Am enjoying reading this, great stuff Soot :grinthumb

Here's a few of my favourites:

Last edited by a moderator:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Re: "The Official" Tori Amos Thread

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

May be my favorite Boys For Pele track MP! It was the one that sank in first to get me into the album after the first couple listens. Thanks for the video contributions guys!

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

Pele is all good!!!

Beauty Queen/Horses

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

The Not So Silent Younger Years Part 2: The Peabody Years Ages 6-11

Age 7
age7big.jpg

Peabody did many things for Tori! It taught her to start reading music rather than just playing by ear! It introduced her to musicians outside of classical music like Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Jim Morrison and Jimi Hendrix. This introduction came from her classmates and put her at odds with the teachers who wanted her focus to be on classical.

Here's a Tori quote:

It was very early: the [Beatles] Sgt. Pepper record. I was five years old and studying piano at the Peabody Conservatory, and when I heard that, I knew. I knew I would never be a classical pianist; I knew from that moment it was all over. Because I brought it in for my teacher to hear, I said, “This! This is it!” And they listened and they said, “No it isn't! Get it out of here! Sit back on the stool and do Mozart again.” And I said, “No, no, no. This is Mozart if he were here now. They're the same!” And they said, “No they're not, get it out of here, and get back on the stool.” From that day, they and I were at war. So now my enemies were my grandmother and the people at the Conservatory. I was a little Boadicea.

The biggest influence on Tori from the conservatory was observing an African American male playing Jimi Hendrix on piano and observing the mixture of rock and jazz on piano.

Age Seven
age7-1big.jpg

At age seven Tori started writing her own her own music and discovering her sexuality. It makes sense because Tori has always made the connection between rock and sexual so why not start her first glimpses after discovering Jimmy Page and the other Gods of sex, drugs and rock n' roll! Tori's love affair with rock would distract her so much though that her progress in Peabody would slip. It wasn't that she was failing or even doing bad. in fact, she was amongstthe best by far. She just reached a plateau due to losing interest through boredom with the material and the comparatively lifeless teachings. None of it had the freedom and spirit that Tori was now seeking.

Age 9
age9big.jpg

Tori, at 9 years old, reached her fourth consecutive year with a Peabody scholarship and was winning many accolades and becoming the go to piano girl for the school. Still Tori's actions still kept her as a rebellious outsider in the school. When Tori came up with this song sung in an appropriately froggy voice!

Jackass and a Toad

'cause i'm walkin' down the road
with a jackass and a toad
sometimes i'm a frog
i told him that day
i told him that day
and he quickly ran away
now i'm walking down the road

In general the school discouraged her from singing period and this really didn't impress!

Age 9 was also a sad note for Tori as the man she loved and was inspired by the most, her grandfather Calvin had died.

Here's a quote from Tori's mom Mary:

She never got over his death. He was the only person she ever completely respected. She would go to his grave three times a week and sing to him until she was thirteen.

That same year Tori's Jesus freak grandmother, Addie Amos, also died! Not quite as big of a loss!

In fact, by the time she turned 10, Tori would start questioning religion big time at this age and become very vocal. She would also start noticing the lack of balance towards feminine figures in religious figures and question this as well. All these traits and defiance in music would eventually bring Tori to her last year with Peabody. After 5 consecutive scholarships Tori would not receive a sixth and that would end the Tori/Peabody relationship!

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score

nice early day Tori stories S & S.

"The biggest influence on Tori from the conservatory was observing an African American male playing Jimi Hendrix on piano and observing the mixture of rock and jazz on piano. "
I knew she had an attachment to Jimi early on but never heard that before. Then again I've not read that much on her early years. I should.

The fourth time I saw her was at the RAINN Benefit. My girlfriend at the time said we were going to dinner and a movie. We went to dinner around the corner from the venue(Theatre at MSG). After dinner we started walking toward the venue and I tell her there is no movie theater over there. She says see has to go to the Post Office first. As we walk by she pulls out two tickets and hands one to me. I was floored didn't even know Tori was playing that nite, I had seen her a few months earlier on the Dew Drop Inn Tour. Tori was stunning that nite and was at the top of her game. ONe of my favorite shows I've ever seen her play and I've seen her over 30+ times. It was taped for lifetime although they only used a few songs.

A rare duo from that nite
Tori and Maynard from Tool-Muhammed My Friend(on the initial scan of the audience I actually see my head.

rollingstoned

Queens of the Stone Age
Reaction score

The Not So Silent Younger Years Part 2: The Peabody Years Ages 6-11

Age 7
age7big.jpg

Peabody did many things for Tori! It taught her to start reading music rather than just playing by ear! It introduced her to musicians outside of classical music like Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Jim Morrison and Jimi Hendrix. This introduction came from her classmates and put her at odds with the teachers who wanted her focus to be on classical.

Here's a Tori quote:

It was very early: the [Beatles] Sgt. Pepper record. I was five years old and studying piano at the Peabody Conservatory, and when I heard that, I knew. I knew I would never be a classical pianist; I knew from that moment it was all over. Because I brought it in for my teacher to hear, I said, “This! This is it!” And they listened and they said, “No it isn't! Get it out of here! Sit back on the stool and do Mozart again.” And I said, “No, no, no. This is Mozart if he were here now. They're the same!” And they said, “No they're not, get it out of here, and get back on the stool.” From that day, they and I were at war. So now my enemies were my grandmother and the people at the Conservatory. I was a little Boadicea.

The biggest influence on Tori from the conservatory was observing an African American male playing Jimi Hendrix on piano and observing the mixture of rock and jazz on piano.

Age Seven
age7-1big.jpg

At age seven Tori started writing her own her own music and discovering her sexuality. It makes sense because Tori has always made the connection between rock and sexual so why not start her first glimpses after discovering Jimmy Page and the other Gods of sex, drugs and rock n' roll! Tori's love affair with rock would distract her so much though that her progress in Peabody would slip. It wasn't that she was failing or even doing bad. in fact, she was amongstthe best by far. She just reached a plateau due to losing interest through boredom with the material and the comparatively lifeless teachings. None of it had the freedom and spirit that Tori was now seeking.

Age 9
age9big.jpg

Tori, at 9 years old, reached her fourth consecutive year with a Peabody scholarship and was winning many accolades and becoming the go to piano girl for the school. Still Tori's actions still kept her as a rebellious outsider in the school. When Tori came up with this song sung in an appropriately froggy voice!

Jackass and a Toad

'cause i'm walkin' down the road
sometimes i'm a frog
i told him that day
i told him that day
and he quickly ran away
now i'm walking down the road

In general the school discouraged her from singing period and this really didn't impress!

Age 9 was also a sad note for Tori as the man she loved and was inspired by the most, her grandfather Calvin had died.

Here's a quote from Tori's mom Mary:

She never got over his death. He was the only person she ever completely respected. She would go to his grave three times a week and sing to him until she was thirteen.

That same year Tori's Jesus freak grandmother, Addie Amos, also died! Not quite as big of a loss!

In fact, by the time she turned 10, Tori would start questioning religion big time at this age and become very vocal. She would also start noticing the lack of balance towards feminine figures in religious figures and question this as well. All these traits and defiance in music would eventually bring Tori to her last year with Peabody. After 5 consecutive scholarships Tori would not receive a sixth and that would end the Tori/Peabody relationship!

cool song lyrics haha

b.o.b.

Reaction score

I love Tori too :blush:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member