This Day in Music History

analoggal

Woman of the Country
Reaction score
May 2, 1968…At the Record Plant in New York City, the Jimi Hendrix Experience recorded "Voodoo Chile."

May 2, 1977…Eric Clapton recorded "Wonderful Tonight." He had written the song the previous September for Patti Boyd while waiting for her to get ready to attend Paul and Linda McCartney's annual Buddy Holly party.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I feel my years reading your post Analoggal...:gg:

:heheh:

I didn't get wrapped up in the Hendrix phenomenon back then, it wasn't until the 70's I started paying attention to rock music.

If memory serves that EC song is off Slowhand, my personal favorite of his solo albums.

analoggal

Woman of the Country
Reaction score
In History May 3rd

May 3, 1968…The Beach Boys began a 17-date tour of the U.S. with a show in New York. The second half of the concert featured the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, who lectured the audience on "spiritual regeneration." The reaction was so negative that more than half of the remaining tour dates were cancelled.
Looks like Good Vibrations are in order here:

May 3, 1971…During a concert in Denmark, Led Zeppelin played their song "Four Sticks" for the first and only time in concert.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
What were the BB's thinking anyway?? They are a party band and having a spiritual advisor at a concert is insane.

I've always liked Four Sticks, wonder why they never played it live again.

analoggal

Woman of the Country
Reaction score
May 6th in History

1965 - According to Keith Richards, he fell asleep in a Clearwater, FL hotel room & woke up to discover he’d composed the riff of (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction” on his tape recorder.

1972 -Tyrannosaurus Rex's double album 'Prophets, Seers And Sages And The Angels Of The Ages / My People Were Fair And Had Sky In Their Hair But Now Their Content To Wear Stars On Their Brows went to No.1 in the UK. It was longest title of an album ever at the time. (Has there actually been an album with a longer title since??) From the album: "Deboraarobed"

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^That is a mouthful, can't say if it's the longest album title off hand but it must be a contender.

When I look at Keith Richards now it makes me sad, he's really aged fast the last decade.

analoggal

Woman of the Country
Reaction score
May 7th in History

1971 - The Rolling Stones' "Brown Sugar" was released in the U.S. It was the first record on their label, Rolling Stones Records.

1977 - The Eagles' "Hotel California" hits #1.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I'd forgotten the Stones created their own label, but if you can afford it then it's the best way to go for an established band.

I preferred the Eagles before Hotel California, which I didn't own until a few years ago. But I can't deny that album rocketed them to superstardom.

analoggal

Woman of the Country
Reaction score
The Eagles have always been a favorite of mine. We saw them Nov. '76 at the Crisler Arena in Ann Arbor, MI. We were absolutely floored when we walked in and saw guitars lined across the full width of the stage! They used every guitar during the concert. What a fabulous concert it was - to this day, we fondly remember the event. The Eagles are going to be in KY and we're thinking about going to see them again.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nowiknowitsJAG

Members online