Was punk necessary?

Was punk necessary?

• Total voters

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
Slayer, as we know them, would definitely not exist w/o punk. Thrash Metal is an mixture of hardcore punk and metal ..Slayer is Thrash.......

*throws in Venom*

Venom were hugely influenced by punk and most of thrashers were influenced by Venom. Same with Motorhead.

Thought I'd add my few own words. :tongue:

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
*throws in Venom*

Venom were hugely influenced by punk and most of thrashers were influenced by Venom. Same with Motorhead.

Thought I'd add my few own words. :tongue:

True, no thrash metal or thrash metal like bands ..Venom, Motorhead, Exciter,Agent Steel etc....would exits in their well known form w/o punk rock.

Just commenting on the statement made early about Slayer by coltrane2.

coltrane2

Musicologist
Reaction score
I don't hear it, I agree with Beastie Boys though. However it doesn't mean punk has changed hip-hop. Hip-hop was just emerging in the 70s (while punk was on charts) and it emerged in a way most of the artists are inspired by. Rebellion was there, but in a different way, in fact more peaceful than punk.

The first mainstream hip hop hit was Rapper's Delight in 1979, a good three years after The Sex Pistols and Public Enemy and the Beastie's didn't emerge until 1986.

Rapper's Delight has nothing whatsoever to do with punk, but the Beastie's started out as a punk band and Rubin and Public Enemy have both acknowledged in print that they were heavily influenced by punk and new wave.

Anyways, the point is that the musical landscape would be considerably less rich if not for punk.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
The Beasty Boys do not a genre make..in other words ...just because the BBs were influenced by punk that does not mean rap as a whole would not have come about w/o punk. It would and did come about w/o the influence of punk rock, in fact.

Slayer on the other hand came about by direct influence from the punk rock movement

Khor1255

Reaction score
How was it a step backwards? It gave all those pretentious art rock bands a kick right in the ass with their drawn out solo's after solo's. Showed you did not have to be a virtuoso to play an instrument and make some good music.
I like it when someone answers their own question in the same paragraph where it is asked.

Gonna have to disagree with you about in the long run. Hardcore Punk developed out of punk. Metal bands that were influenced by punk bands also started to pop up. Then you have countless thrash metal bands that were spawned because of punk rock and NWOBHM which had their fair share of bands that were influenced by punk rock. You have death metal and black metal bands that were influenced by nwobhm, thrash metal, and punk rock. Can't forget the alternative rock scene. Tons of bands influenced by punk rock and the diy stance from punk / hardcore punk.
I'd say it changed alot since it played a big part in influencing a ton of bands in different genres.
Exactly my point. It went from bands like Crimson, Yes, Zeppelin and Black Sabbath to Oasis and The White Stripes.

Even if your taste gravitates in that direction are you seriously going to say music is better influenced by Punk than Classical, Jazz or even Country?

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The first mainstream hip hop hit was Rapper's Delight in 1979, a good three years after The Sex Pistols and Public Enemy and the Beastie's didn't emerge until 1986.

Rapper's Delight has nothing whatsoever to do with punk, but the Beastie's started out as a punk band and Rubin and Public Enemy have both acknowledged in print that they were heavily influenced by punk and new wave.

Anyways, the point is that the musical landscape would be considerably less rich if not for punk.

Agreed 100%. Even if I didn't like punk I would still be thankful for it because it influenced thrash, death and black metal as DaKillerWolf stated.

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
I like it when someone answers their own question in the same paragraph where it is asked.

Any reason for the attitude? Also I didn't answer my question. That wasn't a step back for music. I also pretty much proved your minimalism comment to be a bit off with a video of a punk band who's musicianship for the genre was anything but minimalistic.

Khor1255 said:
Exactly my point. It went from bands like Crimson, Yes, Zeppelin and Black Sabbath to Oasis and The White Stripes.

Even if your taste gravitates in that direction are you seriously going to say music is better influenced by Punk than Classical, Jazz or even Country?

Oasis were influenced heavily by the Beatles as well as countless other bands BESIDES punk rock bands. Doesn't really prove anything quite honestly. Also The White Stripes were just as heavily influenced by blues as they were punk rock. Does that make blues or any other genre that influenced both bands you brought up any less important because of the influence the genres may have had on those bands which is clear you perceive to be as bad?

You did skip countless bands who's musicianship far exceeds those of bands like Crimson, Yes, Black Sabbath, and Zeppelin that were actually influenced by punk rock as well.

No I think all genres have an important role in the evolution of music.

Death on Credit

Reaction score

Yes, I would say that. But that's just personal taste.

You're throwing around the term "Minimalism," but I think that really, you just don't like punk. There's nothing wrong with not liking something, but why drag minimalism through the mud?

Country music is just as minimalistic as punk, really. So is blues, folk, and a lot of the best rock 'n roll. Just because something is minimalistic doesn't mean that it's not complex. It takes a lot of skill to express something big using less, just like it takes a lot of skill to deliver something grandiose. Hell, one of the most complicated genres of classical music is "Minimalism." Rubber Soul is minimalistic, Let it Bleed is minimalistic. Isn't part of the appeal of rock 'n roll the raw, stripped down attitude?

For my views on the subject of minimalism, I cite one of my favorite literary quips, by two authors I highly admire:
Faulkner: "[Hemingway] has never been known to use a word that might send a reader to the dictionary."
Hemingway: "Poor Faulkner. Does he really think big emotions come from big words?"

Less isn't exactly more...It's just that I think that less is better.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online

No members online now.