Top 10 90's Albums

Goofball

Banned
Reaction score
What are your top 10 90's (rock/pop/metal) albums? Here's mine:

1. Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble - The Sky Is Crying
2. Green Day - Dookie
3. Oasis - (What's The Story) Morning Glory?
4. Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Into The Great Wide Open
5. Pearl Jam - Ten
6. Nirvana - Nevermind
7. Metallica - Metallica
8. Tom Petty - Wildflowers
9. Green Day - ******
10. Third Eye Blind - Third Eye Blind
*subject to change

Last edited:

Hydrazoic Acid

Skeptic
Reaction score
1. Queen - Innuendo
2. Scorpions - Pure Instinct
3. Bad Company - Holy Water
4. Slaughter - Back To Reality
5. UFO - Walk On Water
6. Europe - Prisoners In Paradise
7. Thunder - Back Street Symphony
8. Tony Martin - Back Where I Belong
9. Mark Free - Long Way from Love
10. AC/DC - Ballbreaker

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
No real order here ...

No Quarter ... Page & Plant
Fresh Evidence ... Rory Gallagher
Painkiller ... Judas Priest
The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion ... The Black Crowes
Fear Of The Dark ... Iron Maiden
From The Cradle ... Eric Clapton
Test For Echo ... Rush
1916 ... Motorhead
Roots To Branches ... Jethro Tull
Lie To Me ... Jonny Lang

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
For lists like these I like to only like to pick one entry for each artist. It keeps things varied and more interesting I think...

1. Metropolis Part II: Scenes From A Memory- Dream Theater
m_Theater_-_Metropolis_Pt._2-_Scenes_from_a_Memory.jpg
Hands down one of my favorite albums. A triumph for progressive music, metal music, and the perfect mixture of skill, style, substance, and story.

2. The Bends- Radiohead
110.jpg
If Radiohead had put out more albums akin to "The Bends" they would be one of my favorite bands. Reckless angst, acoustic and electric blends, a healthy respect for noise, and chaotic guitar playing all meet in an album with some genuine magic in it.

3. Different Class- Pulp
220px-Pulp_-_Different_Class.png
"Different Class" is like the "Sgt. Pepper" of indie music and with it's flag ship "Common People" it ironically harpoons the hipsters who listen to the music it ultimately inspired. Wildly different compositions and Jarvis' always witty, snarky, and relatable lyrics make this one of the deepest records that is still very fun.

4. The Living End- The Living End
220px-Living_end.jpg
The Stray Cats crash headfirst into Green Day circa "Dookie" era and produce one of my all time favorite punk bands and albums. This album it like attaching a nuclear battery to Johnny Ramone's guitar is letting loose on the word never ending energy. While most punk bands have very limited musicianship the Living End all all very accomplished on their respective instruments and play fast, masterfully, and most importantly for me....with melody.

5. Whatever and Ever, Amen- Ben Folds Five
220px-WhateverAndEverAmenRemastereed.jpg
Drums, piano, and bass together produce what? Punk rock for sissies as coined by Mr. Folds himself. This jazz based ensemble of instruments alone is something to be skeptical of but when fuzzy bass met Billy Joel inspired songwriting and teenage smart ass-isms it produced one of the 90's most melodic, fun, and wonderful albums.

6. Grace- Jeff Buckley
Jeff_Buckley_grace.jpg
I'm not sure there is much left to say about Jeff Buckley's only true album. It's been picked to the bone in the years since his passing but to keep it short and sweet this is one of the most beautiful marriages of tenderness and heaviness to ever exist.

7. Rage Against The Machine- Rage Against The Machine
220px-RageAgainsttheMachineRageAgainsttheMachine.jpg
I know people around here hate nu metal but that is not a genre that Rage is in. Rock and rap only existed to a wide audience in sparse collaborations before RATM's first album came out and this album added lyrical meaning that the genre had never had before and has yet to have since. With super focused aggression and highly political lyrics Rage's self titled album had a message to few albums fail to match.

8. Mule Variations- Tom Waits
220px-TomWaits-MuleVariations.jpg
Every Tom Waits album is a very unique trip for the listener but "Mule Variation" is easily one of my favorite. It's like 16 tales of dusty, ol' Oklahoma... only far seedier. Songs like "Filipinion Box Spring Hog" and "Take It With Me" have no business being in the same zip code as each other, much less back to back on the same album. Also, as harsh as Tom vocals are (as if they ever aren't) on "Come On Up To The House" I think it's one of his very best vocals performances.

9. Ritual de lo Habitual- Jane's Addiction
220px-Jane's_Addiction-Ritual_de_lo_Habitual.jpg
I love Jane's Addiction. I really really do. There is simply nothing that sound ever close to them and this is my favorite of their albums. Dave Navarro's mixture of soft electric playing and screaming riffs and solos (which came out years before Nirvana popularized the drastic dynamic switch), Perry Farrell's double track, unmistakable vocals. the powerful and skillful rhythm section of Eric Avery and Stephen Perkins. There is just something so completely unique about what Jane's Addiction does and put out on this album. The first half being raw, rocking songs and the second half being very experimental and progressive. It's a very fascinating blend.

10. Automatic For The People- R.E.M.
220px-R.E.M._-_Automatic_for_the_People.jpg
R.E.M. is one of the greatest champions of alternative music but I feel like they always wrestled with combining all of their assets. Melody, message, feeling, versatility, adoration, and of course the music all came together on one album in a way that R.E.M. has never done since and only came close to once (with "Green").

Honorable Hidden Gem: So Much For The Afterglow- Everclear
Everclear_So_Much_for_the_Afterglow.jpg
I've always had a soft spot for Everclear. They have the melody of the Beach Boys but grunge attitude and angst that has always been a pleasant combination to me. Unlike "Nevermind" which, aside from "Lithium" I always say as camouflaged pop sensibility, Everclear isn't afraid to be upfront with their melody without being all THAT poppy and still having good, reasonably pissed off and sad lyrics.

P.S. I didn't not plan for this to be quite as.....large as it ended up being. I got carried away...:peek

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
1-"Streets:A Rock Opera"-Savatage
2-"Blood On The Bricks"-Aldo Nova
3-"Attitude"-April Wine
4-"Revenge"-KISS
5-"Woke Up With A Monster"-Cheap Trick
6-"Vault"-Def Leppard
7-"Voodoo Lounge"-Rolling Stones
8-"Busted"-Cheap Trick
9-"Hey Stoopid"-Alice Cooper
10-"Balance"-Van Halen

Abraxas

Reaction score
In no part. order:

THRAK - King Crimson
Purple - Stone Temple Pilots
Under The Pink - Tori Amos
The Soft Bulletin - The Flaming Lips
Under The Table & Dreaming - DMB
Before These Crowded Streets - DMB
Transmissions From The Satellite Heart - The Flaming Lips
OK Computer - Radiohead
Little Earthquakes - Tori Amos
Mellon Collie & The Infinite Sadness - Smashing Pumpkins

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
For lists like these I like to only like to pick one entry for each artist. It keeps things varied and more interesting I think...

1. Metropolis Part II: Scenes From A Memory- Dream Theater
m_Theater_-_Metropolis_Pt._2-_Scenes_from_a_Memory.jpg
Hands down one of my favorite albums. A triumph for progressive music, metal music, and the perfect mixture of skill, style, substance, and story.

2. The Bends- Radiohead
110.jpg
If Radiohead had put out more albums akin to "The Bends" they would be one of my favorite bands. Reckless angst, acoustic and electric blends, a healthy respect for noise, and chaotic guitar playing all meet in an album with some genuine magic in it.

3. Different Class- Pulp
220px-Pulp_-_Different_Class.png
"Different Class" is like the "Sgt. Pepper" of indie music and with it's flag ship "Common People" it ironically harpoons the hipsters who listen to the music it ultimately inspired. Wildly different compositions and Jarvis' always witty, snarky, and relatable lyrics make this one of the deepest records that is still very fun.

4. The Living End- The Living End
220px-Living_end.jpg
The Stray Cats crash headfirst into Green Day circa "Dookie" era and produce one of my all time favorite punk bands and albums. This album it like attaching a nuclear battery to Johnny Ramone's guitar is letting loose on the word never ending energy. While most punk bands have very limited musicianship the Living End all all very accomplished on their respective instruments and play fast, masterfully, and most importantly for me....with melody.

5. Whatever and Ever, Amen- Ben Folds Five
220px-WhateverAndEverAmenRemastereed.jpg
Drums, piano, and bass together produce what? Punk rock for sissies as coined by Mr. Folds himself. This jazz based ensemble of instruments alone is something to be skeptical of but when fuzzy bass met Billy Joel inspired songwriting and teenage smart ass-isms it produced one of the 90's most melodic, fun, and wonderful albums.

6. Grace- Jeff Buckley
Jeff_Buckley_grace.jpg
I'm not sure there is much left to say about Jeff Buckley's only true album. It's been picked to the bone in the years since his passing but to keep it short and sweet this is one of the most beautiful marriages of tenderness and heaviness to ever exist.

7. Rage Against The Machine- Rage Against The Machine
220px-RageAgainsttheMachineRageAgainsttheMachine.jpg
I know people around here hate nu metal but that is not a genre that Rage is in. Rock and rap only existed to a wide audience in sparse collaborations before RATM's first album came out and this album added lyrical meaning that the genre had never had before and has yet to have since. With super focused aggression and highly political lyrics Rage's self titled album had a message to few albums fail to match.

8. Mule Variations- Tom Waits
220px-TomWaits-MuleVariations.jpg
Every Tom Waits album is a very unique trip for the listener but "Mule Variation" is easily one of my favorite. It's like 16 tales of dusty, ol' Oklahoma... only far seedier. Songs like "Filipinion Box Spring Hog" and "Take It With Me" have no business being in the same zip code as each other, much less back to back on the same album. Also, as harsh as Tom vocals are (as if they ever aren't) on "Come On Up To The House" I think it's one of his very best vocals performances.

9. Ritual de lo Habitual- Jane's Addiction
220px-Jane's_Addiction-Ritual_de_lo_Habitual.jpg
I love Jane's Addiction. I really really do. There is simply nothing that sound ever close to them and this is my favorite of their albums. Dave Navarro's mixture of soft electric playing and screaming riffs and solos (which came out years before Nirvana popularized the drastic dynamic switch), Perry Farrell's double track, unmistakable vocals. the powerful and skillful rhythm section of Eric Avery and Stephen Perkins. There is just something so completely unique about what Jane's Addiction does and put out on this album. The first half being raw, rocking songs and the second half being very experimental and progressive. It's a very fascinating blend.

10. Automatic For The People- R.E.M.
220px-R.E.M._-_Automatic_for_the_People.jpg
R.E.M. is one of the greatest champions of alternative music but I feel like they always wrestled with combining all of their assets. Melody, message, feeling, versatility, adoration, and of course the music all came together on one album in a way that R.E.M. has never done since and only came close to once (with "Green").

Honorable Hidden Gem: So Much For The Afterglow- Everclear
Everclear_So_Much_for_the_Afterglow.jpg
I've always had a soft spot for Everclear. They have the melody of the Beach Boys but grunge attitude and angst that has always been a pleasant combination to me. Unlike "Nevermind" which, aside from "Lithium" I always say as camouflaged pop sensibility, Everclear isn't afraid to be upfront with their melody without being all THAT poppy and still having good, reasonably pissed off and sad lyrics.

P.S. I didn't not plan for this to be quite as.....large as it ended up being. I got carried away...:peek

I see someone's Muse was speaking to them...:heheh:

That's a very well thought out list Cosmic, nice to see DT on top a fantastic album.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
So it would be. :heheh:

And it really is a diamond of an album. As time passes my favorite albums become less definite but "Scenes from a Memory" will always have a permanent spot very very close to the top. :grinthumb

Reaction score
Green Day - Dookie
Type O Negative - Bloody Kisses
Metallica - Metallica
Alice In Chains - Dirt
Green Day - ******
Pearl Jam - Ten
Nirvana - Nevermind
ZZ Top - Rhythmeen
Third Eye Blind - Third Eye Blind
Rob Zombie - Hellbilly Deluxe: 13 Tales Of Cadaverous Cavorting Inside The Spookshow International

Last edited:

ecisgod

Reaction score
In no particular order:

1. Oasis - What's the story morning glory
2. Eric Clapton - Unplugged
3. Pearl Jam - Vitalogy
4. Black Crowes - Amorica
5. Black Crowes - Southern Harmony and Musical Companion
6. Tragically Hip - Fully Completely
7. Tragically Hip - Day for Night
8. Tom Petty - Into the Great Wide Open