Van Halen (Official Thread)

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
The first time I heard it was on the album itself, wayyyyyy before ever seeing a video. Maybe that's why I'm askin'.

I came right from the record store to my buddy's house and said look what I got!!

I had that and Defenders Of The Faith (Judas Priest) with me. Of course they jumped right to Van Halen. I remember us diggin' the "1984" intro...and when Jump kicked in, the power of the melody and drums kinda knocked us on our asses.

It was on a bitchin' stereo system as well..and my friend had it cranked to 11 before the needle went down. :grinthumb

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The first time I heard it was on the album itself, wayyyyyy before ever seeing a video. Maybe that's why I'm askin'.

I came right from the record store to my buddy's house and said look what I got!!

I had that and Defenders Of The Faith (Judas Priest) with me. Of course they jumped right to Van Halen. I remember us diggin' the "1984" intro...and when Jump kicked in, the power of the melody and drums kinda knocked us on our asses.

It was on a bitchin' stereo system as well..and my friend had it cranked to 11 before the needle went down. :grinthumb

I was the same when I first heard Judas Priest Turbo Lover with that synthesiser sound. I still like listening to that. Synthesisers can go well with the right tone.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
I don't have a problem with "Jump" other the synths on "1984". Just most of the songs don't catch my ear on that album. If I had to nitpick at the synths then I'd rag on "I'll Wait" way more than "Jump" since that's the one I don't like.

cyggy

Cygnusx1
Reaction score
I Love "Jump" , thought the video was cool too :)

I am best pleased by DLR and Van Halen line up , a big fan of Diamond Dave , loved most of his solo stuff (except his third solo album) .... love his coverage of "old time music" too .

Jump came out around the time of Yes' "Owner of a Lonely Heart" good days for music

I was fortunate enough to see them LIVE in 1979 ? or 1980 , they only had the first album out , a friend said "have a listen and let us know if you want a ticket " ! I was stunned by the album and the GIG was great , it is simply magical to catch an act just before it goes ballistic .

Last edited:

Powerage

Let There Be Rock!
Reaction score
The 1984 album is commercial, but it still rocks like hell. Hot For Teacher, Drop Dead Legs, Panama, Top Jimmy.

The keyboards don't bother me too much, they were still partying hard. Which can't be said for Sammy Hagar's time in the band.

"Sam brings the party, I AM the party." David Lee Roth

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Today was a slow day at work so I listened to all of the Van Halen albums with Dave (minus "Diver Down" because I've never bothered to buy that one) in order and I was honestly very happy to go from "1984" to "A Different Kind of Truth".

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
^^ You should get Diver Down...I've always liked it. If it's not your cup of tea, at least it's short!!

As much as the new CD has grown on me (yes still like it) it's wierd to think that they won't have something as outrageous as this again! Still fresh , HEAVY and trippy to this day.

Tora Tora/Loss Of Control

GREAT video/ Very rare! :grinthumb

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
I'm sure I'll get around to getting "Diver Down" eventually just to close out my DLR Van Halen collection but I'm not putting a rush on it.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cucukakek89apk

Members online