Van Halen (Official Thread)

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is it worth getting the Sammy Hagar albums? I had been tempted but just wanted a little feedback if his albums are worth getting. Any to avoid?

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
As far as Van Hagar goes so far I only have 5150, Riff. It's a great album but I still prefer Roth anyday. :)

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Well Riff, I know Sooty prefers Van Halen with Sammy than with Dave but he's the only one I know off the top of my head. I wouldn't say you should avoid those albums (at least not the first two with Sammy) but just don't expect it to be the same kind of band as with the classic lineup.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
As far as Van Hagar goes so far I only have 5150, Riff. It's a great album but I still prefer Roth anyday. :)
5150 I have been tempted to get but if you like it then I will give it a shot. :)
Well Riff, I know Sooty prefers Van Halen with Sammy than with Dave but he's the only one I know off the top of my head. I wouldn't say you should avoid those albums (at least not the first two with Sammy) but just don't expect it to be the same kind of band as with the classic lineup.

A good honest reply, knowing I shouldn't expect the same as what I would with the Roth albums will be beneficial.

Powerage

Let There Be Rock!
Reaction score
I would avoid 5150, 0u812, ****, Balance and Van Halen 3 if I were you. The rest is all good :heheh:

Rock Candy

Rock 'n' Roll Doctor
Reaction score
I honestly can't really see anyone who liked the more poppy moments of 1984 harbouring an intense dislike for 5150 (Well, bar the Roth loyalists), it's pretty much just cut from the same cloth, albeit with the pop sensibility turned up ever so slightly. Assuming you don't mind/enjoy the whole glossy, reverb-y 80s AOR (over)production, you'll be fine. OU812 I've always basically found to be its less focused little brother. Still, some quality songs to be found there.

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge is basically just a really good, catchy hard rock record. It's much less caked in 80s synths than 5150 and OU812, so if you find that off-putting, you're in luck. Balance I find to a little too '90s for me (and frankly, boring), but I know quite a few people seem to like the darker, more serious (Mature?) direction they took with that one.

VH3 really isn't very good though, the absolutely abysmal production and mixing job essentially kills what could've potentially been some reasonably good songs. I've heard people saying that VH3 could've been better had Mitch Malloy actually stuck around in Van Halen for more than five minutes, but I disagree. Although I have to say I'll take Malloy over Gary Cherone anyday, Cherone's vocals were certainly not the weakest link on VH3.

Last edited:

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Loving 5150 at the moment and this is just two tracks in.
Why Can't This Be Love is an enjoyable tune.

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
Another little bit of Van Halen trivia:

Eddie and Dave were fighting in the studio (I'm assuming verbally) and they left an entire hunk of Pretty Woman out because of the distraction.

I don't know if it's a chorus or a verse right offhand. I'd have to listen.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarrelDeSa

Members online