Van Halen (Official Thread)

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Alright, enough of that weird stuff.... can only take a couple of songs at a time from that album. :(

Just freshened it up a bit with something from A Different Kind of Truth - Honeybabysweetiedoll. Now that's a cool Van Halen track.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
My favorite tune from that (Van Halen III) man IS Without You!!

Yeah it's not a "bad" album, just a bad Van Halen album I think. It is a bit rough to spin. I usually just pretend I'm listening to an Extreme album and then it gets better. :heheh:

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I might have a listen to Van Halen III on Youtube to hear for myself. I have heard nothing but bad and the bad part is that increases my curiosity.

Alright, enough of that weird stuff.... can only take a couple of songs at a time from that album. :(

Just freshened it up a bit with something from A Different Kind of Truth - Honeybabysweetiedoll. Now that's a cool Van Halen track.

This was the song that took longest to grow on me dunno why either. Same with Tattoo which I still think is the weakest song on the album too.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
This was the song that took longest to grow on me dunno why either. Same with Tattoo which I still think is the weakest song on the album too.

I know I'm in the minority for this but I think "Tattoo" is a really good song. It has enough of a rock edge as well as the catchiness that originally let Van Halen cross over with songs like "Dance The Night Away" and "Jump"

I agree with you that "Honeysweetiebabydoll" is one of the weakest songs on "A Different Kind of Truth" though along with "As Is".

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Well, wtf... I responded to your comment below last night, but now I don't see it. :bonk:

I was having a bunch of browser/mouse/keyboard issues so maybe my submit went at the same time that all of THAT crap blewup. :rolleyes:

For me, I never really grabbed on to Tattoo. I know a lot of people were all pumped about it "NEW VAN HALEN!! WOOHOO", but I was pretty underwhelmed by it. It's not bad, but it surely isn't anywhere near what I would have been hoping for after the hype and surely not the song I would have picked for pushing that album into the public eye.

I also don't think that Stay Frosty is that great either. It's a fun little ditty, but I definitely can't put it up on a pedistal next to Ice Cream Man the way that I've seen some do ... not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's just nowhere in that Ice Cream Man class to me

Uh uh uh ... uh uh uh .. uh uh uh uh ah ah .. ah .. ah :wtf:

Also the tempo for the first nearly 2 minutes just feels wrong or like they really aren't in sync. Once they get jammin', it gets a lot better (ie: the two solo sections). :)

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I know I'm in the minority for this but I think "Tattoo" is a really good song. It has enough of a rock edge as well as the catchiness that originally let Van Halen cross over with songs like "Dance The Night Away" and "Jump"

I agree with you that "Honeysweetiebabydoll" is one of the weakest songs on "A Different Kind of Truth" though along with "As Is".
I like Tattoo as well, whilst I think its a weak start to the album it did kinda grow on me a bit.
Well, wtf... I responded to your comment below last night, but now I don't see it. :bonk:

I was having a bunch of browser/mouse/keyboard issues so maybe my submit went at the same time that all of THAT crap blewup. :rolleyes:

For me, I never really grabbed on to Tattoo. I know a lot of people were all pumped about it "NEW VAN HALEN!! WOOHOO", but I was pretty underwhelmed by it. It's not bad, but it surely isn't anywhere near what I would have been hoping for after the hype and surely not the song I would have picked for pushing that album into the public eye.

I also don't think that Stay Frosty is that great either. It's a fun little ditty, but I definitely can't put it up on a pedistal next to Ice Cream Man the way that I've seen some do ... not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's just nowhere in that Ice Cream Man class to me

Uh uh uh ... uh uh uh .. uh uh uh uh ah ah .. ah .. ah :wtf:

Also the tempo for the first nearly 2 minutes just feels wrong or like they really aren't in sync. Once they get jammin', it gets a lot better (ie: the two solo sections). :)
Stay Frosty reminding me so much of Ice Cream Man is why I love that one. I wouldn't put it in the same class as Ice Cream Man either but to be honest I am glad its not the same thing.
Most people were wowed by Tattoo but I wasn't. It really is a song that either takes time to grow or it just won't, its a hit or miss type scenario there.

electric funeral

Just listening music
Reaction score
I've been playing Fair Warning a lot. I think it is a terrific album!! Underrated in their discography??

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
I have been listening to the new album today and I am impressed, love the song, "Stay Frosty". Roth is a good frontman, still doesn't beat the first album...:peek

gigispeed1332

Reaction score
This is one band I have had a tough time getting into, I think they are fun and good party music (similar to AC/DC) but not something I can ever listen to on my own time.

If I had to choose albums I preferred it would definitely be #1 and #2.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online