Top 100 rock songs of the 80's

ladyislingering

retired
Reaction score
So many good memories for me in the songs you listed! Ahh. It's like a blast from the past. :) Here are just a few I've selected that had a huge place in my childhood, and are long-standing favourites of mine:

Livin' On a Prayer - Bon Jovi
Round and Round - Ratt
You Give Love A Bad Name - Bon Jovi
Once Bitten, Twice Shy - Great White
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For - U2
Bringin' on the Heartbreak - Def Leppard
Kiss Me Deadly - Lita Ford
Jump - Van Halen
Here I Go Again - Whitesnake
Where the Streets Have No Name - U2
Pour Some Sugar on Me - Def Leppard
Runaway - Bon Jovi
Photograph - Def Leppard
Dr. Feelgood - Motley Crue
Luka - Suzanne Vega
No One Like You - The Scorpions
Talk Dirty To Me - Poison
Cry Tough - Poison
Bad Medicine - Bon Jovi
Send Me an Angel - Real Life

I played the living hell out of those tracks. Many teenage romances attached to those tunes, and little memories of days passed. So good. :grinthumb

Top 25 songs by year:

1980:
Anyway You Want It - Journey
Refugee - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

For old time's sake (and because I have nothing better to do, I'll add a little commentary to select few tunes).

"Anyway You Want It" is one of those songs that you almost have to be sedated to avoid singing in the car, when you're all alone, and nobody but you wants to hear it. It's just such a great song; I've always loved Steve Perry's vocal talent. I guarantee you'll feel a million times better after playing this song, really goddamn loud, and pretending you can sing, just because it feels that good.

"Refugee" reminds me of the time I spent in Cincinnati, and the 6 weeks that I constantly kept a Tom Petty cassette in the car. Yes, it was literally 6 weeks, or more. Once I get on something that feels that great in the summertime, I obsess or just become eternally hooked.

1981:
Bringin' on the Heartbreak - Def Leppard
Burnin' For You - Blue Oyster Cult
Rapture - Blondie

Who didn't know someone, at some point in their life, who was indeed, "Bringin' on the Heartbreak"? I can trace this song back to a certain point in my life where things would eventually become quite pointless, and inane, but meant everything to me way back when. That, and I just really love that song.

About 8 years ago I discovered the wonders of "Burnin' For You" (and Blue Oyster Cult's catchy persuasion) and for some reason I can't help but get it trapped in my head every time I go after my hair with the straightening iron.

"I'm livin' for givin' the devil his due" is still one of my most favourite lines I've ever heard. Very clever.

"Rapture" was actually the first song I actually learned all the lyrics to, in a day. I was ten years old, bored, and my musical addiction was just in its infancy. From time to time I still love to listen to this one and remember how badass it was when it was still new to me.

1982:
No One Like You - The Scorpions
Open Arms - Journey
Tainted Love - Soft Cell

I had "No One Like You" as a ringtone for the longest time. The Scorpions were without a doubt one of the greatest German bands to ever become moderately popular in the states.

"Open Arms" is a song I'll never forget - not just because of its moving content, but because I used to work with someone who was positively in love with Journey. One day he snuck up on me and started singing this, and gave me a great big hug. It was precious. :oyea:

1983:
Photograph - Def Leppard
Shout at the Devil - Motley Crue
Down Under - Men at Work
Modern Love - David Bowie
I'll Tumble For Ya - Culture Club

My favourite line from "Photograph": "I don't want your photograph/I wanna touch you!" Perfectly sums up my feelings for a handful of people I know. I played the hell out of that song as a kid, too.

"Shout at the Devil" was one of those songs I'd play just to piss my parents off, back when I wasn't such a nice girl. It's a solid song; I still dig it from time to time, but my parents used to go into fits and piss at the sound of it. Come to think of it, I played a lot of songs back in the day just for the sake of pissing my parents off.

"Down Under" was one of my ex's favourite songs of all time. Aside from that, the line about the vegemite sandwich actually reminds me of a time when I actually tried vegemite. I was mortified. That's all that needs to be said. :heheh:

My copy of Culture Club's "Kissing to be Clever" LP is in near-mint condition, with the exception of "I'll Tumble 4 Ya" - because I've played it about 300 times more than the other tracks on the record. If you're an 80s fan, and you don't love this song, there's something wrong with you. :D

1984:
Runaway - Bon Jovi
Drive - The Cars

I was introduced to "Runaway" when I was a kid sorting through some of my aunt's old cassettes. I must have played the living hell out of Bon Jovi's self-titled album in such a format, because I actually went out and bought a replacement cassette. Since "Runaway" was the first track on the cassette, it was accessible - and my rewind button had never seen more abuse.

I might always have visions of Paulina Porizkova going into hysterics whenever I hear "Drive". That video still gives me a shiver, and the song hasn't really brought a tear to my eye in years, but it always seems to be relevant to my existence no matter when I listen to it. I've been a fan of the Cars ever since I was a little girl (maybe 4, 5 years old) so I've heard this one a few thousand times, though it's still fresh and pleasant.

1985:
You Spin Me Round (Like a Record) - Dead or Alive
Take on Me - a-ha

When I was very young I had the biggest crush ever on a friend of mine who was positively obsessed with "You Spin Me Round (Like a Record)". It was the song he'd play whenever I was around, because he knew I loved the new-wave sound, and because he thought he was hot shit anyway. From time to time I still listen to this track, and it takes me right back to more innocent days. :)

"Take On Me" was when I learned that I deeply enjoyed singing falsetto. These days I think the video is a lot more impressive than the song, but happy times are definitely attached to this A-Ha track.

1986:
You Give Love A Bad Name - Bon Jovi
West End Girls - Pet Shop Boys

I was quite a Bon Jovi fan as a kid; at the time there wasn't much deeper than "You Give Love a Bad Name". I still love the line "you paint your smile on your lips/blood red nails on your fingertips/a screwball's dream/you act so shy/your very first kiss was your first kiss goodbye". Reminds me of the little hellion I was back in the day.

Also, is there anything much cooler than "West End Girls"? It's one of my most favourite tunes from the 80s, period. The Pet Shop Boys usually don't do it for me, but the way the lyrics flow in "West End Girls" is enough to have kept my attention for the past 10 years.

1987:
I Want Action - Poison

Back to the days when the Lady was a little harlot, with this song. It reminds me of a night when I actually crawled out the window at 2AM to meet up with a boy I knew from school. To this day I don't think I've ever told too many people about that one - everyone at school knew anyway!

1988:
Bad Medicine - Bon Jovi

I've always loved the clever lyrics to this song. "I get a jolt from your affection like a monkey on my back!" Simply awesome, hahaha.

1989:
Dr. Feelgood - Motley Crue

Back to my hair metal days with this one - another one I used to play just to piss my parents off. I think I had the "Dr. Feelgood" album in a couple different formats, and probably still do. It's just a cheesy masterpiece with many nice memories attached to it.

Still on-topic. We should do a series of 80s "strips"! I've also recently been thinking of ranking my top 200 tunes from the 80s but it looks so daunting that it might not get done very soon.

Did you write this one out?

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
She's gone Poof for the night Lady.

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
I can't stand it anymore. Yes, I can appreciate the work that Magic put into compiling these lists since it was clearly a lot. But I don't subscribe to this notion that if you can't say anything nice, then say nothing at all - and overall her lists make me cringe.

In general, why are her lists so completely dominated by thrash/hair metal? If that's all the eighties had to offer, it's no wonder that so many music critics say the decade was a wasteland.

Specifically, I see lots of track by bands that make me shudder such as Van Halen, U2, Queen, Culture Club and Guns 'n Roses, but I see not a single Rolling Stones' track.

:wtf:

Where for example are these Stones' tunes:

Start Me Up

She's So Cold

Harlem Shuffle

One Hit to the Body

Mixed Emotions

Almost Hear You Sigh

Oh, and if you want me to suggest a diversified list of tracks Magic has not included by eighties artists other than the Rolling Stones, here are a few more:

The Night - Animals

Rock Lobster - B52s

Tarzan Boy - Baltimora

Paris Latino - Bandolero

People Get Ready - Jeff Beck

We Belong - Pat Benatar

Cat People (Putting Out Fire) - David Bowie

Living in America - James Brown

Drive - Cars

Copperhead Road - Steve Earle

I Want to Know What Love Is - Foreigner

Relax - Frankie Goes to Hollywood

Mama - Genesis

I Drink Alone - George Thorogood & the Destroyers

Pretty Bad Boy - Goddo

A Criminal Mind - Gowan

Mustang Sally - Buddy Guy

Innocence - Harlequin

New Girl Now - Honeymoon Suite

Wicked Game - Chris Isaak

Suicide Blonde - INXS

Super Freak (Part 1) - Rick James

Centerfold - J. Geils Band

Switchin' to Glide - Kings

Don't Forget to Dance - Kinks

Fresh - Kool & Gang

Turn Me Loose - Loverboy

Like a Prayer - Madonna

My My, Hey Hey (Out of the Blue) - Neil Young & Crazy Horse

Cars - Gary Numan

Addicted to Love - Robert Palmer

He's So Shy - Pointer Sisters

Purple Rain - Prince

Right Down the Line - Gerry Rafferty

Losing My Religion - R.E.M.

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark - Robert Cray Band

Upside Down - Diana Ross

Avalon - Roxy Music

State of Independence - Donna Summer

Infatuation - Rod Stewart

Psycho Killer - Talking Heads

Jungle Love - Time

Genius of Love - Tom Tom Club

Tweeter and the Monkey Man - Travelling Wilburys

Turning Japanese - Vapors

Granted, my list isn't so diversified as to include bands with singers as annoying as those fronting AC/DC and Rush....

:drums:

Last edited:

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score
I loved the 80's.

I hope Dairenn sees these lists :)

Oh, but not me? Fine, be that way.

But seriously, whose list is that? Yours? Rolling Stones? Local or online radio station? Just curious. Lots of good songs listed, but a couple stand out as being from different years. Ex: Rush's "Closer To The Heart" is from 1977 not 1982. Well, it's also on their live album Exit... Stage Left, but even that was 1981. What's the deal? Should I just not have said anything at all? :heheh:

"If you go out and buy a Van Halen record and put it in your collection, it'll melt all your other records." David Lee Roth, 1981.

TheFeldster

Mr Kite
Reaction score
Both Magic's and Foxhound's lists are full of classics :tup:

The 80's get a bad rap, but there's plenty there if you push away George Michael :heheh:

It's lacking Kenny Loggins, though, that guy rocks :grinthumb

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Both Magic's and Foxhound's lists are full of classics :tup:

The 80's get a bad rap, but there's plenty there if you push away George Michael :heheh:

It's lacking Kenny Loggins, though, that guy rocks :grinthumb

I thought George Micheal had some great stuff! :grinthumb

Oh and I'm fine with not agreeing with everyone's list but I don't get why anyone would care what someone else has for a personal recollection of what tracks made the best of the decade for them. While anyone can list off alternative lists and songs I think Ladies personal recollections validates list more than anything against it. Songs to me are measured by people's connections to them and I'm sold. I'd actually love to see Magic do the same with her own list! That's what I like to see in threads! List are so calculated and removed. I want to know why somebody likes something even if the list they make is far from my own! Actually I couldn't give two shits if someone's list for anything didn't have a single artist on it I like! It'd be retarded to have almost all list be the same kind of like having the top five all time bands be Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, The Doors and Black Sabbath for everybody! That predictability or uniformity that people seem to crave isn't for me! :grinthumb

Flower

retired
Reaction score
My 80's ...

Call Me - Blondie

Celebration - Kool & The Gang

Fame - Irene Cara

The Tide Is High - Blondie

26 Just the Two of Us - Grover Washington Jr. with Bill Withers

Give Me the Night - George Benson

Misunderstanding - Genesis

Turn It On Again - Genesis