Thin Lizzy (Official Thread)

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
Has anyone listened to the 2012's "Black Star Riders - All Hell Breaks Loose" album featuring a few remaining Lizzy members? Can it be considered to be a Thin Lizzy album?

I bought it back when it came out and I think it's a really good album, one of the better rock albums of 2013, but not perfect and honestly feeling more like a tribute to Thin Lizzy than a Thin Lizzy album, but I guess that was the point in the first place. They did the right thing by changing their name.

I saw them opening for Judas Priest when they were still called Thin Lizzy and although I know it wasn't the real thing - you just can't replace Phil, even if you sing sort of like him - I had major goosebumps all trough the show. Thin Lizzy was/is one of my all-time favourite bands and that was the closest thing I'll ever get to seeing the real thing live. :uh:

On a side note, Marco Mendoza has now left the band.

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
Big fan up until Lynott died..... 'Fighting' and 'Johnny the Fox' were for me almost as great albums as 'Jailbreak' ....but really nothing since as Lynott was 90% of that band, one of THE great song writers, from a long list of truly great Irish song writers, even though they were all great musicians without him for me it's just another OK rock band, but that harmonic twin lead guitar attack sound that Scott Gorham and Brain Robertson had going was unique and wonderful.

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score
I bought it back when it came out and I think it's a really good album, one of the better rock albums of 2013, but not perfect and honestly feeling more like a tribute to Thin Lizzy than a Thin Lizzy album, but I guess that was the point in the first place. They did the right thing by changing their name.]

Going to order this album tomorrow. Sounds like a must-have:wank:

I would love to see Lizzy/Black Star Riders live, even without the late, great Phil Lynott. Hopefully they'll come out to our neck of the woods one day. The only way I can get to see them at the moment is through their "Live and Dangerous" dvd.

Moore_82

Reaction score
One of my finer moments that occurred four years ago :D

Hanging with Brian Downey.
386855_10150916721100417_816432247_n.jpg

Hanging with Scott Gorham.
310274_10150916721870417_865767352_n.jpg

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Nice photos Moore82, rubbing shoulders with legends.:D

metalife

Reaction score
Thin Lizzy are one of my top five bands of all time, and would be my most favorite band from the 70s. They are criminally under-rated by many, but deserve to be acknowledged for the duel guitar melodies that were taken to the next level by Iron Maiden and Judas Priest. People credit Black Sabbath as the creators of heavy metal, well there's certainly a large percentage of Thin Lizzy in the mix.

They're a band who progressed over the course of their career. Whiskey in the Jar is as far removed from Thunder and Lightning as you could get, but while they did venture into different territories they maintained the unique Thin Lizzy sound that made them such a great band.

My first introduction to Thin Lizzy was in 1989 when I was 9 and watching Guns N Roses Live at the Ritz on MTV. Axl was wearing a Thin Lizzy T shirt and I wondered what it was. A few years later, and into my teens, I brought an Anthrax single and they'd covered the Cowboy Song as a second track. Reading the liner notes (another advantage of buying physical music and not downloading - you learn stuff!!! :) ) I discovered it was a song by Thin Lizzy.

Being in my mid teens and not having a source of income I wasn't able to just rush out and by CDs on a whim. It wasn't until the early 2000s when I had a steady job that I came across Jailbreak in a music store (I miss music stores. The amount of treasures I've discovered by flicking through the racks is unmeasured against anything the digital world has to offer.) So I brought the album, took it home and I loved it! It was the best thing I'd heard in ages. At the time hard rock and metal was all, down tuned, hip hop inspired anger with no solos. I'd given up on metal and started diving deeper into the 60s and 70s (which I'd already had a love for the music. It wasn't until I discovered Dream Theater and Nightwish soon after - and therefore progressive metal and symphony metal that my love for heavy returned.)

Within a month of combing music stores I'd purchase all Thin Lizzy albums from Fighting onwards. It's still not that easy to get the earlier ones. Although I did recently pick up Shades of a Blue Orphanage.

There's something magical about this band. The guitars, the swing of the drums, the poetic lyrics penned by Phil...

I got to see Thin Lizzy support Motley Crue and Kiss last year. Me and my friend arrive just at the start of Thin Lizzy set and walking towards the stage I had to stop and listen. For a moment Ricky Warwick sounded like Phil Lynott. It was amazing. I, for one, am happy they're keeping the memory of
Phil alive. Although, it was the right thing to do when they chose to go with Black Star Riders over Thin Lizzy for the new album - which is awesome I must add!!!

Thin Lizzy - Hald Caste -- A bit of a lost song which is one of my favorites.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online