Nicko McBrain
Simon Phillips
Jeff Porcaro

... hmmm, that's 11, right?

EDIT: Oh right, just saw CH's list - how could I forget

Roger Taylor!

EDIT #2: And honourable mention to

Rick Allen

Probably the biggest talent of his generation.

Džedaj

Groovy as hell.
Reaction score
John Bonham is unbeatable. Master of drumming :D
Nick Mason
Keith Moon
Ian Paice
John Densmore
Mitch Mitchell
Charlie Watts
Ginger Baker
Neil Peart
Bill Kreutzmann

Last edited:

BeatlesFan

Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynch
Also quite a few overrated guys that were simply in big bands or just in the right place at the right time.

Ringo wasn`t lucky. Ringo was the drummer for Rory Storm + The Hurricanes which was the biggest band of the Liverpool Merseybeat scene before The Beatles. Ringo had Starr-Time in which he sang solo songs like he did in The Beatles. He already made a name for himself before joining The Beatles.

To quote Paul McCartney in the Anthology`on replacing Pete Best with Ringo Starr, "We knew we needed `The Great Drummer in Liverpool`".

To quote Paul McCartney in his Larry King 2007 Interview, ""We loved him. And we just thought he was the very best drummer we'd ever seen. And we wanted him in the group. We were big fans of his."

To quote Mike McCartney, "There were quite a few drummers around Liverpool and I used to go home and tell Paul about Ringo. I often saw him play with Rory Storm. ...With Rory he was a very inventive drummer. He goes around the drums like crazy. He doesn't just hit them -- he invents sounds." (1983 interview for The Beatles: A Celebration by Geoffrey Guilliano, 1992) `

To quote John Lennon in his 1980 Playboy Interview, "Ringo was a star in his own right in Liverpool before we even met. He was a professional drummer who sang and performed and had Ringo Star-time and he was in one of the top groups in Britain but especially in Liverpool before we even had a drummer. So Ringo's talent would have come out one way or the other as something or other."

To quote Klaus Voormann (in an interview by Gary James) about Ringo during Rory Storm + The Hurricanes, "He was a fantastic drummer. Really incredible."

To quote Voormann again, "He (Pete Best) was doing OK, but if you compare it to Ringo, he just did not have that swing. He just did not have that rock. He just didn't."

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Quick question: In quoting all of those opinions is your goal to change my opinion on Ringo, BeatlesFan?

architect

Supine In The Sunshine
Reaction score
Don't diss Ringo, he was the steady backbeat of the Beatles.

Others I like are,

Neil Peart
Keith Moon
Nick Mason
Ginger Baker
Charlie Watts
Phil Collins
Mick Fleetwood

BeatlesFan

Reaction score
Quick question: In quoting all of those opinions is your goal to change my opinion on Ringo, BeatlesFan?

No, I'm not trying to change your opinion. Sorry but I always get annoyed when others say he was lucky, when that's far from true. How is he lucky if he was chosen because he was known as the best drummer in Liverpool and in one of the top groups that topped the bill over The Beatles? How was he lucky if he had the perfect chemistry with John, Paul, and George? If anything The Beatles were lucky to meet him in 1960, when he first played for them (first of many times when Pete Best was absent) before joining The Beatles.

BTW, check out this old poster with Rory Storm + The Hurricanes and The Beatles.

kaiserkeller_poster60.jpg

Last edited:

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score
In alphabetical order:

Carmine Appice
Ginger Baker
Terry Bozzio
John Densmore
Aynsley Dunbar
Corky Laing