• Adele

Votes: 12 24.5%

• Total voters

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle, it could be from so many different tangents. It could be for music or rock fans that prefer vocals as a driving force in music over guitar solos. I love rock but I, and not necessarily in reference to Van Halen, dislike long winded masturbating of the guitar solos. I prefer structured songs and for me whether it be jammy rock, progressive rock or glam metal I just think they just riff for the sake of riffing at times. This is why I prefer Van Hagar as the songs were more powerful and focused IMO. For me it's not a generation thing because I don't go by era but even as a new artist Adele would satisfy what I like more and she's not my favorite post 2,000 artist by miles. That, and this is another tangent for voting, I love piano melodies within or outside of rock more than guitar. Just so many reasons besides what I grew up with. Hell, Adele isn't my generation either. At my peak age I had Grunge. Still love it but moved on from it. Just food for thought! :)

Phil, do it! :heheh:
This is my point though, it comes down to personal preference, not who is necessarily better. :)
If it asked who do people like better it would make more sense. Now for the record I know some can disagree, I am cool with that, its my own personal opinion so I merely speak for myself here. This isn't the mod in me talking its the member giving a personal opinion on threads like this. Whether someone is better is asking who is more talented at what they do which is the question on the poll. To me that is near impossible to answer since both Van Halen and Adele do very different forms of music.

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
Vehicle, it could be from so many different tangents. It could be for music or rock fans that prefer vocals as a driving force in music over guitar solos. I love rock but I, and not necessarily in reference to Van Halen, dislike long winded masturbating of the guitar solos. I prefer structured songs and for me whether it be jammy rock, progressive rock or glam metal I just think they just riff for the sake of riffing at times. This is why I prefer Van Hagar as the songs were more powerful and focused IMO. For me it's not a generation thing because I don't go by era but even as a new artist Adele would satisfy what I like more and she's not my favorite post 2,000 artist by miles. That, and this is another tangent for voting, I love piano melodies within or outside of rock more than guitar. Just so many reasons besides what I grew up with. Hell, Adele isn't my generation either. At my peak age I had Grunge. Still love it but moved on from it. Just food for thought! :)

Phil, do it! :heheh:

Point taken.

I read the thread before I voted, and there were 3-4 votes for Adele, from posters in their 20s. (the ones who have their age visible). Also, here were at least 4 posters that said they only took Adele to spite VH.

I suppose I could back through it, and actually count them, but it's not worth all that.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
This is my point though, it comes down to personal preference, not who is necessarily better. :)
If it asked who do people like better it would make more sense. Now for the record I know some can disagree, I am cool with that, its my own personal opinion so I merely speak for myself here. This isn't the mod in me talking its the member giving a personal opinion on threads like this. Whether someone is better is asking who is more talented at what they do which is the question on the poll. To me that is near impossible to answer since both Van Halen and Adele do very different forms of music.

Which is what I was trying to get at Riff! :) Music to me is more art than craft although I realize craft is involved. For me, better has as much to do with songwriting and creating the whole rather than instrumental prowess. I listen to Jazz which is all about instrumental prowess and inventive patterns, rhythms and techniques but a lot of it is pretentious and not good songwriting IMO. Now I hate even having to use an artist like Adele in the example here because she has like two albums to her name but her songs tell more of a story than Van Halens IMO and I don't see them as songwriters as much as musicians. I own a lot of Van Halen but especially with the David Lee Roth era their songs are honestly not ones to stay with me. I guess Adeles are a matter of time to truly judge but I do know the ones I really do like from her still hit home when I hear them and I can break them down by mood, story and melody while I hear a Van Halen song and think well he's certainly shredding and that must be cool entertainment live. It's also a perspective on what better is just like whether you like a painting that is photorealistic (Craft) or in one of the many styles that evoke emotion and imagination (art). :cheers2

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Point taken.

I read the thread before I voted, and there were 3-4 votes for Adele, from posters in their 20s. (the ones who have their age visible). Also, here were at least 4 posters that said they only took Adele to spite VH.

I suppose I could back through it, and actually count them, but it's not worth all that.

Yeah, I think the timing of the thread was an element too. I wasn't trying to contradict what you said but add to it. Why people like or don't like things gets my gears turning. In the end I listen to a lot of things and each serves a different purpose for me. I even own a number of David Lee Roths Van Halen eras albums and even with my Van Hagar preference I still enjoy the fun element of DLRs stuff. I remember the solo vids he had with all the bikini chicks! Gotta love the T n' A MTV video era! :heheh:

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
I even own a number of David Lee Roths Van Halen eras albums and even with my Van Hagar preference I still enjoy the fun element of DLRs stuff. :heheh:

I'm right with you on this. Well, not exactly right with you, I don't prefer one over the other.

I love a bunch of stuff from the Van Hagar days.

Like any lineup change, there's going to be a shift in fan base. Some climb on board, some jump ship.

Some leave because of loyalty to the departing member.

Some leave because the music changes.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion about Van Hagar. It's a shame, though, that some people heard the first Van Hagar single, 'Why Can't This Be Love' and condemned the band based on that alone.

Everyone knows, the single any artist releases is more than likely the most mainstream, innoffensive track. The one with the most potential to reach a larger audience.

The Van Hagar cds, all four of them, are well done, musically. More polished than the originals, which were more raw and 'less produced'.

I know, because I own all four. OU812, 5150, For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge and Balance, all have some crunchy, mean stuff on them.

Poundcake
Black and Blue
Spanked
Amsterdam
Big Fat Money

Those are some real a$$ kickers.

I remember the solo vids he had with all the bikini chicks! Gotta love the T n' A MTV video era!
:

And for those of you weren't born yet:

(if you want to skip the intro, the song starts around 1:30 or so.

Khor1255

Reaction score
Wow! How could I have missed this one?

You know I really want to say Adele if for nothing else the good feeling it would give me but I just can't. VH blows hard when they stink up the room but they have enough good material to put them above someone with a really good voice who manages to pick songs today that aren't completely annoying.

I'll honestly have to listen to the new releases from each artist to decide who's new stuff I like best but for the moment I'll have to say VH without a doubt.

EDIT

Yikes, I already responded to this thread. See kids, stay in school and don't do drugs or you could be caught responding twice to a joke poll.

Also, I'm very angry about this comparison. Don't sully the good name of Adele like this.

Last edited:

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
Hey, there's no birthday party for me in here.

7117673567_b1eac3f47f_m.jpg

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JessKellow

Members online