Ultimate Classic Rock Vocalist Bracket: Final Four

Which singer is better in each group?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheWhalerfan

Lovus My Avatarus
Reaction score
I will give these a listen, as I always try to see what others find good about a particular artist, especially if I am in the minority.

FireandWater

Family Man
Reaction score
I do like Robert Plant but good god he could not sing great live. I just never thought there was anything special about McCartney's voice at all. Mr. Mercury and Mr. Rodgers sound good studio, live, doesn't matter.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Here's my VERY quick take:

1) Freddie - great front man, great voice, great entertainer, nothing I can say about him that hasn't been said a billion times before

2) McCartney - great in everything he's ever done. One of the best songwriters of all time and one of the most entertaining and fun musicians to ever step foot on the stage. Can't say a bad word about him. One of the best ever.

3) Paul Rodgers - one of THE best rock vocalists of all time, I don't know how anyone could see otherwise. He's very deserving of being where he is in this final four. His career has spanned over 40 years and he's still knocking the crowd dead with great performances and a voice that hasn't lost much over the span of his career.

4) Robert Plant - had a great career with a legendary band for about 10 years. Did a great job in studio and was fairly sloppy quite often in concert, having a hard time duplicating the shrilling found on the studio work. Lots of ups and downs. Take his solo career that followed LZ and it's extremely "meh". The least of the 4 in this Final Four in terms of accomplishments over the span of a career. That's not to say he wasn't any good, but of the 4 left, he's way below the other 3 (IMHO)

Just my two cents worth, feel free to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about.

tomcat

CRF Ex-Con
Reaction score
On a Misty Mountain overlooking Strawberry Fields.
Be My Friend sounded good, but overall, Paul Rodgers lacks vocal personality that's why I can do without him. And Queen has two songs I like....And Freddy Mercury is just annoying as hell with that big nasty mustache and his overall persona. And like I said, I don't like Queen's music/songs.

McCartney has a great vocal range and a ton of personality vocally and personally, as well as being a genus: lyrically, musically, and vocally. In 100 yrs, he will still be just as well known and revered. Paul Rogers will be dust in the wind. McCartney is clearly the best of the bunch.

Last edited:

Sunny

Settled down at last and very happy.
Reaction score
Here's my VERY quick take:

1) Freddie - great front man, great voice, great entertainer, nothing I can say about him that hasn't been said a billion times before

2) McCartney - great in everything he's ever done. One of the best songwriters of all time and one of the most entertaining and fun musicians to ever step foot on the stage. Can't say a bad word about him. One of the best ever.

3) Paul Rodgers - one of THE best rock vocalists of all time, I don't know how anyone could see otherwise. He's very deserving of being where he is in this final four. His career has spanned over 40 years and he's still knocking the crowd dead with great performances and a voice that hasn't lost much over the span of his career.

4) Robert Plant - had a great career with a legendary band for about 10 years. Did a great job in studio and was fairly sloppy quite often in concert, having a hard time duplicating the shrilling found on the studio work. Lots of ups and downs. Take his solo career that followed LZ and it's extremely "meh". The least of the 4 in this Final Four in terms of accomplishments over the span of a career. That's not to say he wasn't any good, but of the 4 left, he's way below the other 3 (IMHO)

Just my two cents worth, feel free to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about.

Beautifully said Lynch - couldn't have said it better myself :D

FireandWater

Family Man
Reaction score
Interesting. Who had the toughest and easiest path getting to the finals?

Mercury beat John Lennon, Klaus Meine, Ronnie James Dio, and David Coverdale

McCartney beat Ozzy, Ronnie Van Zant, Bruce Dickinson, and Steve Perry

Rodgers beat Van Morrison, Sammy Hagar, Ann Wilson, and Ian Gillan

Plant beat Bon Scott, Bruce Springsteen, Geddy Lee, and Rob Halford

tomcat

CRF Ex-Con
Reaction score
I wondered the same thing, but he has a huge following on the board. Recently I have been pouring over videos trying to get it, but I just don't. I guess I am one of the few that don't love his voice.

That's because you've heard his voice, or one very similar, at your local bar a million times. And I beg to differ that he is still so successful. He's with Queen right? Well how's that working out? That is NOT Queen. It's a fancy bar band IMO. I think he's a mediocre journey man vocalist.

And as far as Plant fading into oblivion, at least he did something original. I like he and Allison Krause together. He reinvented himself and sounded great--commercial success doesn't mean shit theses days--look at American idiot (i mean idol). Maybe Plant can't sing the mighty Zep tunes anymore, but he DID sing them at one time--AND THAT is enough for me. Rodgers has wet dreams at best, of achieving that success and accomplishment...Hell he had a crack with Page--but the Firm SUCKED.

tomcat

CRF Ex-Con
Reaction score
Interesting. Who had the toughest and easiest path getting to the finals?

Mercury beat John Lennon, Klaus Meine, Ronnie James Dio, and David Coverdale

McCartney beat Ozzy, Ronnie Van Zant, Bruce Dickinson, and Steve Perry

Rodgers beat Van Morrison, Sammy Hagar, Ann Wilson, and Ian Gillan

Plant beat Bon Scott, Bruce Springsteen, Geddy Lee, and Rob Halford

Mr. Rodgers easily had the easiest road to the final four. He should have never gotten past Anne Wilson. Van Morrison sucks. Sammy Hagar is pretty lame, and I can do without Purple, though Ian Gilan has a great set of pipes and should have also taken out Rodgers.

McCartney and Mercury had the toughest matchups.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tayson ray