Tim "Ripper" Owens

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
biglogo101.jpg

Official Website

With Brainicide

(Compilation) Heavy Artillery k7 (1990) (Song: "Payment in Blood")
Brutal Mentality K7 Demo (1990)

With Winter's Bane

Heart of a Killer (1993)

With Judas Priest

Jugulator (1997)
'98 Live Meltdown (live album, 1998)
Demolition (2001)
Live in London (live album and DVD, 2003)
Metalogy 2004

With Iced Earth

The Glorious Burden (2004)
Overture of the Wicked (2007)
Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Part 1) (2007)
Live at Wacken 2007 (V.A., 2 live-songs, 2008)
Festivals of the Wicked (DVD, 2011)

With Beyond Fear

Beyond Fear (2006)

With Yngwie Malmsteen's Rising Force
Perpetual Flame (2008)
Relentless (2010)

Solo

Play My Game (2009)

With Charred

Walls of the DamnedCharred Walls of the Damned (2010)
Cold Winds on Timeless Days (2011)

Getting noticed from a video fronting a Judas Priest tribute band, Akron, Ohio's Tim Ripper Owens replaced the mighty Rob Halford for two studio and two live albums in Judas Priest. Since then he has been the lead vocalist for Iced Earth (two albums) and now Yngwie Malmsteen (on his second album).

tim-ripper-owens-200-060109.jpg

Tim has also recorded a couple CD's with his band Beyond Fear and his solo album Play My Game where we get to hear his writing style as well as the singing.

With all of the cool and interesting stuff he has done, I thought it would be cool to give this metal underdog his own thread and a bit of love

Scream Machine (With Beyond Fear)

The Reckoning (With Iced earth)

Ripper.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I liked both his albums with Judas Priest. Wasnt the same as Halford obviously but I thought did a decent job. Need to listen to his current stuff.

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
I thought he was pretty good in Judas Priest. His first Beyond Fear album was also enjoyable. Never heard anything he did with Iced Earth or Malmsteen.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
I liked both his albums with Judas Priest. Wasnt the same as Halford obviously but I thought did a decent job. Need to listen to his current stuff.
Same, I liked both of the studio and both of the live albums he did with Judas Priest. One thing I didn't like about the live albums though, they played really slow on some tunes. I saw JP live back in 2007 or 2008 (the Nostrodamus tour) and they didn't do anything slow like that, so I'm not sure why they did on both of the live Ripper albums. :confused:

I have heard some of the stuff he did with Iced Earth and thought it was good.... but I lost some respect for him when I read something a year or two ago that he regrets ever joining JP and said he wished he never did it. Not sure if it's sour grapes that he got booted when Rob decided to come back, or if his time in JP was just that miserable.

But I got news for you Tim, chances of ANY of us knowing who the hell you are if you had not been asked to join JP are slim to less than none. You should simply be thankful you got a chance at the limelight and have gotten other work because of it. Maybe you would have caught a break elsewhere, maybe not. We'll never know. But I just thought it was a shitty comment.

Admittedly, being a longtime JP fan may sway my thoughts on the whole thing just a tad

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The comparisons to Halford may have got to him at the time since he filled massive shoes.

E-Z

Reaction score
I always thought that he done a great job and i like those albums that he sings on infact when i heard that they were going to sack Ripper and bring back Halford i personally thought that it was a 'backwards step' and i even recall that KK wasn't to happy with Halford coming back into the band either and had to be persuaded by i presume Tipton & Hill??.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
They had to bring Halford back. I liked Owens albums but JP definitely needed Halford back. The albums after his return were both superior to the Owens stuff in my opinion. Judas Priest just was not the same band without him.
I need to check out Owens other work, I have some Iced Earth but not sure if I have the material he is on.

E-Z

Reaction score
Yeah i believe you are correct they did have to bring back Halford now that you mention it but i'm sure that KK wasn't to pleased about it if i recall correctly?.

I don't think that KK & Halford were hitting it off by then and it was Tipton & Hill that probably wanted Halford back in the band more so then KK did??.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Some great songs done with Ripper Owens. :D
Dead Meat.

Bloodsuckers.

Is it just me or did the Jugulator album have a slight doomy tinge to it??

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tayson ray

Members online