Was punk necessary?

Was punk necessary?

• Total voters

FretBuzz

Monkey Man
Reaction score
But if there never had been any punk rock, you wouldn't have gotten to see this:

Punk_cat.jpg

Now aren't you glad that punk rock happened?

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I've posted in here yet or not. But the original punk bands bored me to tears but there are some acts after that which captivate me. While punk is far from my favorite genre it is a perpetual 'good influence' in music of just about every genre, including but not limited to the invention of thrash & black metal, grunge & alt-rock, experimental & avant garde.

opera races

Reaction score
Too funny ... once again I was searching for something entirely different and happened to get this thread in my results!

I voted for “necessary” although that isn’t quite the word I would use. I think punk gave music, particularly rock of course, a good kick in the butt, and not just musically but influenced bands and musicians in other ways too.

Going off on a slight tangent ... I remember feeling at the time that punk, while it seemed new and exciting also struck me that a lot of band members and their fans appeared very narrow minded. Only punk, any other kind of music (looking for a polite term) was terrible and you were really lame if you liked prog, arena rock, basically anything from the 60’s and 70’s that is now what is referred to as “classic rock”, pop music and heaven forbid disco. Me, being the way I am and was then as well, I definitely used to have some weekends and even consecutive days of the week where I must have seemed like a multiple personality – punk one day, disco the next day and rocking out the next. Fortunately I knew some of the sorts of punk people who did see the bigger picture musically and most of my other friends were fairly well rounded types musically. (Once upon a time I was the one seeking out new and different and sometimes off-the-wall music and now I'm the old fuddy-duddy I promised I wouldn't become! :oyea:)

In hindsight, one thing I give punk a lot of credit for is what I think I’ve referred to on this forum as the “punk DIY ethic”. A number of punk bands went ahead and put out their own records, did their own marketing, etc., directly to and for their fans. Bands such as early Def Leppard and Diamond Head took note and started out by making their own records and doing their own merchandising though of course their music was somewhat different. Also the punk ethic encouraged musicians who might not have been absolute virtuosos in the beginning to go ahead, form a band, get out and play, etc. The way I see it I have punk or rather their methods to thank indirectly for some of the other rock bands who came along during and after punk who I enjoyed then and some of which I still enjoy now.

P.S. IMO “new wave” was a label given to I think any music slightly off-the-wall at the time, perceptible as fit for consumption by the general public ... more or less. Funny how in hindsight most “new wave” of the time can be categorized into other genres ... including ... they were punk, people, deal with it!!!

Denzil Dexter

Reaction score
I think it was a much needed injection of energy and attitude into the music scene as well as a kick in the baws(nuts) to the establishment.
Punk was a pre-curser to Metal and Thrash in my opinion as Rock was becoming a bit repetitive and stagnant.
Punk musicians in the whole were pretty poor compared to the rockstars but I think the energy was the key.

You look at modern bands like BLINK 182 ,GREEN DAY,MCR etc they have married the two genres together and in my opinion created some good solid stuff that will last.

Punks Not Dead it's just grown up a bit.

Heres a track from a friend of my wife he was a relatively successful frontman/writer with
80's punk/rock band SPEAR OF DESTINY and subsequent band THEATRE OF HATE

Spear of Destiny - Liberator - YouTube

KIRK BRANDON PUMPKIN MAN..Still kickin it in 2011

Spear of Destiny - Pumpkin Man - YouTube

Death on Credit

Reaction score
If it weren't for punk rock, I might never have been born.

Plus, my music collection would consist of very little other than Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen, and the Rolling Stones.

Khor1255

Reaction score
No. It wasn't necessary. It was a rather obvious response to the pretentiousness both in pop and some forms of actual rock and roll. But necessary implies that something of overarching benefit came to life as a result of punk.

It didn't.

Punk was kind of a wake up call but unfortunately no one heard the alarm go off.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It was necessary. A lot of good bands came as a result of it. Plus it influenced a lot of the bands I currently love today.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online