Tori Amos (Official Thread)

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
Re: "The Official" Tori Amos Thread

Another Favorite from a show I was at Professional Widow.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

I'm not a huge fan of Tori but I do respect her work a lot.

A story that I think I want to share is that last week (I think exactly a week for that matter) there was in incident where I my kindness was horribly abused by a "friend" (whom I have since washed my hands clean of) for the something-teenth time and after the straw broke the camel's back I was in my car driving home when "Cornflake Girl" came on and as I sang along with it my voice started to crack and my eyes watered and I literally started to sob. To some people this might not seem like a big deal but I haven't cried in years, let alone something so powerful and uncontrollable. Something about that song at that moment triggered this feeling inside me that just ripped my heart asunder and I broke down and actually had to pull my car over because I wasn't able to drive at that moment. I just sat there with my head resting on the steering wheel as I tried to sing but I just couldn't get the words to come out......it was an unreal moment....

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Awesome feedback overall guys!

Cosmic, even though you say you aren't Tori's biggrest fan trhat is a great story you told about a Tori moment you had. I believe Tori has that special gift in music where you can just connect with a song of hers even if you don't understand the song itself. She just puts so much authentic life into her music that it's universal. Hearing Tori in interviews it makes sense as she respects each song that comes out of her so much that she treats them like they are living breathing entities themselves. :)

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

Well it's my understanding that "Cornflake Girl" is about vagina mutilation soooooo.....based on it's subject matter it wasn't all that relevant to what I was feeling at the moment but, even though I'd heard the song many times before, there was just something about hearing it at that moment that hit me like a semi.....I don't know really....

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

Wow Harmony...that was pretty powerful

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

Upside Down! Creation Outside of Peabody: Age 11-13

Age 11
age11big.jpg

After getting let go by Peabody Tori struggled to find a place to use her talent but she nor her family gave up on her. At 11, she started writing songs that went beyond the silly Jackass and a Toad. One of the songs, written at age 12 about a boy she had the hots for, More Than a Friend would actually turn into something bigger down the road.

Another step Tori took, unbeknownst to Tori's family, was that Tori would smoke her first joint at age 12. In fact, after being caught, Tori was able to play off her innocence and fool her father! :heheh: Now I've been reading up on it and actually I thought this was a regular thing for Tori. I don't think anyone can blame me for assuming this even as a fan and I know she talked openly about Shamans and the effects of hallucinogenic drugs from the Pele period. Anyway, reading peoples recollections, Tori seems to use it sparingly at most and claims never on tour! She's also been stated as turning it down. Anyway, at twelve Tori had another rock n' roll first!

Obviously, Tori gives this impression a lot as she was searched at the border for drugs! Here's a funny story!

Funny Drug Story

At 13, Tori's father showed his true dedication to pushing Tori forward as he brought her to perform in bars. His true dedication showed as he pissed off his church by showing no discretion in what bars as long as she got to play. Now the bar scene alone would rile up the church but Tori's Dad would bring her to gay bars to play if need be and you can imagine how that went over!

A quote from Tori's Dad Rev. Ed Amos:

Do you know any Methodist ministers who would take their daughters to sing in bars? I took a lot of criticism for that. Other clergy thought I was sinning, driving my daughter into dens of iniquity.

Around this time, Tori also tried auditioning again for Peabody but of course on her own terms. Once again, Tori picked a contemporary artist and performed a Linda Ronstadt song, I've Been Cheated. She didn't get in but she didn't lose out completely as one Peabody teacher, Patricia Springer, who saw potential in Tori taught her privately! :)

Age 13
age13big.jpg

At age 13, Tori was the embodiment of the awkward teenage girl. She had just shed her braces and was moving into young adulthood. She didn't really belong to any of the cliche middle school groups like the cool kids or the geeks. Tori was a loner who usually got lost in her own world to the point where she alienated herself. It seems this is the age where her imagination really was blooming but she was also suppressing it to fit in with her surrounding peers. Tori dealt with teenage girl prisses who harassed her and advances from boys that disgusted her. In more discouraging news, this was the year that Tori sent out demo tapes to no avail. At a young age Tori was learning all about rejection in many forms.

Tori did have a substantial victory during this time though. Her song, More Than a Friend, won her a 1st place award in the county Teen Talent contest!

The article:

Montgomery Journal
March 31, 1977

Photo: Linda White

Top Teens In Talent Test

1977.jpgTHE GIRL at the piano is 13-year-old Ellen Amos, first place winner in the 13th Annual Teen Talent Contest sponsored by the Montgomery County Recreation Department and the Kensington - Wheaton Jaycees. Ellen not only plays and sings, she is a talented composer. In fact, she wrote the song that she performed. Second place winner at last Saturday’s competition was Barbara Hackett, shown at right putting body and soul into her oral reading from “The Member of the Wedding.” Barbara played both 13-year-old Frankie and the family cook Berniece. Ellen and Barbara won $100 and $50 bonds respectively.

It was the first time her originality won her any accolades but wouldn't be the last. :grinthumb

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score

Not goingto happen tori back on the first page. :)

Another round of pictures
Tori playing with a doll before Hey Jupiter, it was the third nite of Tori at the Beacon and the first time I brought my camera, Beacon theater 10/11/01.

4468805730_0e3c46241f.jpg

4468030923_3486a21bfd.jpg

What I will always remember about that nite is even though I went to the first two nites and had seen a few shows since 9/11
Tori played three songs in a row that brought out how we were feeling(I had lost a friend to the twin towers.). The first "Not the Red Baron"

"another pilot down
and are their devils with halos
in beautiful capes
taking them into the flames"

then Crucify (no explaination needed)

but it was the first lines of Yes Anastasia that lost me and I was not alone

"thought i'd been through this in 1919
Counting the tears Of ten thousand men
And gathered them all
But my feet are slipping
There's something we left on the windowsill
There's something we left yes
We'll see how brave you are
We'll see how fast you'll be running
We'll see how brave you are"

I turned to my friend next to me and she was in tears(she had lost a close neighbor who was a fireman).
While it has nothing to do with 9/11 after that nite it did for me. I swear I remember her singing "Brave you are" over and over

Yes Anastasia

Last edited by a moderator:

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score

Tori stories
Saved by Elton John

Last edited by a moderator:

Reaction score

AK you have the most awesome pictures:grinthumb

I cam into this thread looking for something I hadn't heard before and am definitely into it, I didn't expect to be for some reason, but I like what I hear...

what's the best album to start with?

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Members online