Uriah Heep (Official Thread)

Ar-Pharazon

Reaction score
How the hell did I not hear about John Lawton dying in June 2021? Was there a thread here? I remember knowing about Dieter Horns (also Lucifer's Friend) passing in 2020.

One of my top all-time vocalists.

E-Z

Reaction score
How the hell did I not hear about John Lawton dying in June 2021? Was there a thread here? I remember knowing about Dieter Horns (also Lucifer's Friend) passing in 2020.

One of my top all-time vocalists.
I can't remember if I heard of John's passing or not cos many musicians from the 'golden age' of rock the 1970s appear to be checking out of this life these days I presume cos many are now in there 70s and 80s. As for John I always liked the three 'Heep' albums that he appeared on during the second-half of the 1970s

Last edited:

Ar-Pharazon

Reaction score
I can't remember if I heard of John's passing or not cos many musicians from the 'golden age' of rock the 1970s appear to be checking out of this life these days I presume cos many are now in there 70s and 80s. As for John I always liked the three 'Heep' albums that he appeared on during the second-half of the 1970s
Those 3 albums are easily in my top 10 UH albums, maybe even top 7 or 8 if I put some thought into it.

I only wish Hensley had finished (or started?) mastering the 5 Miles/10 Miles session stuff, so we could've had a full 4th Lawton era album. A couple tracks appeared on various "rarity collections" and two were re-recorded for Conquest.

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score
Those 3 albums are easily in my top 10 UH albums, maybe even top 7 or 8 if I put some thought into it.

I only wish Hensley had finished (or started?) mastering the 5 Miles/10 Miles session stuff, so we could've had a full 4th Lawton era album. A couple tracks appeared on various "rarity collections" and two were re-recorded for Conquest.
There is a bootleg available of the Ten Miles sessions but the production/quality is really bad. In my opinion, the decision not to release it was probably the correct one. It's almost as bad as Conquest!
I agree that John Lawton was a great singer. The Firefly and Innocent Victim albums are also among my favourite Heep albums. Fallen Angel they went a little off course for me, though there were a few great songs (Come back to me esp). Also the Lucifer's Friend albums with JL are really great, especially the s/t one.
lucifer's friend.jpg

Last edited:

Ar-Pharazon

Reaction score
There is a bootleg available of the Ten Miles sessions but the production/quality is really bad. In my opinion, the decision not to release it was probably the correct one. It's almost as bad as Conquest!
I agree that John Lawton was a great singer. The Firefly and Innocent Victim albums are also among my favourite Heep albums. Fallen Angel they went a little off course for me, though there were a few great songs (Come back to me esp). Also the Lucifer's Friend albums with JL are really great, especially the s/t one.
View attachment 216878
I bought 2 copies of the Ten Mile bootleg from somewhere in Russia in the 90's. And a good thing I got 2, since they were cheap CD's and one of them deteriorated. But I ripped the good one eventually.

I remember a piece on Hensley's website later on saying he was looking at mastering the thing around 1999, but I don't think anything ever came of it. I can't even find the website any more.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HildredLad

Members online