punk was on charts) and it emerged in a way most of the artists are inspired by. Rebellion was there, but in a different way, in fact more peaceful than punk.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
Slayer, as we know them, would definitely not exist w/o punk. Thrash Metal is an mixture of hardcore punk and metal ..Slayer is Thrash.......

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OEITrinida

Members online