Tom Petty (Official Thread)

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
For all you Petty Heads...I did the best I could replacing videos and cleaning up in here. So you should enjoy yourself in here a bit more since the bump. Go 'head and keep rockin' the Petty thread!!

:grinthumb

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
I always felt Petty was a perfect voice for the common man.His material is down to earth and NEVER pretentious,an artistic taboo that has plagued even Paul McCartney.Also an attribute of his that inspired 1976's "Silly Love Songs",Billboard magazines number one single of that year."What's wrong with that,I'd like to know..."

galens

Fiddling with the Dials
Reaction score
Mudcrutch "Depot Street"

I engineered Tom and Mudcrutch on their first album and single "Depot Street/Wild Eyes" which was done at Producers Workshop in Hollywood and Village Recorders in Santa Monica. We later did recordings at Leon Russell's house in Encino, I had to stop working with Tom later on that year due to my schedule on Ringo's first two albums with John Lennon.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
35 Years Ago: Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers Release ‘You’re Gonna Get It!’ Album

pettyoure.jpg

SOURCE LINK

A year and a half after Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers’ self-titled debut album fooled some music fans into thinking that the Los Angeles-based classic rockers were maybe a New Wave act, the quintet doubled down. ‘You’re Gonna Get It!,’ which was released on May 2, 1978, loaded up on Byrdsian jingle-jangle, classic-rock guitar crunch and a few meathead riff-based songs that made it clear that Petty and his band had little in common with the skinny-tie kids and their synthesizers.

Unlike 1976’s ‘Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers,’ ‘You’re Gonna Get It!’ comes off as a straightforward rock ‘n’ roll album with few detours (except for those that turn back to the ‘60s). But where the debut bristled with new-band energy, the follow-up LP lags at times, barreling through some of its songs with a workmanlike thud. The heavy touring that accompanied the first album started to take its toll on the band, especially Petty who penned 10 songs that couldn’t quite keep up with the best of the debut. Essentially, ‘You’re Gonna Get It!’ doesn’t get much breathing space.

Still, the band had generated enough buzz from its debut to fuel much of the second album’s drive. The record – which was originally titled ‘Terminal Romance’ – was recorded in Hollywood through 1977 and early 1978. Fresh off the road, the group sounds tough and hard on ‘You’re Gonna Get It!’ Their playing, song for song, is even better than on the debut; it’s the songs that bring them down. Only the singles ‘I Need to Know’ and ‘Listen to Her Heart’ manage much identity among the somewhat faceless rockers.

‘You’re Gonna Get It!’ still ended up reaching No. 23 – a better showing than ‘Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers’’ No. 55 peak. Neither single made it to the Top 40, but ‘I Need to Know’ almost did, stopping at No. 41. The album went gold, the band went back on tour and they came out swinging on 1979’s ‘Damn the Torpedoes,’ their masterpiece. And in a way, they needed to make ‘You’re Gonna Get It!’ to get there. You can thank or blame second-album nerves, or deadlines, or even the usual sophomore slump.

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
Fantastic post/review there MP....now only 3 weeks to my Tom Petty gig at the Beacon Theatre here in NY, going to be the highlight of my year musically for sure.

You're Gonna Get It is just a great album, for me every bit as good as the debut album, my favourite track is 'Hurt'....

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
Saw Tom and the band on Monday back in NY before we came on our trip, pretty incredible show, the set list was spot on and they never sounded better, straight onto my best gigs of the past few years list. Don't have time to write a review as such, if you get a chance, go and see them is all I can say.

CurtRHCP

Reaction score
I remember well the first time I heard a Tom Petty song. (I certainly heard one before but I don't remember).

I was 14 or 15 playing GTA San Andreas on the PS2 ah ah ^^
Running Down A Dream

Then I listen to their other songs, and I appreciated them!

I remember too the "polemic" with the Chili Peppers plagiarism, Dani California (from Stadium Arcadium) sounds like Mary Jane's Last Dance.
Mary Jane's Last Dance is really better than Dani California, so sometimes you are influenced, even unconsciously, the music is stuck in your head, but it's not because you pick up this, that the result will be good too ^^

I like also what I saw of Tom Petty's interviews. He looks simple, nice, well he doens't have a big head.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Tom Petty's show was shut down a couple nights ago at the Fonda Theatre in Los Angeles.....fire marshall stuff due to overcrowding.

That had to stink for the fans.

Stripwalk

All Things Must Pass...
Reaction score
I saw Tom in 2010, when he came to Vancouver. It was the first time I had seen him live. I was so excited to see him. He sings so many of my favorite songs. But...... unfortunately he neglected to play the songs I grew up listening to. I understand that he was promoting his new album, but I didn't really know any of his new songs. I couldn't sing along. Out of 19 songs, I knew 11. I'm not saying it was bad, he is an incredible singer and musician. He put on a great show, but I kept waiting for those songs that move me, and they never came.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Hey, all due respect, being familiar with 11 songs is a generous number of songs to know. The guy's released 16 studio albums! Tom Petty is pretty much the guy in the whole industry who plays Greatest Hits shows, if his set wasn't satisfactory to you I hate to say it but I don't think you'll ever be satisfied by a concert you see by a veteran artist. He only did 5 songs from his new album, and Mojo was really popular -- I think it was like #2 on the charts. So it makes sense he would play some of it. At least the album was already available -- a lot of artists play their new albums in full, before anyone's even heard it.

I saw him in 2010 and the Mojo songs were pretty much the only part I enjoyed, since he was playing mostly the same old hits he had the other 3 times I had seen him.

But we've had a nice little gap here and now I am UBER pumped to be seeing him for the fifth time next week!! I've heard he's pulling out some really great deep cuts this year so I'm just doing flips out of excitement over here.

Just finished uploading all my errant Petty records onto my computer and now I'm building some playlists to pump me up. Starting off with 3 categories: Classic Best (all my old favorites), Best Live (out of all his live albums), and Deepest Cuts (all the best lost gems).

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online