Top 10 Drummers

ecisgod

Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynch
Also quite a few overrated guys that were simply in big bands or just in the right place at the right time.

Ringo wasn`t lucky. Ringo was the drummer for Rory Storm + The Hurricanes which was the biggest band of the Liverpool Merseybeat scene before The Beatles. Ringo had Starr-Time in which he sang solo songs like he did in The Beatles. He already made a name for himself before joining The Beatles.

To quote Paul McCartney in the Anthology`on replacing Pete Best with Ringo Starr, "We knew we needed `The Great Drummer in Liverpool`".

To quote Paul McCartney in his Larry King 2007 Interview, ""We loved him. And we just thought he was the very best drummer we'd ever seen. And we wanted him in the group. We were big fans of his."

To quote Mike McCartney, "There were quite a few drummers around Liverpool and I used to go home and tell Paul about Ringo. I often saw him play with Rory Storm. ...With Rory he was a very inventive drummer. He goes around the drums like crazy. He doesn't just hit them -- he invents sounds." (1983 interview for The Beatles: A Celebration by Geoffrey Guilliano, 1992) `

To quote John Lennon in his 1980 Playboy Interview, "Ringo was a star in his own right in Liverpool before we even met. He was a professional drummer who sang and performed and had Ringo Star-time and he was in one of the top groups in Britain but especially in Liverpool before we even had a drummer. So Ringo's talent would have come out one way or the other as something or other."

To quote Klaus Voormann (in an interview by Gary James) about Ringo during Rory Storm + The Hurricanes, "He was a fantastic drummer. Really incredible."

To quote Voormann again, "He (Pete Best) was doing OK, but if you compare it to Ringo, he just did not have that swing. He just did not have that rock. He just didn't."

That a boy Beatlesfan !! Ringo was a great drummer - we like to call him the "Human Mentronome". Unfortunately or not unfortunately he was in a band with Harrison,Lennon and McCartney and being constantly compared to them - good luck !

My top 10 (in no particular order)

1. Ringo Starr
2. Neil Peart
3. Keith Moon
4. Roger Taylor
5. Steve Gorman
6. Buddy Rich
7. John Bonham
8. Levon Helm
9. Dave Grohl
10. Ginger Baker

BeatlesFan

Reaction score
That a boy Beatlesfan !! Ringo was a great drummer - we like to call him the "Human Mentronome". Unfortunately or not unfortunately he was in a band with Harrison,Lennon and McCartney and being constantly compared to them - good luck !

My top 10 (in no particular order)

1. Ringo Starr
2. Neil Peart
3. Keith Moon
4. Roger Taylor
5. Steve Gorman
6. Buddy Rich
7. John Bonham
8. Levon Helm
9. Dave Grohl
10. Ginger Baker

If you watch old performances with The Beatles like this video, you'll see that he was equally as captivating on stage as the other three. The Beatles were lucky to meet Ringo because his unique style drumming became such a signature part of their music, and his personality/chemistry with the other three worked so well. I can't imagine The Beatles without John, Paul, George or Ringo.

The Beatles

retired
Reaction score
Honestly all of the people who claim to hate Ringo know nothing about drumming./

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Honestly all of the people who claim to hate Ringo know nothing about drumming./

Honestly, all of the people who can take a group of people and consider their knowledge of drumming invalid just from one commonly shared opinion knows nothing about people. (My oh my aren't bold claims that lack any factual evidence fun?)

Reaction score
Keith Moon - The Who
John Bonham - Led Zeppelin
Ginger Baker - Cream
Bill Ward - Black Sabbath
Charlie Watts - Rolling Stones
Neil Peart - Rush
Michael Giles - King Crimson
Buddy Rich
Danny Carey - Tool

Not many more come to mind.

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
I'd say Rino is quite a bit better than just average. Compared to the universe of drummers for any professional, i.e. paid band, he's way better than average. Compared to the universe of drummers whose bands have ever made the Billboard or the U.K. charts, he's still quite a bit better than average.

After all Paul McCartney, who could have worked with just about any drummer he wanted (except for the few who found him totally insufferable of course :D), preferred to work with Ringo.

:drums:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online