Top ten bands never nominated for Rock Hall of Fame

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
I don't see ELO in the top rank of influential bands at all, I can't think of one single interview I ever read where any musician said "ELO were one of my key influences". Maybe there are some somewhere, but until I read it with my own eyes, I won't believe it. To me they were more Jeff Lynne and his backing band, though they did make some great records, and they had a unique sound. Jeff Lynne though in his own right is a different matter, and he continues to be a huge key figure in music, mainly nowadays as a producer. The stuff he did with Tom Petty is some of the best music TP has ever recorded.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
And I think they have a lot less influence than you credit them for

This. SOme of those artists I've never heard of so I can't even comment. The one that stuck out at me is KISS. I'm not saying I know every single tidbit there is to know about KISS but I have ~never~ ever heard anyone in the band say anything about ELO (good, bad, influential, etc). That's not to say that ELO weren't somehow, someway, maybe had some bit of influence over the early roots of KISS, but I've never seen it (and would love to see a source if there is one). Beatles, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Alice Cooper, NY Dolls, Slade.. those bands played key roles in the shaping of KISS both as a band and with the individual members. ELO? *shrug*

And I agree with TS's sentiments. I really don't recall hardly anyone ever saying ELO was a key influence. Doesn't mean it's not true, but it's something I've never seen or noticed.

As for ELO itself, it's it kinda common knowledge that ELO = Jeff Lynne + a group of guys that he tours with? I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that I've read that Jeff plays nearly every instrument in the studio and uses the rest of the band for videos, live appearances and tours. Jeff has a ton of talent, no question. His work as a producer is also top notch from anything I've ever read about him. I just don't see him (or the 'band') as being that influential though.

:confused:

Lynch

Reaction score
And for the record, don't get me wrong, I'm not at ALL saying that ELO isn't any good. I just think that as a fan of the band, you hold them in a much higher regard than many others do. You're a huge fan, that's awesome. I just want you to undertstand that my thoughts on ELO in this thread or in this context is just my own 2 cents on the subject, not any sort of jab at you or ELO.

:)

Aero

Reaction score
This. SOme of those artists I've never heard of so I can't even comment. The one that stuck out at me is KISS. I'm not saying I know every single tidbit there is to know about KISS but I have ~never~ ever heard anyone in the band say anything about ELO (good, bad, influential, etc). That's not to say that ELO weren't somehow, someway, maybe had some bit of influence over the early roots of KISS, but I've never seen it (and would love to see a source if there is one). Beatles, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Alice Cooper, NY Dolls, Slade.. those bands played key roles in the shaping of KISS both as a band and with the individual members. ELO? *shrug*

And I agree with TS's sentiments. I really don't recall hardly anyone ever saying ELO was a key influence. Doesn't mean it's not true, but it's something I've never seen or noticed.

As for ELO itself, it's it kinda common knowledge that ELO = Jeff Lynne + a group of guys that he tours with? I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that I've read that Jeff plays nearly every instrument in the studio and uses the rest of the band for videos, live appearances and tours. Jeff has a ton of talent, no question. His work as a producer is also top notch from anything I've ever read about him. I just don't see him (or the 'band') as being that influential though.

:confused:

Does TRRHOF only accept bands who are regarded as having importance in rock music? Because I was under the impression it had more to do with album sales.

Lynch

Reaction score
Does TRRHOF only accept bands who are regarded as having importance in rock music? Because I was under the impression it had more to do with album sales.

Honestly, I have no clue what the criteria is anymore. If I'm not mistaken, the original criteria was to be based on influence on the rock era of modern music. That is why there are producers and other non-musicians in the hall.

It didn't take long before the very small committee of voters really turned it into a grandstand for their own favorite musicians and a constant snubbing of artists they either didn't care for, or snubbing of artists that told them to stick it up their ass. They have gone above and beyond the call of duty by even rejecting bands that got enough votes to get into the HOF because they felt they needed to let in someone else first ... case in point being 2006 or 2007 when Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five got in with less votes than the Dave Clark Five.

It isn't political on the front of say "national or worldwide politics", but from the aspect of the music business, it's very political and the ass kissing crowd gets their nominations over those that have told the Hall that it's a crock of crap, which it clearly is.

To answer your question, I am sure that some of the artists that are in have gotten in at least partially due to the number of albums they have sold, so I would guess that sales are part of the criteria, but certainly not the only thing they look at.

TrekkiELO

Reaction score
Well the Rock Hall consistently nominates Chic because of Nile Rodgers, Traffic got in for Steve Winwood, etc. That's how they roll, induct their famous band where it all began, without his production/songwriting as Electric Light Orchestra frontman, Jeff Lynne would have never become such a sought after producer!

Last edited:

TrekkiELO

Reaction score
And for the record, don't get me wrong, I'm not at ALL saying that ELO isn't any good. I just think that as a fan of the band, you hold them in a much higher regard than many others do. You're a huge fan, that's awesome. I just want you to undertstand that my thoughts on ELO in this thread or in this context is just my own 2 cents on the subject, not any sort of jab at you or ELO.

:)

:cheers2

Just as you and anybody else hold your favorite bands/artists in a much higher regard than many others do!

Mr. Bob Dobolina

Reaction score
Allegedly the only criteria for being considered for nomination is that it has to be 25 years since the release of the act's first record. After that it's the personal whims of the nominating committee.

Lynch

Reaction score
I don't think that has ever been the "only" criteria, but it is simply the first thing that artists have to get past to actually be eligible.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoustonBoy

Staff online

Members online