Universal to drop CD prices!

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score
I'm just afraid outlets will rebel by cutting down even more shelf space because of whining about losing money. It'll be a sad day when the only choice I have is impersonal digital crap! :(

The whole theory of price cutting is that you are supposed to make up for it in volume.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
This is so old now. I wrote a "Bucky" sized OP in the old tech forum where Magic and I met 3 years ago, about the whole state of the music industry. At that time an article written in one of our newspapers stated that CD sales were stable for the first time since the "Abomination" of i-tunes entered the music world and turned everything upside down. The labels found that people still wanted the Physical product in their hands, rather than just a download on their portable device.(They experimented with offering CD's for around ten bucks a shot and found the results were above expectations.)

Just amazes me they have waited 3 years or so before finally getting their act together, and I will always rather spend $10 for a CD than $8 for an i-tunes lossy download, after all when you own the WAV CD, you can always make your own MP3 etc., and load that on your portable.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
This is so old now. I wrote a "Bucky" sized OP in the old tech forum where Magic and I met 3 years ago, about the whole state of the music industry. At that time an article written in one of our newspapers stated that CD sales were stable for the first time since the "Abomination" of i-tunes entered the music world and turned everything upside down. The labels found that people still wanted the Physical product in their hands, rather than just a download on their portable device.(They experimented with offering CD's for around ten bucks a shot and found the results were above expectations.)

Just amazes me they have waited 3 years or so before finally getting their act together, and I will always rather spend $10 for a CD than $8 for an i-tunes lossy download, after all when you own the WAV CD, you can always make your own MP3 etc., and load that on your portable.

:clap: :hab:

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score

:bow: :tup: :tm: :clap: :yay:

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score
Lots of compilations and reissues are available around $7 but quality is often an problem.
It may be the "original artist", but is frequently redone by that artist. They just don't sound very good. We do have a shop with bins full of Classic Rock, Blues and Jazz that are heavily discounted. Most are "greatest hits" but occasionally you can find reissued albums with a good many extra cuts included. The power of the bootleg is drawing out this material.

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score
Elizabeth:

I don't think I'd buy one for $5 if I could get it online with decent sound quality.

By which I mean buy it on iTunes....

I don't understand. iTunes are compressed/lossy. Are there now "super" iTunes or something that aren't lossy?

:huh:

And did I mention his CDs are everywhere?

I file my LPs and CDs neatly in order but my collections of each have now expanded beyond my cabinet storage capacity which presents a very real problem.

:(

Overall though this thread highlights just how inexpensive recorded music is these days. LPs were $4.48 when I first started buying them in 1967. CDs cost only three times as much these days, and they're quite a bit longer. Taking inflation into account, CDs are already a great deal.

Admittedly when CDs first came out in the eighties they sounded sterile and cold compared with the rich, lush sound of vinyl LPs but great strides have been made in CD reproduction and recent releases don't compare all that badly to vinyl.

:rock:

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Some of the old 70's rock and metal sound better on vinyl, like Edgar Winter's "They Only Come Out At Night", they totally lost the massive drum kit sound that made the record so amazing.

But I think anything from the 90's and especially 2000's is really well done on CD now. Some bands use the analogue recording equipment and then transfer them to digital later, helps keep the warmth that fanatics like Hep are adamant about.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LongIshmael

Members online