Top ten bands never nominated for Rock Hall of Fame

TrekkiELO

Reaction score
Allegedly the only criteria for being considered for nomination is that it has to be 25 years since the release of the act's first record. After that it's the personal whims of the nominating committee.

Induction Process | The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum

The Categories

Performers

Artists become eligible for induction 25 years after the release of their first record. Criteria include the influence and significance of the artists’ contributions to the development and perpetuation of rock and roll.

The Foundation’s nominating committee selects nominees each year in the Performer category. Ballots are then sent to an international voting body of more than 600 artists, historians and members of the music industry. Those performers who receive the highest number of votes - and more than 50 percent of the vote - are inducted. The Foundation generally inducts five to seven performers each year.

Ahmet Ertegun award

Songwriters, producers, disc jockeys, record executives, journalists and other industry professionals who have had a major influence on the development of rock and roll. (Please note that in 2011, the Ahmet Ertegun Award has replaced the Non Performer category.)

Early Influences

Artists whose music predated rock and roll but had an impact on the evolution of rock and roll and inspired rock’s leading artists.

The special selection committee elects the inductees in the Non-Performer and Early Influences categories.

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Award for Musical Excellence

This category was introduced in 2000. It honors those musicians, producers and others who have spent their careers out of the spotlight working with major artists on various parts of their recording and live careers. Though they often play a key role in the creation of memorable music, the public rarely knows them by name. A separate committee selects the inductees in this category. (Please note that in 2011, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Award for Musical Excellence has replaced the Sidemen category.)

TrekkiELO

Reaction score
This. SOme of those artists I've never heard of so I can't even comment. The one that stuck out at me is KISS. I'm not saying I know every single tidbit there is to know about KISS but I have ~never~ ever heard anyone in the band say anything about ELO (good, bad, influential, etc). That's not to say that ELO weren't somehow, someway, maybe had some bit of influence over the early roots of KISS, but I've never seen it (and would love to see a source if there is one). Beatles, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Alice Cooper, NY Dolls, Slade.. those bands played key roles in the shaping of KISS both as a band and with the individual members. ELO? *shrug*

And I agree with TS's sentiments. I really don't recall hardly anyone ever saying ELO was a key influence. Doesn't mean it's not true, but it's something I've never seen or noticed.

As for ELO itself, it's it kinda common knowledge that ELO = Jeff Lynne + a group of guys that he tours with? I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that I've read that Jeff plays nearly every instrument in the studio and uses the rest of the band for videos, live appearances and tours. Jeff has a ton of talent, no question. His work as a producer is also top notch from anything I've ever read about him. I just don't see him (or the 'band') as being that influential though.

:confused:

I know that I've read a Gene Simmons interview within the last 15 years or so where he talks about Electric Light Orchestra and Jeff Lynne, then Ace Frehley covered "Do Ya" solo in 1989!

Reaction score
I would like to see Frank Sinatra, Stevie Ray Vaughan And Double Trouble inducted. Also I think that some outlaw country artist should be inducted such as Willie Nelson & Waylon Jennings.

Last edited:

Frank Grimes

Runnin' down a dream
Reaction score
J. Geils Band, one of the greatest live bands of all time. Pure energy.

And I could never understand why Blondie is in the Hall and The Cars are not.

Mr. Bob Dobolina

Reaction score
I still say it's whims and the personal tastes of the committee. Why aren't The Monkees, The Moody Blues, Chicago, Badfinger, Procol Harum, The Runaways, ELO, The Raspberries, Big Star, KISS or Cheap Trick in? Why did it take so long to get Rush and Alice Cooper in? And, seriously, does Percy Sledge really deserve to be in? "When a Man Loves a Woman" is a great song, but it's one song! By that criteria, The Archies should be in for "Sugar Sugar".

Aero

Reaction score
J. Geils Band, one of the greatest live bands of all time. Pure energy.

And I could never understand why Blondie is in the Hall and The Cars are not.

Blondie was a legit band. They've had hits in multiple genres: Rock, Disco, Reggae, and Rap. What other band can make that claim?

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FernandoRu

Staff online