Warhorse (Official Thread)

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
l.jpg

Warhorse on Wikipedia

Nick Simper left Deep Purple in 1969, and joined Marsha Hunt's backing band. Not long after, Simper replaced Hunt's backing band with Ged Peck on guitar and Mac Poole on drums. When Hunt became pregnant, the band stopped touring, Simper and Peck re-organized the group as Warhorse. Holt became the band's singer, and they recruited keyboardist Rick Wakeman. When their first demo was recorded in April 1970, Wakeman was replaced by Frank Wilson.

Warhorse signed to Vertigo, and released their debut album, Warhorse in November 1970. Warhorse was managed by Ron Hire, originally part of HEC Enterprises, the original investors in Deep Purple.

The band began to tour, but made little progress, and the album failed to chart. A single, "St. Louis", was also released, which also failed to chart. By 1971, after arguments about style, Peck left and moved to classical guitar playing. He was replaced by Pete Parks.

In June 1972, their next album Red Sea was released, but soon after its release, Warhorse were dropped from the label. Around the same time, Poole decided to leave Warhorse, for Gong. The band carried on, and replaced Poole with Barney James. Wakeman used both Holt and James for his solo album, Journey to the Centre of the Earth. Warhorse's last concert in 1974 was at Polhill College, Bedford.

This band have a great heavy sound, the albums are available to buy, remastered with extra tracks and are a must in your collection if you like Deep Purple.

This is a great track from their first album...

Vulture Blood

Last edited by a moderator:

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
Re: Warhorse

Listen to this for some strong Purple influences me thinks...classic and a must for your collection.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I have their debut Sweaty, haven't played it yet I'll get to it eventually though.

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score

You have the advantage on me, I have had their albums on my wish list for ever, I really must get them, check this classic out....

Ritual

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

They do sound good Sweaty...I made a note about them from DAKILLERWOLF/JOEs proto metal thread they certainly do have my good approval !

Breadfan

Reaction score

Yes an excellent band - I have both too although the first is superior methinks.

Quite close to the DP Mk1 sound and that isn't a band thing!

As for Purple, many would agree with me that the eponymous LP is their finest.

Robust stuff?

Not 'arf!

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online

No members online now.